Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply PBcastco
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 30 Herrett Contender loads

Boolit Buddy
    Hope you find what it takes, I kinda had my mind set on that mold.
    With the 100 and 115 grn RN I've been trying I've had the best results with moderate loads of 2400 and IMR4227. They're about a Lyman #2 mix.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFM View Post
    I think I'll try a 311410 next month.
    Did you ever try the 311410? Results?

I found as long as I kept the velocity below about 1500 fps shooting straight WW, I had pretty good accuracy with cast boolits and several powders. Add a CG and I could drive them near J-word velocities with good accuracy using 4198, 3031, 4227 and even BL-C(2) (best in my 7mmTCU). This was in the 80s and I have not shot much since then. Now I'm working up loads for the .30 Herrett and it's bigger brother .357 Herrett once again.

I'd like to find a 311414 and give that a try for pistol silhouette (I want the heavier boolit for full-size ram knockdown power at 200m).
    Last edited by Mark85304; 07-23-2012 at 07:32 PM.
    --
    Mark
    Glendale, AZ

NRA Life Member
    ASRPA Life Member

Thompson Center Contender Pistol Barrels in:
    .22LR - .22 Hornet - .22 K-Hornet- .223 Rem - .270 REN - 7MM TCU - 7-30 Waters - .30-30 Win - .30 Herrett - .32-20 Win - .357 Magnum - .357 Herrett - .35 Rem - .375 Winchester - .44 Magnum - .444 Marlin - .45-70 Govt

Thompson Center Contender Pistol Barrels Wanting:
    .17 Mach - .22 Jet - .256 Win Mag - 6MM TCU - .30 Carbine

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry to say I've hardly done anything shooting related since about my last post.
    I lost most of my vision in my right eye and I'm waiting on docs right now to find out if there is any way to get it back.

Boolit Master

Sorry to say I've hardly done anything shooting related since about my last post.
    I lost most of my vision in my right eye and I'm waiting on docs right now to find out if there is any way to get it back.
    I have that problem with a catarac.
    Learning to shoot pistols with your left eye ain't bad. Rifles left handed are tough.
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

Boolit Buddy
    Problem isn't cataracts. I've known I had them developing for several years.
    That's really how the eye doc found the problem, I had decided it was time to get that cataract surgery lined up and was in to get all the examinations and checks done in preparation.
    He found I have a CRVO and now after a couple more doctors they're trying to figure out what caused it and why it happened so fast.

Boolit Master
    I wish you luck with your vision problems. Bout the closest I have ever come is a real bad wealders burn, but that is it.

I too am suffering from a severe case of Thompsonius Barreleitus. I have both a Contender and an Encore frame and so far I have acquired a 14 inch 308 Win, a 24 inch 338-06, a 14 inch 7-30 waters, a 10 inch 7 TCU, a 30 herret, a 12 inch 41 mag, a 14 inch 44 mag, and a 10 inch 45 colt. I buy most any barrels that I can get for under 150.00 regardless of caliber.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Grand Master
    JohnFM,
    My thoughts are with you. Hope there is an answer to the vision problem. Yes, I have the Pacific dies, only because they came with the barrel. In any event, they work for me and have produced many good rounds. I form the brass in the die, mark a cut off point and slip the brass into a 1"x2" with a hole drilled to hold the case and then it's held in my stand up vise. Friction fit is all that's needed to hold the brass. Use a dremel to rough cut to length and then finish up with the Lee case trimmer. Had to special order the case length gage from Lee, but it was well worth it. Can poroduce many pre-fire formed brass in short order. Same for the .35 Herrett.

Boolit Buddy
    I had rigged up a jig on a drill press with a shell holder from a Lee trimmer and a thin Dremmel saw blade for doing the initial cut off.
    Then after forming a final trim on a Forster.
    made for pretty quick work.

Still don't know what's going to happen with my eyes. Got about a week yet till another doctor appointment. It's reached the point now where I have to be really careful driving.

Problem isn't cataracts. I've known I had them developing for several years.
    That's really how the eye doc found the problem, I had decided it was time to get that cataract surgery lined up and was in to get all the examinations and checks done in preparation.
    He found I have a CRVO and now after a couple more doctors they're trying to figure out what caused it and why it happened so fast.
    Sorry to hear about you issue with your vision. I hope you find a solution. My family has a history of Macular Degeneration (SP?) and I am afraid of it coming my way. Not much one can do about that.
    --
    Mark
    Glendale, AZ

NRA Life Member
    ASRPA Life Member

Thompson Center Contender Pistol Barrels in:
    .22LR - .22 Hornet - .22 K-Hornet- .223 Rem - .270 REN - 7MM TCU - 7-30 Waters - .30-30 Win - .30 Herrett - .32-20 Win - .357 Magnum - .357 Herrett - .35 Rem - .375 Winchester - .44 Magnum - .444 Marlin - .45-70 Govt

Thompson Center Contender Pistol Barrels Wanting:
    .17 Mach - .22 Jet - .256 Win Mag - 6MM TCU - .30 Carbine

Boolit Buddy
    Wish I could add something good to this thread, but I'm at a standstill.
    No shooting, reloading, casting, nada.
    Slews of blood tests have been done trying to find a cause for my vision loss, there's nothing abnormal.
    I just got this friggen plug in the main vein in my eyeball!
    Back in wait mode now while the sawbones try to figure out what to do next.

Boolit Grand Master
    Good luck. I bet the Doc's find something to get 'er done. Hang in there.

Boolit Master

Wish I could add something good to this thread, but I'm at a standstill.
    No shooting, reloading, casting, nada.
    Slews of blood tests have been done trying to find a cause for my vision loss, there's nothing abnormal.
    I just got this friggen plug in the main vein in my eyeball!
    Back in wait mode now while the sawbones try to figure out what to do next.
    I found out what I though was a catarac was what you have. I got an injection (Yep, needle in the eye) this week. I go back next month for more and then lazers to weld some leaks.
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

The Hodgdon web site has load data for many cartridges, including this one.

http://hodgdon.com/

Preferred powders for your weight bullet are IMR 3031, IMR 4198, IMR 4227, & H110.

Take care, Tom

I just started cast for the 30 Herrett myself . I'm working with a lee 309-150-F. Its a good looking bullet I think. I reduced the J data I had with 4759 and IMR4198 I had them too hot , the lighter end shot better. I'm going with the 4198 and seating them out further and see what happens . The first testing I got around 1 1/2" at 50 yrds. Looks promising I believe I can tighten this up a bunch more. This is my first batch from staight ACWW's , sized .309 and lubed with carnuba red . I would like to try some ranch dogs if anyone has any they could sell
    Last edited by marshall623; 08-17-2012 at 02:55 PM.
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Master

If we are posting pictures of 30 Herret CB loads, here is what I used before moving on to a .357 Max,

Heavier than what the OP is interested in, loaded with a certain amount of IMR 4227 it is good for 1650 ft/sec. in a 10" barrel.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 30H - NEI 160gr half.JPG  

I know this is an old thread, but I've been shooting the Herrett alot this summer experimenting. My wife and I both plan to take whitetails with this cartridge this fall.

I am really liking the 113 Lee "soupcan" over 20-21 Grs of Win 296. I can dig my chrony info out if anybody is really interested, but It is very accurate out to 100 yards, but may becoming unstable between 130-150 yards.

I have 3 different pistol length 30 Herretts and 1 rifle tube on the contender frame. Seating depth varies for each barrel. Size all of them to .310 and havn't experienced any leading with WD-COWW. They all weigh in between 123-124 grains. I segregate by .5 grns. Win or Federal primers. Leaning towards Win primers right now.

I hear alot of folks do not like win 296 in the Herrett. I have found it to be quite the winner in my tubes. Have not experimented with temperature swings yet. Plan to place a few in a cooler and see how they react to very low temps.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have had very good results with the old group buy intended for the K-31 Swiss rifle and 2230 powder. Zips along and is scarry accurate.

I've written about the 30 Herrett (as well as many more Contender rounds) and as coincidence would have it, I'm planning to sell all four of my remaining barrels this weekend at a gun show, plus the pistol frame and the complete carbine. One of them is the 30 Herrett which I've had from the very beginning almost 35 years ago. If they all sell, I'll be out of the Contender business for good. I won't mind if they don't sell, though.

I made my longest kill on a muley with that barrel - 425 steps, or perhaps 350 yards. I shoot a few 110-gr RN cast bullets through it, but it sees mostly 125 Ballistic Tips, Hornady 110 RN bullets for the 30 Carbine, and 100 half-jacket Speer Plinkers.

im just getting into gc boolits for hunting. ive casted for years for my 9mm,.40 and .45. i decided to get going on my .357 herrett and use it for hunting whitetail this year, i wondered if i could make my .30 herrett hit with enough oomph to use it for hunting deer... i killed my first whitetail with a pistol last year with my 7-30 waters... i have ordered molds in 7mm and .30 off the gb section for next years hunting... contenderitus does get ahold of you then there is no turning back lol.... i also have a 270 ren, 44 mag, 7tcu, .35 remmy, and a custom 204 ruger necked up to 6mm.. basically a 6tcu but 204 ruger case is a tad longer...called a 240 raptor<---DEATH on groundhogs...also i just picked op a .221 fireball barrel.... looks like i need to fix my sig now ...sierra manual has alot of older wildcat loads in it but for jacketed bullets ofc...
    PMI pistol range USMC 85-89

im looking for these contender pistol barrels--> 6tcu,.30herrett

barrels i have-->.221 fireball,7-30 waters,7tcu,.357 herrett,.44 mag,6.5tcu

There's only 2 people in this world i trust, one of them is me the other one's not you...

Boolit Master

Jixxerbill

A member here in the past used the 115 grain Lee boolit for W.V. wihte tail deer out of the 30 Herrett Contender.

Early on in the beginning of handgun hunting, the 110 grain Soft Nose Carbine bullet was popular for deer.

I know it will kill small deer at 2150 fps
    Last edited by TCLouis; 11-06-2012 at 09:09 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast