WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Savage 219 --- 30-30

Boolit Bub

Savage 219 --- 30-30

Does anyone have a load worked up for one of these fellows. I tried some jackets but didn't do what I expected it would. Have some 122 gr GC I'm going to try with 7.5 of Unique behind it. Any help would be appreciated. Have Fun

Boolit Master
    I'm working on mine too, just shot some today in fact. 16 grs. of 2400 with a 170 fn gc seems to shoot pretty well. I need to scope mine, as I'm having a hard time with the factory sights. 1" @ 50 yds. is the best I could do. I tried 10 grs. of Unique a while back, and remember it doing OK too. Good luck.

That's pretty good, Dubber. Unique works well for plinking loads, and I have good luck with RE7 at the higher hunting velocities in my .30-30 Contender carbine with soupcans and 150FN boolits. Next tests in it are for 170FN and two 180FN boolits.
    Born OK the first time.

Boolit Master
    I will probably be happy if I can get consistant 1" groups. I think I got spoiled with my Marlin 32-20, the first 2 groups were .6" and .5". The sights are better on the Marlin, and even the trigger is better. I like the Savage, but you can tell the trigger was designed for an inexpensive shotgun. I may get brave and tune it up a bit. A good trigger makes up for a lot with me.

It is sometimes miraculous what a good cleaning will do for a poor trigger. Lightly buffing the contact surfaces won't hurt either. I'm not talking about adjusting the pull weight by stoning, or messing with the engagement at all, just a simple cleaning and polishing. Especially in an older gun that has seen some rough use.
    Born OK the first time.

Boolit Master
    I've had this one as stripped as can be without knocking out pins, and it was actually pretty clean, I don't think it had been used much. I cleaned and lubed it well with synthetic oil which helped, but it's still heavy and creepy. I think a little stoning is in order.

There is one lesson I learned the hard way a long time ago: Never start playing with the engagement in a trigger for which there is no replacement available. A little rouge or some clover compound on a dremel polisher is one thing, but a stone in the hands of a newby is an iffy thing. I learned to do minor trigger work on Mauser triggers - if (and when ) I went too far, replacements were and are easy to come by. I don't know if you can still get triggers for those old Savages, but I would find out first. The person who taught me basic trigger work was so good at it that I simply sent most of them to him anyway - he could do in minutes what would take me hours. Anyone can do a little polishing, though.
    Born OK the first time.

Boolit Master
    I have Gunparts Corps. big catalog, and pretty much anything other than barrels seems to be readily available. I will have to pull the stock again and see whats involved. Pinned together guns can be a pain to reassemble.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    I saw one in .30/30,I kinda like the Savage 219!