Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Haenel Aydt 8.15x46 data

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

Haenel Aydt 8.15x46 data

This rifle is chambered in 8.15x46 mm as quite a few were. Does anyone here have a load using the Lyman 316475, or similar, bullet?

I found a couple of loads using some of the IMR powders which I don't have and really don't want to buy (such as IMR 4759) unless there is no other option. Once I have shot this rifle and worked up a load for it, it will undoubtedly end up in the safe with the rest of the guns and perhaps not shot again for years.

I did find a load using 4895 but it is a jacketed bullet load and I'm not sure how that will cross over to cast.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Mold
    Go over to the Single Shot Rifle Assn. site at assra.com. Bunch of folks over there that can get you lined out.
    Jim

Boolit Master

My Barnes COW states that the 8.15x46R is comparable to the .32-40 WCF and lists a couple 'generic' loads: 190 gr. boolit over 23 gr. 3031 for 1500 fps and 150 gr boolit over 30 gr. 4895 for 1900 fps. Just my nickel's worth but, considering that many (most?) of the guns chambered for this round were originally built for BP, I believe I'd really lean toward the conservative side working up a load.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

One of the best and most used loads in ASSRA/ISSA matches for the 8.15x46R is 13.0 gr of 4227. If your shooting fixed ammo I would start at 12.5 but go no higher than 14.0 with PB bullets.

Frank

Boolit Master

Powder for 8.15x46r

I heartily agree with what frnkeore has said. My Aydt in 8.15x46 shot very well using 13.5 grains of 4227 behind Lyman's 321232 sized to .319.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

I use a stop ring bullet that is available from Buffalo Arms. it is fairly soft and weighs in at 180gns. I am working on two loads right now 21 grns of 3031 and 14,5 of 4227. My rifle is a bolt action. Have not shot the 4227 load yet but the 3031 is very accurate so far.

Boolit Master

Love the cartridge

I forgot to say in my previous post how much I liked the 8.15x46 cartridge. It is a much better round fthan the 32.40 for target shooting in my humble opinion . I have also owned great German hunting rifles chambered for the round. I found it was very easy to make brass for by trimmimg 30-30 cases. I understand that the shuetzen guys have developed a round similar to the 8.15x46 based on a shortened 32.40 case.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Bub
    For max accuracy, slug your bore and do a cerro-safe chamber cast. The Euro-gunsmith/builders were rather individualistic when it came to standards in that era. Bores and chambers can vary a fair amount from what we consider standard.
    You will have better results with bullets properly matched to the rifles barrel and chamber throat.
    It is not unknown to find that some previous owner altered the chamber of one of these fine old rifles in order to shoot American ammo in his or his dad's WW2 war trophy

In general the ASSRA's experience seems to be that, while stop-ring are more "authentic" to traditional Germanic schuetzen practice, a properly dimensioned and alloyed straight sided or tapered bullet breechseated will be more accurate.

One must consider that that the germanic practice with these rifles was very off-hand oriented; and that shooter-induced angle of dispersion may well have cancelled out the additional degree of accuracy gained by breech seating over using stop-ring or other "fixed" ammunition. There is also a factor of being able to load and take aimed fire with out shifting ones stance or, to take advantage of fluctuating shooting conditions.

Among ASSRA shooters the debate is ongoing.
    I am currently starting to shoot a Swiss stutzen/schuetzen rifle (in another caliber/cartridge. I have acquired two very similar moulds for it; one with the stop ring one without I hope to develop my own opinion based on my own experience

Note too that there is an ongoing Group buy of a NOE stop ring bullet especially for the 8.15x46r rifles

See: castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=144707
    Last edited by the other DWS; 06-12-2012 at 05:57 PM. Reason: addendum

Banned
    I have an odd 8.15x46R.
    It is a small ring Mauser with a Krupp-Laufstahl barrel on that only slugs .314".
    Magazine has a wooden block that makes it a single loader and original trigger has been replaced with a double set trigger.

Guess how many sizers and moulds are in .314-.315
    Currently i'm shooting a honed Lee .312-185 1R that now casts .315 with a homemade gascheck.
    Going @500-540m/s~1650-1750fps gives under 2.5cm~1" groups at 25m~27yds, so further load development is pending.
    I load 21-22grains Norma N200.
    Funny thing is that my Hornady dieset sizes exactly right for the brass to accept the .315" boolit.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    I did find a load using 4895 but it is a jacketed bullet load
    I am new on this site looking for just such information.
    A friend has a 8.15 x 46R
    and I have volunteered to reload for him.
    I am looking for all options.
    We have not slugged the bore yet.
    Thanks
    Pat

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
    I am new on this site looking for just such information.
    A friend has a 8.15 x 46R
    and I have volunteered to reload for him.
    I am looking for all options.
    We have not slugged the bore yet.
    Thanks
    Pat
    Pat shoot some data and i'll give you some calculated loads.

Boolit size/weight
    Barrel length
    And avaliable powders to you

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Thief View Post
    Pat shoot some data and i'll give you some calculated loads.

Boolit size/weight
    Barrel length
    And avaliable powders to you
    Thank you for your reply.
    I volunteered to reload for a friend even though I no longer cast.
    So, boolits are the real issue. He has not given me a bore diameter,
    so I am currently in limbo. I would like to go a jacketed bullet if the diameter works out.
    Or buy cast at the proper diameter.
    I could go smokeless or black.
    I have heard 4895, 3031 or even 4759 would work.
    I have Swiss 3F and 2F.
    But like I say, I am in limbo.
    My friend is busy unpacking after moving from Ohio to Colorado.
    So I will update as soon as possible.
    BTW Chicken Thief
    My friend will probably never compete with this rifle.
    It will be a fun shooter off the deck at home.
    Thanks
    Pat

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    8.15x46R Loading Data
    30-30 Reformed Cases
    Federal 215 LR Magnum Primer No Flash Hole Wad
    Alliant 300MP Powder
    BACO 0.316 Stop Ring 180gr (174gr 1:20)
    12gr with a median fps of 1224

If you can't find 300MP, H110 has the same burn rate
    Regards
    John

Could you please explain how you load that stop ring bullet? Do you just seat by hand? Do you lube all of the grooves or only those below the ring?

Boolit Master
    According to most of what I've read, the action dates back to the late 1840s but the cartridge was originally a smokeless design, introduced in 1893. You can load BP if you want but it was intended as a low-pressure smokeless target round for offhand competition.
    The 32-40 is a virtual twin in terms of load data and performance.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

I just use .32-40 data. It works great. And I never used stop ring bullets either, and had great accuracy. Used .32-40 brass also, and on mine bullets sized to .316", but they vary quite a bit gun to gun.