Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: M1 Garand load for thrifty power use?

M1 Garand load for thrifty power use?

Gentlemen,

While me and my mentor have been working and expanding on the famous 13 grain red dot load for the 30-06 it has been fruitful in all but the arena of the M1. Likely because the gas system does not lend itself to accuracy with such a mousy load. In fact I gave up on low power loads for the M1 entirely early on but I like the idea of the M1 as an affordable semi auto option for a caster should powder supplies dry up.

I'd like to get a defensive load (at least 357 mag poundage or better) that can be used with any 30 cal lee mold (we have them all I believe as well as a few others such as a 200 and 220 grain) that can be used accurately in the M1 with or without cycling action (I dont mind using the M1 as a straight pull is the load is accurate and thrifty. Red dot or varget prefered but open to other options.

As always your input is highly regarded. I apologize in advance if this is already been posted, I didnt see anything in search quite right.

Boolit Master
    I have had success with WC872 under a Lee 200 grain bullet. It is minute of softball accurate at about 50 yards standing, but I haven't tested it against paper yet at a known distance.

I use 58 grains of that powder, which I picked up at Pats reloading for $39.00/8 lbs. It is not quite as cheap as the Red Dot load above, but should still keep you around ¢10 a shot including gas check and primer, assuming you don't pay for lead.

¢10 a shot seems to be the real magic barrier with 30-06 and gas systems. I searched long and hard before I found this combination.

At some point I am going to try this load plain base and see how that works out. If it works well then I am down below ¢7 a shot.

Boolit Master
    I use the same load as sqlbullet, except I have had accuracy issues with anything over 43 grs. Under 43 grs and the M1 won't cycle. I use 3 grs. of Unique as a kicker and a dacron filler with a magnum primer. There is a lot of information on using 860 and 872 over on the surplus powder page.

Quote Originally Posted by hydraulic View Post
    I use the same load as sqlbullet, except I have had accuracy issues with anything over 43 grs. Under 43 grs and the M1 won't cycle. I use 3 grs. of Unique as a kicker and a dacron filler with a magnum primer. There is a lot of information on using 860 and 872 over on the surplus powder page.
    I think maybe I didnt clarify. I'm not worried about shots per dollar but shots per pound. I'm looking to put some power back in a environmental sound place to store awhile.

Boolit Master
    I found good results with the M1 and heavy boolits 200 and over with Varget around 33 grains. I also put a Dacron filler in around .7-1.0.

Boolit Bub
    +1 on Zomby's load. I've had great results in 03A3 and Garand using 311291 with 32 grains Varget and 311299 using 34 grains Varget, both with dacron filler. Both run mid 1900 fps over the chrony.

SAJTU

Moderator Emeritus

I run a Schuster adjustable gas plug in mine and run it as a straight pull bolt with cast and get much better accuracy than I did when looking for a load that both shot well and cycled.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Quote Originally Posted by SAJTU View Post
    +1 on Zomby's load. I've had great results in 03A3 and Garand using 311291 with 32 grains Varget and 311299 using 34 grains Varget, both with dacron filler. Both run mid 1900 fps over the chrony.

SAJTU
    And if you dont use filler?