Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Paper patching, what works for me.

Such eye candy! I must confess I am jealous.

Ok so the bore is a little large. Don't forget that there is some springback on the case mouth so it may still be possible to get a .318 patched boolit to fit. My little shorty has a bore around there and the patched boolits to fut the throat seat just fine in an unsized neck. I'm not worried about neck expansion space with paper patched boolits. My theory is they just slide out. Well, most of the time anyway.

I got clever and thought I would firelap the bore with a paper patched boolit. Don't roll the boolit in grit until after seating.

No pressure issues though.

I forgot to answer on the gas check. Yeah, leave it off. I suppose one can patch over a gas check but I think the rebate is best left for the patch to sit in. It prevents trailing edge feathering. I was getting a lot of that with square bases so I came up with a small rebate that solved that problem.

My molds are homemade smooth side nose pours. I do have a Lee 180 .311 mold that casts too small for the Brit but suites paper patching. I'm still to range test them. (Kinda been out of it for a while - soon though).

Oh yes - that rusted bore? Well this is it after fire-lapping.

Last edited by 303Guy; 08-15-2018 at 04:29 AM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Now we,re getting somewhere. I have a need for lead pp bullet in the 6.5x53r Dutch. If jackets don’t shoot to well. Does this sticky work for 6.5 rifles as well? What about antique bores with a large difference between land and groove. The 8mm kropatschek too.

Thanks pdawg! I have done pretty much all you said except for the final seating by the rifling.
    My bullet is a dedicated PP mold with grooves that resemble TL grooves of a Lee mold. It also had a very slight bevel base to avoid paper tear. It's a 150gn RNFP .301, which fits my 3006 nicely. Looking fwd to trying the breech seating.

http://www.castbulletengineering.com...-double-cavity
    THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN HIT THE CENTRE OF THE TARGET IS WITH A CENTREFIRE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Is there a list of paper thickness? Anyone spent the time to mic some of them?
    I'm currently using 95 GSM tracing paper, it's very tough. It measures .003" exactly what I needed with 2 wraps.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    So some of you , if you would, post some pictures of what a finished product is supposed to look like. Does the paper have to extend past the case mouth?
    The paper will cover most of the bullet, as it needs to extend at least 1/32" of an inch past the start of the ogive of the bullet. So yes a lot of paper is visible usually. But as others have stated, its chamber dependant also.

Boolit Master

I only started casting for traditional rifle cartridges 8 years ago. I say traditional as my first rifle was a Marlin 1895C in 41 Magnum. 8 years ago, I asked my Dad if I could try cast in his sporterized 03A3 for which I only had one mold, the Lee 309-150 RF. Yes I know I should have bought the 309-170 RF, but the 150 was half off. My Wife inherited a Winchester 30-30 from her Grandfather and I figured why not.

The 150 RF shot well through my Dad's 03A3 just fine with Javalina lube. I have since switched to powder coating for everything, but I still want to try PPCR for something. I was recently gifted an 1891 Argentine Mauser 7.65 x 53 that is pristine, reportedly has only seen 20 rounds during it's lifetime, unfired when imported in the 1950s. Although a good candidate, I think I want to PPCR for Dad's 03A3 before he passes, he's pushing 81. I want to show Dad I am respecting his rifle and traditional reloading techniques. Then, I will start PPCR with a 45 Colt Carbine single shot just for me.

Lot's of knowledge learned here at Cast Boolits, I plan on tinkering and experimenting until I can no longer. After all, Dad taught me how to cast and reload as a teenager. Frank
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234