Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Mihec 454640 Auto Rim results

Boolit Buddy

Mihec 454640 Auto Rim results

Using a Smith & Wesson model 1988 (25-2) with a five inch barrel, about twenty five were loaded in new Remington Auto Rim brass, over a higher than currently recommended charge of Herco. These were fairly hard at a Brinell of 14 one day after casting, with the small hollowpoint pin, sized to .452 ,and lubricated with LBT Blue; they are 253 grains from my alloy.

Chronograph results- quite consistent.

High - 1027
    Low - 1004
    ES - 23
    Ave - 1016
    SD - 8

These hollowpoints are not opening at this velocity when fired through six inches of white pine, but they do appear to be obturating on inspection, with some compression of the lubrication groove.

Earlier attempts to use faster WST were disastrous, with keyholes at 15 yards.

There is some easy to remove leading; the bullet might do better if it was softer. On the other hand, the lands and grooves are extremely shallow, so perhaps it needs to be harder. Accuracy is only fair so far, probably because of diminishing daylight and the absence of a rest, and ran between three and four inches at twenty five yards for ten shots.

Overall length will be fine in the 45 colt Winchester Trapper, and the Ruger Blackhawk, where velocity with slower powders should expand the HP.

I was a little surprised that the results thread was archived so quickly; thinking that these results might be of additional help to the recent recipients of this mold, and with gratitude for lead her fly's efforts getting this thing done and with his subsequent request for more info, I thought I would go ahead with this post, if no one objects. Will be posting more on the same bullet in the 45 colt later. Of course, thanks also to Miha for another great mold.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20120515_180431.jpg  

Thanks for the report. I received one of the molds but haven't cast with it yet.

I would like to try it in 45 ACP brass in a strong single action revolver. Someday when I have some spare time to burn...

I was thinking more along the lines of AA7 to 2400, although I'd be more than satisfied with the 1000fps you got out of it.

-ktw

groo here
    Denul
    Often wood will hold a bullet together instead of opening it..
    J. D. Jones once showed me a 17 cal bullet out of a contender shot into oak,
    it was still in one piece ...

Boolit Buddy
    Velocity dropped about 60 fps in a 4 inch model 625. AA7 and 2400 should work. 2400 was loaded pretty heavily in 45 AR years ago. Groo-good to hear from you again. You're right about the wood, in these it clogs the HP cavity. These still tear up lot of wood.even without expanding.

Boolit Buddy
    Good report my friend! Will be trying some of these in my M625JM! I have a load with SR4756 that will give me 1100fps from the same weight bullet as these.

Just not enough time in the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Skip
    Born Again 1983
    USMC 1973-1979

“A reputation for a thousand years may depend upon the conduct of a single moment”

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Something to help out:
    1. Cast with a lead/tin alloy, somewhere around 25:1 or a little softer.... or.... try a 25%WW / 75% Pb alloy air cooled.
    2. Use the large HP pins
    Results will have expansion with your load.... which might be reduced slightly due to a heavier boolit with the softer alloys.

Boolit Buddy
    I know, I know - pretty good supply of hard alloy on hand ( ww, linotype), not so much the softer stuff. I'm sure you're correct on this. Will post more when softer alloy is found.