RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: world’s worst bullet mold

OK, did you have fun bashing them. They make good fishing molds. What did you make today?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    It is still a pretty poor example of a bullet mold. Obviously not made by a cast bullet shooter.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Love Life
    It is kind of interesting.

Boolit Master
    It's interesting that it sold for $17! hmm.....
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    It is still a pretty poor example of a bullet mold. Obviously not made by a cast bullet shooter.
    It requires snipping the sprue. But the molds I have from them cast better than any other fishing mold makers. Has anybody tried one? Do any of you critics know how to use sprue snippers?

So many people whine about how bad things are but criticize a small american company who try to expand their product line. All you critics should shut your mouths unless you have direct knowledge of the results of the boolit.

Shame shame shame.

Some day you can get all your molds at the Lee Chow Win bolit works. Big discount!

Boolit Buddy
    Hey bearcove if it makes you feel better, I have considered having a bullet mold made with out a sprue plate , what I have found out using some of the Do-It sinker molds is if you use WW, cast hot and water drop, those sprues snap off pretty clean, no snipping, same for the Capt. Morgan style Buckshot mold I have, it works slick and as far as production goes it puts a Lee six cavity to shame.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Who knows, it might work OK. Sure not a standard design, it would be interesting
    to give it a try and see what happens.

Bill
    Positive response.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Let's see, boolit base formed by side cutters. Boolit base steers the boolit, is the most sensitive part and needs to be the best formed for a useful boolit.

Somehow, I don't think so. Somebody doesn't know how boolits work.
    Actually a sprue cutter can cut it off flush.

I am just tired of people being critical of some thing they have not even held in their hands much less tried.

I know its not the ideal setup for casting boolits, BUT how many people do you employ in the US making casting equipment? If its ZERO then maybe you should engage your brain before your mouth!

End of rant until next time!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Okay, so buy it, and report on how wonderful it works.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

I have seen old boolit molds that made a single round ball and had a sprue cutter made into the handle. Kind of the same principle. I wouldn't want to cast for my 358win wit one of those, but it might just make acceptable RB's. It depends how well the cavities line up. I can't tell from the picture whether or not it has any alignment pins. If it does, I dont see how that is a huge disadvantage over a traditional mold, except for the absence of a sprue plate, witch is easily taken care of with some good quality diagonal cutters. Not quite my cup-a-tea, but if I were just wanting to get some RB's for the muzzle loader, and was currently swaging them out of WW's with a pair of pliers, (been there, done that) this mold would be just the ticket, (especially if I had never heard of Lee precision.)
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Winning bid: US $16.98
    cheapest price for a 3 banger I seen in awhile

That big ole sprue should allow lots of lead to draw from so no void in the boolit.

http://www.hiltsmolds.com/MuzzleLoadingBallMolds.htm

making 5 cavity gang molds

.45 CALIBER .440" diameter $34.95

.45 CALIBER PISTOL .454" diameter $34.95

.50 CALIBER .490" diameter $34.95

.54 CALIBER .530" diameter $34.95

but couldn't find a picture of 'em
    Last edited by Artful; 05-23-2012 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    I can't tell from the picture whether or not it has any alignment pins. If it does, I dont see how that is a huge disadvantage over a traditional mold, except for the absence of a sprue plate, witch is easily taken care of with some good quality diagonal cutters.

appears to have a single pin on the handle side

As far as worst mold I have seen and actually own

got in a box deal - never tried to use it - yet
    Last edited by Artful; 05-23-2012 at 01:16 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Well, I guess it looks better inside than I thought, but it still comes down to what the finished boolits look like.

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post

As far as worst mold I have seen and actually own

got in a box deal - never tried to use it - yet
    Geeze someone else actually has one of those??? I have a nearly identical mold. One cavity is a .300 round ball and the other is similar to yours, but the "ogive" is a bit more bottle neck shaped as I recall (can't get to it right now) and has a much narrower dia than the RB. What on earth is that second cavity used for?

Boolit Master
    I'm withholding judgement until I see the groups...

Quote Originally Posted by RugerFan View Post
    Geeze someone else actually has one of those??? I have a nearly identical mold. One cavity is a .300 round ball and the other is similar to yours, but the "ogive" is a bit more bottle neck shaped as I recall (can't get to it right now) and has a much narrower dia than the RB. What on earth is that second cavity used for?
    I always figured sabot or paper patch of some kind, but your guess is as good as mine
    maybe they are for fishing weights

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bearcove View Post
    I am just tired of people being critical of some thing they have not even held in their hands much less tried.

I know its not the ideal setup for casting boolits, BUT how many people do you employ in the US making casting equipment? If its ZERO then maybe you should engage your brain before your mouth!

End of rant until next time!
    Bearcove

You are correct that I have never held one of their bullet molds but I do own one of their fishing weight molds. The bullet mold uses the same alignment system as their bullet. It’s an OK fishing mold but it would be sadly lacking as a bullet mold.

Since your statement was of “you should engage your brain before your mouth!” was directed at me I have a deal for you.

Since I need a fifty mold I will purchase it and test it. If it’s good I will pay you the total purchase price BUT if it’s not good you will pay me the total purchase price.

For me to call it a good mold it will have hold .0005 roundness and .001 size. I have been to Tool and Die Maker since 1978 and I currently manage a medium size machine shop so inspection won’t be a problem.

Do we have a deal????????

Boolit Grand Master

Chill out there fellers, its a keyboard, not a baseball bat.
    There's no way in heck that mold will meet those criteria M-tecs. Still, some folks aren't that picky, especially new guys and those on a budget.
    It's no big deal, I couldn't produce a mold and sell it for that price, but if they can, more power to 'em. Yeah, its junky, but there was a time not too long ago when junky was all I could afford, and close enough was good enough.
    I am very curious just how close they can get with a mold like that. Just looking at it, I would expect to see misaligned halves and boolit sizes all over the place, but all that really matters to someone who would buy it is that the boolits land inside a paper plate at 20 yards, which I have no doubt they would if prepared properly.

Boolit Grand Master

No offence to anybody, but who has held this mold in their hand? Has anybody cast any boolits in one? So far all the negative stuff is from a couple poor photos. Understandably, the design doesn't appear to be a precision tool, but "condemnation prior to investigation" is childish...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast