Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: "Price for checkmaker locked" thread locked

Boolit Master

"Price for checkmaker locked" thread locked

First off, I have a .45 plain base check maker made by Pat that I purchased from another forum member. It appears well made and I plan to use it a lot as soon as my lee classic cast press arrives. I have found Pat's posts to be very helpful and he certainly seems like a nice guy.

I would be interested in ordering more plain base checkmaker dies, but I know there are delays in some calibers and a THOROUGH review of Pat's website doesn't give ANY information about which are available and which aren't. Like most of us, my shooting and casting money is limited and I don't want to wait around for an indefinite time waiting for something to be delivered. He is certainly hurting himself by over-promising and under-delivering.

Now I know that a bunch of folks reading this are bristling right now. This has NOTHING to do with the quality or design of Pat's checkmaker. It has everything to do with the delivery times being far in excess of what one would expect for a product, with no indication of those delays on his website. The moderators expectation that every prospective purchaser should search through all of the threads in the gas check section to find out delivery times for a particular caliber and style of checkmaker is just silly. I realize Pat is a Vendor Sponsor, and the moderators have a duty to keep discussions civil. However, in the referenced thread, there were no disparaging remarks toward Pat and the thread was locked with a directive to "see #4". Posts directly related to concern over delivery times are very common, and Pat has chosen to largely ignore those concerns when the appropriate thing would be to inform prospective buyers of those delays. Not in a thread on this site as a response to complaints, but on his website where ALL prospective customers can see it.

So I know this will likely get locked as well, and so be it. I really am impressed with the quality of the people on this site, and I would hate for the reputation of this board to take a hit for no good reason.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Moderator Emeritus

did you read this fairly recent thread...particularly post #2 ?
    Jon

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=150562
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 05-14-2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: opps forgot link
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    did you read this fairly recent thread...particularly post #2 ?
    Jon

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=150562

Yes I did. My point was that prospective customers don't all come from this relatively small group here. That information should be on his website. Also, it clearly states that he is shipping .45 plain based checkmakers, but I have also read contemporary posts by people still waiting for them after months or longer. So how long would someone placing a new order have to wait? That information is not available. Now with him moving to a new locale, some additional delay will occur, but that is also unknown. If the wait time for a new order was at least roughly estimated on his website and elsewhere, nobody would have room to complain and all of these discussions wouldn't exist. That is the purpose of my post.

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    The moderators expectation that every prospective purchaser should search through all of the threads in the gas check section to find out delivery times for a particular caliber and style of checkmaker is just silly.
    Ever hear of "due diligence"? If someone's time is too valuable for them to do their own research about a purchase, they should be looking elsewhere. The wait time has been discussed ad nauseaum.

Look at some of the early Lee mould group buys. Several members made and had babies before they got their mould/s.

If one has a problem with delivery times, that issue should be directed at the vendor in a PM, not on the open forum.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Boolit Master

"If one has a problem with delivery times, that issue should be directed at the vendor in a PM, not on the open forum."

That is a reactive approach, and by that time a purchaser is already concerned. What most of these threads have advocated is a proactive approach on Pat's part where he is transparent and realistic about delivery times. It is just in his best interest to do so and for the life of me I can't figure out why he hasn't done so.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    You were never in on a Lee group buy, were you?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    Yes I did. My point was that prospective customers don't all come from this relatively small group here. That information should be on his website. Also, it clearly states that he is shipping .45 plain based checkmakers, but I have also read contemporary posts by people still waiting for them after months or longer. So how long would someone placing a new order have to wait? That information is not available. Now with him moving to a new locale, some additional delay will occur, but that is also unknown. If the wait time for a new order was at least roughly estimated on his website and elsewhere, nobody would have room to complain and all of these discussions wouldn't exist. That is the purpose of my post.
    I can't answer these questions, I suspect no one can answer these questions.
    Sometimes custom work from a "one person" owner/operator type of business takes a while, sometimes it don't.

I've bought two of pat's checkmaker's about 2 years ago and got them fairly quick.
    I liked them alot, So I ordered two more about a year ago, both of which were future calibers and not available, So I sent my money to him, to get in line to be one of the first to receive them when they were available.

Of the two I ordered, I now see one caliber is on his list and the other isn't. So that means I will probably be getting one sooner than later. Pat has had more problems arise recently, than I would wish on my worst enemy. But he doesn't quit or give up. He is an honorable part of this castboolits family, and I will give him my business no matter how long it takes, I know he will deliver.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Or ordered a set of swaging dies or a trigger from Canjar.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Buddy
    But this is the PatMarlin website!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Nosir. But I see that most people involved in that didn't particularly like how it often worked out. As I said, Pat seems like a nice guy, and if he took some basic steps to inform people up front about the time lag between ordering and receiving, things would be easier on him. But I repeat myself.

I guess I'll stop beating this dead stinky horse as so many have done before me. I'm just baffled by the approach, that's all. Ditto for all of those saying they don't see any problem with it. One of the lynchpins of a successful business is communication.

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Enough! Let it rest.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud