RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: 25/20 & 32/20 Twist Rates

Moderator Emeritus

25/20 & 32/20 Twist Rates

Second question within two days. I have for sometime been thinking about a rifle based on a Martini Cadet .310" action.

My original plan was for the rifle to be in a popular calibre namely .38/.357. Well providence has smiled and that calibre is now taken care of with the purchase of a rifle already done up.

I had begun get the bits and pieces ready for the project such as the action (complete rifle) with rusted out barrel. Now this is no longer required for this project so I thought I might move on to project number two.

Namely a Rook style rifle in either .25/20 or .32/20. There are several barrel makers in Australia who can make the barrel but I have no idea of what twist rate would be suitable for either calibre.

The plan is that these will be cast boolit shooters only.

Any ideas what to ask for?

John.
    John, a.k.a. Tiny or Stretch
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master

25-20, 1 in 14". 32-20 1 in 16" . This is the twist rates that T.J.'s liners use and I have not had any complaints about using them.

Boolit Grand Master
    My Marlin 94 in 25-20 uses 1-14" twist, while the 32-20 uses 1-20" twist. The very similar 30 U.S. Carbine uses 1-16" pitch.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Moderator Emeritus
    Thank you, John T & Deputy Al,

I will start checking the local barrel makers for a suitable barrel for one or more of the cartridges.

John.
    John, a.k.a. Tiny or Stretch
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    A poster on the board who is a bit of a lurker, rebarrels the odd 310 cadet with used 30 cal target barrels. he has one I think is a 357 necked down to 30 cal, shoots 160Gn CBE cast boolits and is dynamite on the goats. The cartrdge really punches above its weight. Mick.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."