RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: reloading help for 303 british

The good news is No4's seem to have more consistent bores. Either way the swaging dies would likely be custom anyway. Our own BTSniper does boolit swaging dies. Check out his thread; BTSniper Custom Tools and Dies - it's a sticky.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    I would recommend getting some quality brass and dies. Forget the Lee junk; It is cheap but will afford you a world of headaches due to its miserable manufacturing quality.
    Is there any evidence for this statement?

Some items from Lee are problematic but to say that about the entire line is not supported by facts and evidence.

Lee dies are top-notch, work well and on par with RCBS, and other name brands.

The Classic series is also on par with the competition, and most of the equipment represents a great value for the item. Are some items not on par with the Classic Cast series - yes, I would put the Classic Cast single stage against any similar press on the market.
    Just fold copper on lead...

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    You could also look into paper patching if you're up to some challenges and frustration and have the patience.

What rifle do you have? How is the bore?

I get almost infinite life out of 303 Brit cases.
    The older bolt action military rifles all are very good candidates for paper patched bullets, it is a shame paper patching is not more known and popular it represents a 1/2 step from casting to swaging gaining a considerable ability to produce higher velocities.
    Just fold copper on lead...

Boolit Mold
    oddly i was debating between going for c&h since those would only take me a bit to set aside for or BT's due to them being better quality and well not taking an absurd amount of time if they're between productions and sold out. Only issue i have with getting BT's is price really as i said earlier i only work part time currently, but i can manage if thats the better route since to be honest Id rather get dies that work great and cost more then dies that only work ok but are cheap. Most likely though if i go with BT's ill end up having to get the custom complete set and a copper tubing set (correct me if I'm wrong) so that's around $785 + paypals fee since that's the only way i have of paying for stuff online currently, gives me till around December before i have enough set aside potentially unless i can pull enough from other sources on my off time between housework and tending to animals/garden and repeatedly removing viruses from my dad's pc. Hmm gives me enough time to do proper research at least i guess as well as try and build up a stockpile of 5.7 cases.

If any of that was wrong just list what i would need to order from BT and ill note it down on my shopping list that I'm building up. Just a bit of a shame to hold back on settin aside on something I'm trying to get for my dad then again said project is a bit outta part-time work's league in terms of cost eh heh...

In Remembrance
    The best advise I can give to you is to contact BT through PM. I have 2 of his die sets 1 for making 40cal and another for 45 cal, I couldn't be happier.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

duke yakutstk asked for any advice on loading the 303 brit so i gave it in the thread that they started problem with that? i thought not

Boolit Mold
    measured at .303 -.306 on the bore starting to think this was an unissued or replacement barrel because that's a bit too exact, either that or i measured wrong, after checking some things over ill pm BT about what all I'll have to order, just busy as of late due to mothers day.

In Remembrance
    I would say something is off with your measuring, the bore diameter should be around .313 and if you don't know how read up on slugging your barrel.

Give this a read: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...lugging+barrel
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

Boolit Mold
    thanks sorry was doing what dad said before, slugging it came out as .310-.312, bookmarked the link so i can read over the other info on it when i have more time to spare since currently I'm doing this stuff between tending to dinner.

Boolit Mold
    GRUMPA

you need to read up on slugging the barrel.

the BORE diameter will be about .303"

the rifling GROOVE diameter will be about .311" - .315"

Difficult to measure on a 5 groove barrel.

my #4mk1 slugged .312 manufacture date 1944 rebarrelled and trigger gard n mag release redone in 1952 and stored in a warehouse till i bought it in 1992

Banned

5 groove is simple enough.
    wrap something around the boolit/slug i use some thin copper strips i have, and remove the thickness added this will give you the number.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty66 View Post
    GRUMPA

you need to read up on slugging the barrel.

the BORE diameter will be about .303"

the rifling GROOVE diameter will be about .311" - .315"

Difficult to measure on a 5 groove barrel.

YEP!!! your right my bad....that's what I get when I'm in a hurry.

Annealing Services