MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Of note to dog owners

Moderator Emeritus

Of note to dog owners

If you are already aware of this, that's great. If not please do NOT feed your dog raisins or grapes. It causes acute renal failure in some cases. This is not a myth or urban legend, it is fact. It has been verified. I only heard of this today, but luckily I have never given my dog grapes or raisins.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/grapeandraisin.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grape_a...xicity_in_dogs
    ( I normally don't use wikipedia as reference, but this instance proves factual)

http://www.natural-dog-health-remedi...y-in-dogs.html

Please try to pass the word along to fellow dog owners, I don't see a reason why a couple grapes would be harmful and the articles seem to stand up to this as well, but why take a chance. There's other treats a dog can have that don't have the same adverse potential that grapes and raisins do.

Go pet your dog. You know you want to.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Wonder how that would work with the neighbors dog that he lets run all over the neighborhood, my property encluded. I see no reason for me to clean up his dogs poop.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Banned

so how bout chocolate covered raisins???

i remember when i was a kid some of the neighborhood strays started dying off.
    it seems someone was changing thier antifreeze and was called away suddenly, and didn't get the bucket put away for a few days.

Boolit Master

I didn't know this. I planted a grape vine in the back yard and this is the first year that it has grapes. Looks like I am going to have to remove the grape vine.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Buddy
    Forget chocolate, my 95 year old aunt had a Presa Canario, that she fed gum drops, chocolate and ice cream to for years. The dog was big enough to pull your car, and lived for 15 plus years. It finally died from being overweight. But apparently thee isn't enough real chocolate in the stuff we can buy to hurt a dog.. Well at least this dog !!!!
    Jack
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perro_de_Presa_Canario
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Thomas Jefferson was one Smart guy. Now we need to find another one!!!
    NRA Life member since 1971, SASS
    Ret. IAFF Local 2928

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    Wonder how that would work with the neighbors dog that he lets run all over the neighborhood, my property encluded. I see no reason for me to clean up his dogs poop.
    Kick the owner's ***, not the dog's. Infuriating, I know, but it ain't the dog's fault.

You can add onions to the toxicity list.

It takes significant amounts, at least in larger dogs, but safest bet is none at all.

Boolit Master

My two kids are raw fed only --they have never seen kibble.
    Deer, Moose, chicken backs and legs--all raw-- + 10 to 12 % bone (uncooked )
    also very , very little grain.

onions and chocolate = a no, no not sure about the raisins or grapes.
    same family, they don't get them anyway.
    IMHO the worst thing you can do for a Dog is have it Vaccinated and feed it bagged dog food.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master

I know someone who had a pug dog that got into a bag of M&M's. Came home from work and the dog had pooped & craped all over the room, and was laying there half dead. Took it to the vet, pumped it's stomach, it was weeks before it recouperated, and cost them a fortune in vet bills.

Banned

my chocolate lab has eaten about everything. He wont eat onion or anything with onion in it though. He must know something. As to grapes and chocolate hes eaten them many times and its never done a thing to me. I talked to the vet about this and he said that things like chocolate and grapes most effect smaller bread dogs. there digestive tracks are much smaller and its tougher for them to pass undigested food well. Heck my dog will eat grapes off the grape vines when there ripe. About the only things he doesnt like are onions and dog food

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Some chicken wire around the grapes should take care of that problem, Jim. Or keep the dog tied up.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I knew that. I had a bluetick, 20 some years ago, that really liked grapes. I let him eat a few once, I never saw him take any off the vine though.

About the chocolate- the landlord for this business property that I'm on has 2 bassets. One of them got a cannabinoid treated chocolate bar that this man's son brought from a CA grower where he works (supposedly). Anyway, the dog ate the whole thing while they were out to dinner. They thought the dog was dead, he just laid there for about 3 days before he finally came around. I guess the chocolate might be bad for them

Boolit Master

I think this is more of an individual dog thing my, fathers dogs have all eaten chocolate his Dalmatian stole and ate a Easter bunny of over a pound no ill effects. My Corgi ate raisins, grapes, onions (cooked), and chocolate with no side effects from them.

With that said I would not tempt fate with a different dog today. Oh by the way what did make the dog really sick was some chicken dog treats from China! and now there is a bunch more bad dog food out there again.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 375RUGER View Post
    IOne of them got a cannabinoid treated chocolate bar that this man's son brought from a CA grower where he works (supposedly). Anyway, the dog ate the whole thing while they were out to dinner. They thought the dog was dead, he just laid there for about 3 days before he finally came around. I guess the chocolate might be bad for them
    The dog was probably dreaming of chasing rainbow colored bunnies.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SciFiJim View Post
    I didn't know this. I planted a grape vine in the back yard and this is the first year that it has grapes. Looks like I am going to have to remove the grape vine.
    i have concord grapes in the back yard and a dog who spends days out there , never seen him eat them, i wouldn't bother moving the vines.

even at that it is only a week or two a year when they are ripe

That's good to know about the grapes and raisins. Thanks for the info.

Don't feed them macadamia nuts either. My lab grabbed a can of macadamia nuts off of the counter while we were out of the house and both of our dogs ate them. The wife woke me about three o'clock the next morning, and neither of the dogs could move their hind legs. By nine o'clock when the vet opened, the lab was able to walk out to the car and I had to carry the other one. The vet gave them charcoal and the toxins wore off by the end of the day. Pretty scary.

As for chocolate, our lab has eaten whole bags of hershey kisses and you would never know it except for the tinsel I shoveled out of the back yard the next day. It doesn't seem to affect him, but he is a big dog. I believe I heard that dark chocolate is worse for dogs that milk chocolate.

I have a black lab jake he has eaten pans of brownines off the table pork loins off the table green peppers Brussels sprots carrots anything from the garden raw fish heads raw ducks, shoes swallowed a cast Boolit once he loves Oreos he eats all table scrapes and is 10 years old still hunts and weights 125

Banned

When i was young we allways had rabbit dogs (beagles) It was a common practice of about every rabbit hunter i knew to about half way through the day give there dog a half of a hershey bar to get his energy back up. Ive seen it done to probably well over a 100 dogs and never hurt a thing. Im sure thought that if a dog ate a couple lbs of chocolate hed be in trouble and the way my lab inhales food he wouldnt stop till the last bite was gone. By the way another thing that can be trouble for all animals is peach pits, there supposidly very poisonous to animals. I have a peace tree and ended up having to trim it up to where the dog couldnt reach the peaches. Seems he like them alot two and when they were ripe hed go and get himself one occasionaly. the vet said its ok as long as he doesnt break open the pit and it passes through him before he digests it. But im sure a smaller dog whos digestive track is to small to pass would be more of a problem with this too.

Grapes and raisins I just found out about being for real.

I knew about chocolate and onions for many years.

Garlic is supposed to be just as bad as onions, but before I learned about garlic being bad I used to feed a small piece of raw garlic to my dog for tapeworms until I could get to the vet to get some Droncit and kill off the tapeworm for good.

I used to feed one of my dogs a little raw onion when I shared my lunch with her, she ate what I ate.

I didn't have a dog until I was 25 years old and when I got a dog it was a black lab. When she was about a year old she got one of my T-shirts off the clothesline and ate it whole. I was plain mystified when I couldn't find my T-shirt, but a few days later when I was doing poop patrol on the lawn I found it. I don't HOW how it went through, but it did. No harm done. After that I was careful about letting her run around by herself until she got older and quit eating whatever got in her mouth. Kind of a bitter-sweet reminder about my big black lab, I still have some screw drivers and hammers she chewed the handles on 37 years ago.

rl 1120
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

Over the years we have had several dogs that love all kinds of fruit. We have a fence where we grow grapes and there were "never" any grapes below a certain point. That point was just as high as the basset hound could reach. We later had a mini-weiner dog that did the same thing. We would catch her in the grapes all the time. They didn't even have to be ripe. She loved them.

When I was a kid, we bought a mini-collie that used to get into the raspberries and grapes all the time. She lived to be nearly 15 yrs old. She was finally done in by a rattlesnake.
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both
    Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
    but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Master

My Shiz Tzu dogs have been a blessing to me and my wife. Only one left now and like the others we would spend all we have to make sure that she is healthy and lives a long and well cared for life. I sincerely enjoy waking up to dog kisses in the morning.....
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."