Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: keeping your alloy consistant

Boolit Master

keeping your alloy consistant

OK, I am casting from my own ingots of WWs and 60/40 tin ingots. My question is; if i can cast 171 gr bullets from a 175 mold all the time, that should tell me my hardness-tin/lead is consistant also right? One reason i ask is, i'm not 100% certain my 60/40 tin ingots are consistant. For example; I melt some of my ingots of lead and tin and my bullets are comming out a little heavy, i need to add a little more tin right? Hope i'm on the right track here, because i don't have a hardness tester. BTW i'm casting for an XD40 cal auto. 44 mag revolver is on my wish list this year.

Banned

should be close enough if the weight matches

WW's vary in the amount of antimony, but like Lloyd says it should be close enough
    I only hope that someday I can be half the Man that my Dogs already think I am!

Boolit Master
    Close enough is close enough, especially if you make a large run of all the same stuff. I have won or placed in so many mil bolt matches using different combinations of stuff, that I now think that the alloy is the least of your worries, as long as you have enough of the same stuff for consistency.

If you have a little of this and a little of that and little of sonething else, put it all in a big pot, render it down, and you got a whole lot of 'I don't know'. But that lot of I don't know is all the same.

Boolit Master
    "if you make a large run of all the same stuff"

Thats the trick!
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Banned
    I have a cast iron tub available....using it wood fired you could make an absolutely huge batch of "I don't know alloy".

Alloy is only important if you have a specific use for it...IE making live critters into meat, or matching the thrust forces of your iron for accuracy other than that it is basically a non issue I find the longer and skinnier the boolit the harder it needs to be to match it up for accuracy potential, but as my bore sizes get smaller I tend to push them harder, so coincidnces aside I personally think to a point it does matter. Finding the points is a trial and error off a hunch type deal though, if you ever intend to maximize everything ...alloy will make a difference...it has for me anyway.

You can do it without a BHN tester, but the tester sure makes consistancy easier..

Banned
    I don't think that variation in BHN of ~+/- 2 makes much or any difference in shooting accuracy or leading, have a test under way.
    I do know how to make a big batch of alloy the same, using a small pot.
    My 20# Lee pot holds one full muffin pan of 12 ingots.
    Melt stuff, flux, pour ~3/4 of the pot into the muffin pan. Make a set of 12 3/4 full muffins.
    Melt more stuff, pour ~3/4 of the pot into the muffin pan. Make a set of 12 muffins.
    Keep it up until all the stuff has peen melted, fluxed,poured, keep the sets of muffins separate. Then count the sets of muffins. Say you have 9 sets. Take one muffin from each set, melt and flux, pour into the muffin pan, make a set of 9 muffins. Keep the set of 9 separate from the others. Keep doing it until you have sets of 9. When I stop here, the alloy is almost the same for all sets, but I do it again. Say you have 12 sets of 9 muffins. Take one from each of the 12 sets, melt and flux and pour. Keep it up until done. This works with ~240 # of alloy = 12 sets of 12, and can be made to work with more. My experience is that 3 melt and pours gives me an alloy that casts bullets weighing the same to the end.
    joe brennan