Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Cimmarron/Pedersoli-Uberti for a hunting rifle.

Boolit Buddy

Cimmarron/Pedersoli-Uberti for a hunting rifle.

So after starting a couple of threads over on ASSRA about actions calibers and such I think at this point I've made up my mind to go with a Pedersoli 1885 with double set triggers in 30-40* for the time being. My only problem with it is that they only come with a 30" barrel and I'm looking for something shorter by about 4" for a hunting rifle. That means a trip to my smith to get it lopped off and recrowned, and that leads me to thoughts of a better barrel.

In searching about I've read some old threads on the interwebs that said that the Uberti barrels were pretty bad but that the Pedersoli stuff was better.

Is this still true?
    Who actually makes the ones that Cimmarron / Texas Jack sells?

In the long run I want to get something made by CPA, I think they look like a good value for the $$ and I can get a rifle that I'll pass on to my sons.

*I'm set on a 30-40 Krag, seems to be a perfect rimmed cambering for a deer hunting rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    If your gun smith thats going to cut off 4 inches of that pedersoli barrel has Pin Guages ,have him check the barrel at the muzzle and at the spot you are going to cut it off at .Pedersoli barrels are known to have a choke in the muzzle for better accuracy. Arnie

Have you looked at the 1885 rifles from C.Sharps Arms? With the current exchange rate, the American made rifles are very close in price to the Italian ones. And they have real people you can talk with on the phone if you have a problem, as well as the ability to make you just what you want without needing modification.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Have you looked at the 1885 rifles from C.Sharps Arms? With the current exchange rate, the American made rifles are very close in price to the Italian ones. And they have real people you can talk with on the phone if you have a problem, as well as the ability to make you just what you want without needing modification.
    Nobade, I've looked at the C Sharps, CPA. Shiloh, Falling Block Works and a few others. At some point in the not too distant future I will end up spending a fair chunk of change with CPA and possibly with one of the others. Part of the reason for my question is the prospect of the barrel and smith work. If I have to buy a barrel and have it reamed, blued and mounted then that is adding a chunk that may make it worthwhile to go with a different alternative. (I'm familiar with barrel costs, I've bought 2 Kriegers and a Rock Creek in the last 4 months for bolt action builds)

As it stands today an import with the set triggers will run about $1300 before any work. The C.Sharps with no sights and a set trigger is $1975 + 8.25% Federal Excise Tax for a total of $2138 give or take. That's a a 64% higher price.

The Shiloh in an 1874 action starts at $1902+++ but at least that does come with sights.

Before I go to C Sharps I'll have a custom build done by CPA, lots more gun for the money built on a Stevens 44 1/2 action.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    If you are getting it for hunting, I would forget the set triggers. Look for a rifle of under 9#. Even that will get real heavy.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I'd hold out, save my cash and get one made to order from CPA, save some dough by getting it and finishing the wood yourself, CPA are great to deal with as are the 2 Sharps outfits in Montana. You seem to know the better quality issues with the US made single shots and prolly wouldn't be happy with the Italian Ubertisolies.

Quote Originally Posted by XTR View Post

As it stands today an import with the set triggers will run about $1300 before any work. The C.Sharps with no sights and a set trigger is $1975 + 8.25% Federal Excise Tax for a total of $2138 give or take. That's a a 64% higher price.

Before I go to C Sharps I'll have a custom build done by CPA, lots more gun for the money built on a Stevens 44 1/2 action.
    Ah - I didn't realize the Pedersolis were available for $1300 - it is quite a difference. But as you know, the CPA rifles are quite nice so it's something to think about. Funny, I am in pretty much the same boat as you. I really want a new single shot rifle and wrestled with what to get. Finally decided to just keep saving up and get a American made one. I can't have it as soon but it will give much longer service and greater enjoyment in the long run. Since you mentioned 1885 I didn't think about the CPA but if that's an option it ought to be a good way to go. Especially if you are good at wood work, they're a lot cheaper if you finish the wood yourself. So many decisions out there.....
    Enjoy!

Boolit Buddy
    The problem I have with the customs is that as soon as I start looking at ordering one I add a whole bunch of $$ in addons.

I'm a freak about making my guns shoot. This is a gun to shoot high velocity pointed bullets, the barrel is important. Maybe the right idea is to go with a "basic" CPA. If I order a Varmint with an unfinished stock they are under $2000 out the door. I'd have what I want for a hunting rifle in a better rifle for about the same money as I'd spend getting a barrel and having it mounted on a Cimmarron - Italian.

Hmm... I need to call them, wonder if they can get me one that I can finish in time to field by the end of the deer season this year?

Boolit Master
    Get the CPA....you can't go wrong.

I bought mine in the unfinished also...then bought another barrel later. Change from centerfire to rimfire in 5 minutes or less.

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

Boolit Master

Wink

Look at the C Sharps 1875 if you want a hunting rifle. It's much slimmer then the 1874s. Mine is a 28" 38-55, set triggers & pistol grip butt. Was $1570, out the door in sept last year. The 1885, set up as I wanted, came out to $2400, shipped. But only a 4 week turn around for it from the day I filled out the paperwork till at my ffl. And yes, they are worth ever penny.

Might look at Boz330's posts, he also shoots a 1875.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

Boolit Buddy
    I looked at the 1875 but C Sharps doesn't offer it in a 30-40K, or at least on the website it's not an option.

Oops, I guess I only looked under the sporting rifle with the pistol grip, looks like the do under the other rifles.

Actually I looked at two things with the C Sharps other than thinking that it didn't come in the caliber I'm planning to scope this for hunting, the drop at the comb on the 1875 looks a bit much for a scoped rifle. All in all I looked pretty hard and before I saw the Cimmarron 1885 I had decided that the CPA was the most bang for the buck (pun intended) of any of the offerings out there. I'm thinking it still is.
    Last edited by XTR; 04-30-2012 at 12:05 PM.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by XTR View Post
    My only problem with it is that they only come with a 30" barrel and I'm looking for something shorter by about 4" for a hunting rifle. That means a trip to my smith to get it lopped off and recrowned, and that leads me to thoughts of a better barrel.

In searching about I've read some old threads on the interwebs that said that the Uberti barrels were pretty bad but that the Pedersoli stuff was better.

Is this still true?
    Who actually makes the ones that Cimmarron / Texas Jack sells?
    The barrels made by Pedersoli are match-quality pieces.
    The Sharps rifles marketed under the Uberti name are made entirely by Pedersoli.
    The highwall reproduction made by Pedersoli uses a receiver obtained from Uberti which is then heat treated to Pedersoli specs, and filled with parts of Pedersoli design. They are barreled with match quality barrels made by Pedersoli.
    Pedersoli calls it the Highwall ... not the 1885 ... and it only comes in 45/70 and 38-55, which has killed a few deer.

The rifle you are looking at on the Cimmarron site is made by Uberti.

To see the Pedersoli highwall, look here ...
    http://www.cherrys.com/ped_cart.htm

CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 04-30-2012 at 03:15 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    The barrels made by Pedersoli are match-quality pieces.
    The Sharps rifles marketed under the Uberti name are made entirely by Pedersoli.
    The highwall reproduction made by Pedersoli uses a receiver obtained from Uberti which is then heat treated to Pedersoli specs, and filled with parts of Pedersoli design. They are barreled with match quality barrels made by Pedersoli.
    Pedersoli calls it the Highwall ... not the 1885 ... and it only comes in 45/70 and 38-55, which has killed a few deer.

The rifle you are looking at on the Cimmarron site is made by Uberti.

To see the Pedersoli highwall, look here ...
    http://www.cherrys.com/ped_cart.htm

CM
    That pretty much erases any doubt I might have had. I sent CPA an email today to start spec'ing out my new rifle.

Boolit Master
    I liked the Pedersolis Rolling Blocks I had in the past. Still have two of them. These were early ones, made in the 70s and were used as my hunting rifles for several seasons. Heavy, but in my youth I did not mind. Now, I find a lighter rifle is what I desire.

As for special barrels and such, realistically, any rifle that holds 3 MOA or better has always allowed me to succeed at a hunt. What kind of accuracy do you require?
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    As for special barrels and such, realistically, any rifle that holds 3 MOA or better has always allowed me to succeed at a hunt. What kind of accuracy do you require?
    All of my center fire rifles will hold sub MOA with pointy bullets. It did take several hundred rounds working up a load for my factory barreled Remington 308. It just didn't like 150 grain bullets, but once I switched it to 165s it got happy. I found a combination that will hold inside of .75 at 200 yards.

My Krieger and Rock Creek barrels will shoot inside of half MOA at 200, I can shoot inside of 2 MOA shooting sabots with my muzzle loader (Green Mtn Barrel) and my CZ453 will hold 1MOA at 50 yards with SK Jagd Rifle Plus.

My 45-70 is currently the exception. I'm learning what it likes and doesn't like and I'm learning to manage the recoil better and things are improving, though if the season started today I wouldn't take it in the woods.

My Service rifle AR with a White Oak upper and a stainless match barrel will shoot MOA if I'm doing my part.

I regularly shoot F-TR competition at 1000 yards. and occasionally at 600/800/900. I have one 308 that will hold vertical inside of the 10 ring at 1000, I think realistically at 1000 it's a 3/4 min gun.

So to answer your question, I'll be satisfied with 2 MOA from my 45-70 or my muzzle loader, but anything I plan to shoot past 200 yards I want MOA or better.