Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2PBcastcoRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Recipes for "Mouse Fart" Loads in 30-06

Years ago I found lots of articles (original) of the Dane and Fin 'irregulars' and their training, loading. Used lots of light load wood projectiles for 'quiet' loads in the woods so no-one would hear them shooting. Powder and primers were scarce as was brass. Never sized, just punch primer and reload. Hid the rifles in the woods. Better training than just pointing a stick of wood. Became good at pilfering ammo from the enemy.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by Alferd Packer View Post
    You can paper patch any of the 30 caliber and get them to fit the 8mm bore for shooting.
    I have a recovered paper patched boolit that still wears its paper jacket. The trick is to patch up to seat in an unsized neck. This should align the boolit with the throat and bore. Using the same load and patched boolits in another rifle, I got center of beer can accuracy at 50 yds. From my testing I would think that patching a 30 cal bullet or boolit up to fit the 8mm neck might well keep the patch on with cat sneeze loads. Maybe specifically 'design' the patch to stay on. Like glue between the laps or use a tougher paper. I used good old cheapo printer paper and that stayed on, even through the catch medium.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 09-18-2020 at 04:29 PM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Man
    I don't think I'm hijacking here, I'm not up on forum etiquette. If I am, scold me and school me.
    I just bought a Handi-rifle in .30-06 and I was scouring my reload data for reduced loads.

I shoot a lot at the local indoor range and was checking out the 125 gr. bullets for slow stuff.
    My question is, I don't have a lot of cast bullets left and they are all 170 gr. How slow can I go with the easy to get 125 gr. jacketed bullets? Is there any danger in pushing the jacketed bullets out the tube with light loads?
    It is fun to take my big bores (.30 and bigger) to the indoor range and just bang away. Most of it offhand standing just for the fun of it. I get to feel recoil and get a rifle dirty. My late wife always said the only reason I go to the range is so I can clean a rifle afterwards!
    I see almost every bullet maker has a 3031 load for their 125 gr. bullets. 3031 is one of my favorite powders.
    Have any of you tried going slow with jacketed bullets? Thanks, Mike
    Pay no attention to the mess in my shop. My best work comes from chaos!

Boolit Buddy
    Check out this article about "The Load."

https://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharri...20per%20second.

Boolit Man
    Thanks for that! I think I have some red dot!

Boolit Man
    Hey guys! I'm back!
    If I wanted to buy ready made cast boolits from the big stores, any suggestions on what brand and gr. weight for .30-06 you all like?
    I used to cast my own BP stuff, but I'm not sure I can even find my casting equipment any more so I was thinking of buying ready made cast.
    I have a handful of 170 gr. .30-30 flat nose I could use, they would be great for short range paper punching. But they were given to me and I have no idea whose they are.
    I intend to load .30-30 loads in my 06, so....what is out there I can pick up from say, Cabela's?
    Also, do I need to pack some sort of wad over that load in the big 06 case?
    Thanks in advance, Mike

Boolit Grand Master

mike

Since this thread is about "mouse fart" loads I suggest any cast 32 caliber [.311 - .314] pistol bullet of 77 - 115 gr weight. If larger than .312 simply size in a .311 or .312 push through sizer. If unlubed lube them first. Then load over 3.2 gr of Bullseye.

For 30-30 level loads in your '06 any 150 - 180 gr .30 caliber [.309 - .311] cast bullet will do (when buying commercial). There is a plethora of data available already for such cast bullet loads in the 30-06 (Lyman #3 and #4 CBH). For jacketed loads just use max 30-30 loads of powders such as 3031 and 4895 in your '06 as start loads and work up to what you want. In the '06 case the max 30-30 loads will give much less velocity and pressure than in the 30-30.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I have read this thread about one a year (winter reading) for the last several years

I now have 2 new rifles and thinking about making my powder last and I do not need full powder loads to put holes in paper

1st new rifle 444 marlin / 20 twist I have the lyman 429667 mold..... only 44 cal mold i have have some plated 240g i bought $90/500

2nd new rifle 35 whelen have a bunch of 38 cal Pistol moulds and the 35xcb mould (360-230-fn-Au1)

Thes rifles are so new I have not fired them... because of, Covid, work, doing house repairs, Snow drifts and not being able to buy ammo for them

any Ideas for cat sneeze loads for these 2

also a range day might be 100 plus rounds through 1 rifle .... can you imagine 100 full house 444 loads .... my shoulder

one day 1 did 200 full cast 308 which was too much off a sand bag for my arthritic body

Thanks

Boolit Master
    Hi Ford
    You can download Lyman's Cast Bullet Manual No. 3 for free. Just Google it.
    The manual is a must to help you get a handle on how cast bullets and the powders relate.
    The loads in the cast bullet manual for starting and maximum loads are a good guide for starting to shoot cast bullets.

Boolit Master
    ford sd you might try 30 grains of 4198 under a 200 grain cast bullet in the 35 whelen, ive been shooting 444 with a deep seated 432640 with 33-35 grains of 8208
    Last edited by farmbif; 06-10-2021 at 07:36 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ford SD View Post
    I have read this thread about one a year (winter reading) for the last several years

I now have 2 new rifles and thinking about making my powder last and I do not need full powder loads to put holes in paper

1st new rifle 444 marlin / 20 twist I have the lyman 429667 mold..... only 44 cal mold i have have some plated 240g i bought $90/500

2nd new rifle 35 whelen have a bunch of 38 cal Pistol moulds and the 35xcb mould (360-230-fn-Au1)

Thes rifles are so new I have not fired them... because of, Covid, work, doing house repairs, Snow drifts and not being able to buy ammo for them

any Ideas for cat sneeze loads for these 2

also a range day might be 100 plus rounds through 1 rifle .... can you imagine 100 full house 444 loads .... my shoulder

one day 1 did 200 full cast 308 which was too much off a sand bag for my arthritic body

Thanks
    <<<<<&&&<<<&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&<<<<&

The answer is for you to download the cast bullet manual no3 Lyman.
    FREE just google it.
    loads for both your new rifles and the starting loads aren't catsneeze but they are very lite all using cast bullets.

Boolit Master
    I like printer paper.
    It resists tearing apart when wet and is tuff when dried out.
    Good for paper patch bullets.Imho.

Boolit Mold

Thumbs up More info please!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Since this thread is about "mouse fart" loads I suggest any cast 32 caliber [.311 - .314] pistol bullet of 77 - 115 gr weight. If larger than .312 simply size in a .311 or .312 push through sizer. If unlubed lube them first. Then load over 3.2 gr of Bullseye.
    I am pretty inexperienced at reloading, even though I’m an old fart. I bought the equipment and supplies to load 38 special because I’ve had such a hard time finding ammo. Anyway, I don’t deer hunt anymore, but I won’t get rid of my Colt bolt action 30.06 because my dad gave it to me 56 years ago. He was heavily into reloading, but passed a couple of years ago at 94 yrs old. These loads sound perfect for plinking with that rifle! I’ve got Bullseye for the 38sp loads. Do I use large rifle primers? Also, you previously mentioned drilling out primer holes with I believe a #29 drill. Is this recommended for this load? I’m not interested in casting, but I ordered .357 LSW bullets from Rimrock in Montana, and I see they have .313 cast bullets And I could buy a resizing die. I use a Lee hand press. Would resizing with this from .313 down to .311 be doable? Thanks for the information!

Boolit Bub
    Betwixt the Altamont and Las Trampas in Northern CA
    Hi Team!
    Have any of you tried these loads with the Swiss K31? I was reading this thread and the thought of using them in one of the -‘06 or 30-30s.Case volume not to much off of 308. But just now I thought why not my K31? Beautiful gun that just sits in my safe since I don’t have a ton of ammo for it. And if you all know of a PB mold for a light tumble lube bullet (Lee, Arsenal, Accurate, etc) that might work for all three (fit leade etc, I know accuracy is whatever it will be). If it could cheaply pokes holes in paper or hunt rabbits and tree squirrels? What’s not to like. Have lots off WW, and over 20lbs of 700x. I do have a pound of Bullseye, but if the 700 can work WELL (I don’t like shooting just to pull the trigger) all the better.
    Thx!
    Steve

Boolit Master
    Drilling out the primer hole only refers to enlarging the flash hole in the bottom of the primer hole.
    This is done only for the cat's sneeze loads.
    The actual hole the primer is seated in remains the same.
    Thus if the case used large primers, it still uses them and in the small .223 cases, it still uses the small rifle primer.
    Last edited by Alferd Packer; 04-21-2022 at 05:34 AM.

Boolit Master
    Another thing I would like to expand on is paper patching small diameter bullets to shoot in a larger diameter barrel.
    You should try to stay as close to the caliber the barrel is cut rifling for.
    The paper patch starts off as a tight fitting minimal two wraps and can be shot at hi- velocity compared to the mouse fart low noise,low velocity ammo.
    When I spoke of patching a 30 caliber round, meaning the 308 series being patched to shoot in a .323 bore for example.
    Well, that is more of a saboted round to be fired at low noise, and low velocity.
    You could for example, fill a
    323 Bullet mold with hot plastic glue and quickly press a .308 bullet into the hot glue and have a glue saboted .308 Bullet in a .323 plastic sabot , once the glue set up.
    The above mentioned Bullet would displace the hot glue out of the mold and leave the Bullet encased in the plastic .323 sabot.
    Getting the .308 bullet centered perfectly in the .323 sabot doesn't hurt when used in a low velocity,low noise ammo load.
    The same goes for a paper patched bullet over two wraps. Almost a paper mache sabot to fit the bore, but will work in a mousefart load.
    Thus the idea was born to try paper mache checks put on as wet plaster-like consistency and allowed to shrink- dry and then lubed and sized.
    Maybe lightly sized when still wet, or just pressed on the base and shrink dried.
    This has been cussed and discussed by my friends. I have to remind them .We are talking mousefart loads in this string. Almost anything can be used as a projectile in a mousefart load.

Boolit Buddy
    I recently bought some 120 gr .32-20 boolets from Brazos and resized them in my .311 die for my .30-40 and loaded them with ~7.6 gr 700X. Which is what my #16 rotor drops with my Lil' Dandy measure. At 50 yds they shot well (X ring'd) and for 850 boolets PC'd with Hy-teck they were CHEAP. They sell them by the pound not the count.
    The velocity was about 1,400 fps and seemed to me to be a great "possum load". I reloaded 50 to try at 100 yds next time I go out. No leading and good accuracy and if yu can find primers, no recoil.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678