Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $3.75 Roller Handle press update!

Boolit Master

$3.75 Roller Handle press update!

I decided to add a "Roller Handle" to my Loadmaster.

Parts list:

1. 1/2 Split ring (Plumbing aisle @HD)

1. 5/16 x 4.5 Bolt

2. 5/16 Washers

Total cost $3.75

I have not decided what type of handle to put on it. I will may turn one on the wood lathe or cut up a bike handle bar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails roller handle.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Hi 44,
    This company probably has more handles and knobs than anyone in the USA!

http://www.reidsupply.com/products/k...handles/grips/
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Seagiant, I will be checking them out. Always good to have another supplier in the book.

Boolit Master
    could you please show a close up of the connector used to attach the bolt to the press handle.

Boolit Master
    Kbstenberg, It's a type of pipe connector that has a threaded opening on one half of the clam shell. This one happens to be 5/16, perfect for a roller handle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails copper con.jpg  

In Remembrance

To some of us old plumbers it might be called a threaded pipe hanger clamp, it also comes in standard black color.Robert

Boolit Master
    Hardcast, Having a natural aversion to plumbing related projects, I usually only grace the plumbing isle @ HD/Lowes when I am in search parts for various pet projects air cannons, nerf guns, full auto air soft guns etc.
    It's good to know what it's really called and that it may be had in basic black, I have used them on several projects over the years and find them very useful.

Boolit Master
    Complete Roller Handle: PVC, Foam and Brass tubing scrounged up from past projects. I love it when a plan comes together!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails complete roller handle.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Good show! What I like about your design is that you can try different materials till you find the one that you like. I would probably turn one out of wood as I have a small wood lathe! Wood to me has a "warm" feel.

Oh yea,I'd like to see you run that Loadmaster!!!
    Last edited by seagiant; 04-30-2012 at 05:18 PM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master
    Hey that turned out quite well Vaquero!

It does look like a pipe hanger, but pipe hangers are usually cast iron or steel. Seeing as how this piece appears to be made of solid copper, it's more than likely some sort of earth grounding rod connector typically found on the electrical aisle.

I too was hoping for a turned wood handle to top off the design, Vaquero. I'm sort of partial to Mesquite, which is plentiful in these parts, and which turns very nicely. Once you get past the worms.

Boolit Master
    I can see what my Lee Classic cast Turit will be getting. Thanks Vaquero!
    Kevin

Boolit Master
    Fear not lovers of wood and other natural products, there is a nice piece of laminated maple waiting to be turned. I wanted to get the press back in service and cobbled together what you see.
    As Seagiant noted the design allows for change. I was also thinking about using leather coins like a Marine K-Bar Knife.
    @ dpauitx, it's actually a copper washed piece, they are available in several sizes. I know they have several uses and ground straps may bee one of them. I just know they are very handy.

Boolit Grand Master
    Is there an advantage to a roller handle??

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Shiloh, it may a matter of preference for some and a ergonomics for others. In my case the ball bothers my hand during a prolonged loading session. So I thought it was worth a try.

Boolit Grand Master
    Good enough for me.
    A wood handle would be a nice touch.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

I am a regular Michael Jackson when loading.

I use a cut down Green Lee electricians glove on my right hand as this prevents blisters when using any of my presses or lube sizers.

I like the solution the OP came up with. This is why this site is so useful as minds figure out solutions and then share with all of us.

Bliksem

I guess you know what I am going to be doing this weekend.

Boolit Buddy
    The plumbers hanger is called a "split ring" it will come in standard pipe sizes to fit "black iron/galvanized pipe" and standard copper tube sizes. Most of the CTS split rings sold today are iron that has been copper washed not solid copper.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you." Joe Heller

Boolit Master
    Update: You may need to file a flat spot on the press handle where the 5/16 bolt screws into the split ring. This will stablize the handle assembly, keeping it from twisting.

It does work like a very well and is much more comfortable to use! Turned maple handle to follow this weekend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast