WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loading 9mm: Die selection?

Boolit Master

Loading 9mm: Die selection?

Hi All.

After holding off of getting a 9mm pistol, I finally got one with the help of a couple of forum members. So now my question is this: I currently have a set of 38/357 Mag dies, can I use the 38 sizing die to size 9mm? I'm planning on using my Lyman Multi expand powder thru die to expand the cases, and so I'm wondering if I can get by with just buying a 9mm taper crimp die? I'm planning on starting out using Lee's 105gr SWC boolit as I need to get that mould anyway, so figured I could use it also sized to .358 for 9mm. I already have a shell holder, so really the only thing I'm missing is the taper crimp die, UNLESS I can't resize the cases with a 38 die, in which case I guess I'd need to get a whole die set.
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

I just tried what you're asking about and it failed. The neck went in fine but the base was rather severely reduced in size leaving what now looks somewhat like a belted case. Some brass was actually sheared away in the process. Apparently the 9x19 case is more tapered than you might suspect just by looking at it.

The sizing die used was a Lee 38 Special/357 Magnum carbide that's several years old.

No longer living in the High Country, Australia, a lowlander now.
    You're 38 sizing die definitely won't work with your 9mm cases,they're a tapered case.

Boolit Bub
    Believe it or not used to use a .38 S&W die set back in the day (before 9mm became main stream) to load 9mm P....

Quote Originally Posted by jimwill48 View Post
    Believe it or not used to use a .38 S&W die set back in the day (before 9mm became main stream) to load 9mm P....

????? .38 case base [not rim] roughly measures .375 inch & 9mm case measures .387, both Win Cases
    Last edited by Wal'; 04-29-2012 at 09:24 AM. Reason: correction

Boolit Master

I own a set of RCBS and a set of Lyman.....both carbide. The Lyman set has a better expander than the RCBS, IMO. Whatever you get, get a taper crimp die with the set. The 9mm is hard enough to load without getting a set of dies that won't do the job./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

No, will not work. Since you are going to have to get a TC die and FL sizer, I would just buy a complete 4 die set for the 9mm. I've been using RCBS carbide for many years.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Mold
    I use the Hornady 9mm taper dies. Yeah you need the correct dies and 9mm is easy to screw up. Watch OAL and work load up.

Boolit Buddy
    You can use 38 molds for casting tips but you need to buy a set of proper 9mm reloading dies for making ammo. 9mm is so cheap to buy factory ammo that it will take you about 10-20 boxes to recoup the cost of the dies. That is pretty quick even if it is the smallest savings per box in the reloading industry.
    Remember, that is an explosion happening inside your fist inside a couple hundred dollar device. Buy the right reloading dies.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pergoman View Post
    You can use 38 molds for casting tips but you need to buy a set of proper 9mm reloading dies for making ammo. 9mm is so cheap to buy factory ammo that it will take you about 10-20 boxes to recoup the cost of the dies. That is pretty quick even if it is the smallest savings per box in the reloading industry.
    Remember, that is an explosion happening inside your fist inside a couple hundred dollar device. Buy the right reloading dies.

+1.

Using inappropriate or unmatched dies is the cause of many of the problems I see reported here. Don't do it.

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Buddy
    The tapered case is a pain sometimes with different brass manufacturers. I've got Hornady and LEE dies for 9mm. The LEE die seems to do a better job of sizing the case and does not leave marks on the case like the Hornady does - thought I had a issue with brass for a while there. The Hornady taper crimp is ok but to get consistent results the brass needs to be trimmed unlike the LEE TCD but that can swage down the cast bullet with the carbide ring - might knock that out soon. I use a Hornady seating die with micro adjust that nails the OAL every time. The LEE seating tends to leave a small ring on the top of my RN bullets that I did not like.

I probably fuss more on the details than most but I like the results I've gotten. Just my experience.

Boolit Buddy
    Well......I use a 38 super carbide sizer die.I size bout 1/2 way down and yes it looks kind of funny.They chamber and feed fine in my High Power.YMMV.

Boolit Master

Thanks for all the answers! Now I know what I need to get. 9-toes, I just wanted to correct something you said, the Lee taper crimp die is NOT the same thing as their Carbide Factory Crimp Die. Their taper crimp die is made like any other taper crimp die, and they even say it's unneeded if using modern Lee dies, as the seating die has exactly the same crimping shape machined into them as their taper crimp dies. It's their CFCD that causes all the problems with cast boolits.
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Banned

freekshow from on here just turned me on to evolution gun works undersized lee dies for the 9 and 40. There suppose to take care of brass that is on the large side from being shot in sloppy chambers and glocks. I just got mine and they definately do take the brass down to a smaller dimention.

Boolit Master

Regular ole Lee 9mm carbide dies work great. I have loaded thousands with them, zero issues. But, you DO need the right dies for the brass in question. If you were some expert reloader with a jillion years experience then you can try a mixture of dies but the question alone implies that you are not. Be safe and get you a set of Lee carbides.
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Pic

This is what I got:
    Last edited by ku4hx; 07-20-2012 at 11:59 AM.

Boolit Master at heavens range
    I use 4.5 grs. of unique seated out to almost kiss the lands, I get 7/8 groups with the lee 105 gr. bullet, some loads of bullseye dont work the action in my Kimber and custom made Colt.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Wal' View Post
    ????? .38 case base [not rim] roughly measures .375 inch & 9mm case measures .387, both Win Cases
    .38 S & W not .38 Spl.

.38/200
    Specifications
    Bullet diameter .361 in (9.2 mm)
    Neck diameter .3855 in (9.79 mm)
    Base diameter .3865 in (9.82 mm)
    Rim diameter .440 in (11.2 mm)
    Rim thickness .055 in (1.4 mm)
    Case length .775 in (19.7 mm)
    Overall length 1.240 in (31.5 mm)

Lee 4 hole Turret Press with Lee dies and a Lee Auto disk works great. Loaded with the NOE 358 135GR BB and Unique- super combination. Loads fast and shoots great. Haven't tried Lees SWC but should be good. Lighter powder charges may not work the action properly in some automatics and cause feed issues.
    By the all-powerful dispensations of Providence, I have been protected beyond all human probability and expectation; for I had four bullets through my coat, and two horses shot under me, yet escaped unhurt, altho' death was levelling my companions on every side.

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jimwill48 View Post
    .38 S & W not .38 Spl.

.38/200
    Specifications
    Bullet diameter .361 in (9.2 mm)
    Neck diameter .3855 in (9.79 mm)
    Base diameter .3865 in (9.82 mm)
    Rim diameter .440 in (11.2 mm)
    Rim thickness .055 in (1.4 mm)
    Case length .775 in (19.7 mm)
    Overall length 1.240 in (31.5 mm)