Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Silent Shooter

Banned

Silent Shooter

Is it possible on a Mussloader to shoot sub sonic paper patched Woodchuck Boolits
    Last edited by WickedGoodOutdoors; 04-29-2012 at 10:15 AM.

I would think the patch material and the black powder would play havoc with the inside's.

After a fair amount of contemplation on the subject years ago I decided it was more effective to use a bow and arrow on woodchucks if I wanted to shoot them quietly. The effective range was about the same and the bow provided much less trouble.

Boolit Master

If you are not shooting over more than about 25 to 30 yards and are using a 50cal or larger just load 25 to 30 gr of powder under your PRB. It won't do much more than go, "woof" and belch out a cloud of smoke. Go to the range and experiment some, other than that there really is no way to put a suppressor on a ML.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

I know you can suppress airguns so a ML is probably fine.The problem i see is fouling gumming it up.Also it would have to be permanently attached(like airguns) so you couldn't put it on another gun.if you are in a state where you can buy a slilencer "stamp" its no big deal. it would be interesting to see if it worked in a suppressor.The loading procedure through the supressor would be the sticky part.

Zuke-

Paper patching works well in ML's and has been done successfully for years.its pretty a interesting subject.

George
    Last edited by HARRYMPOPE; 04-28-2012 at 09:36 AM.

If you are using a flintlock you can be very quiet with (wooof) small game loads. It's like an extremely accurate wrist rocket.
    A second hand cheapo little Traditions Deerhunter is just s-o-o-o cool for a knockabout flinter. Has to be the most versatile, reliable and ugly flintlock I've ever seen.
    Last edited by Good Cheer; 04-29-2012 at 09:33 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Since the question is regarding paper patched muzzleloader boolits, I have to think that if they are not hollow base, they likely would not slug up and take rifling with light loads.

I have to ask ~ why PP boolits? Why not patched RB as others have suggested? Or, why not minie? A minie skirt should expand and seal even with fairly light loads.

Also, what caliber and twist rate?

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HARRYMPOPE View Post
    I know you can suppress airguns so a ML is probably fine.The problem i see is fouling gumming it up.Also it would have to be permanently attached(like airguns) so you couldn't put it on another gun.

George
    this is incorrect.

the airgun manufacturer can permanently affix a suppressor to the barrel of a certain model, but if you manufacture one you are breaking some nfa laws, no matter what you plan to put it on.

Quote Originally Posted by troy_mclure View Post
    this is incorrect.

the airgun manufacturer can permanently affix a suppressor to the barrel of a certain model, but if you manufacture one you are breaking some nfa laws, no matter what you plan to put it on.
    you are correct about the manufacturing-

http://www.pyramydair.com/article/Ai...August_2006/32

George
    Last edited by HARRYMPOPE; 04-30-2012 at 02:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HARRYMPOPE View Post
    I know you can suppress airguns so a ML is probably fine.The problem i see is fouling gumming it up.Also it would have to be permanently attached(like airguns) so you couldn't put it on another gun.if you are in a state where you can buy a slilencer "stamp" its no big deal. it would be interesting to see if it worked in a suppressor.The loading procedure through the supressor would be the sticky part.

Zuke-

Paper patching works well in ML's and has been done successfully for years.its pretty a interesting subject.

George
    I know that. I paper patch for my 45-70's.
    But what would happen if enough paper built up in the baffle's alnog with the fowling?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by zuke View Post
    I know that. I paper patch for my 45-70's.
    But what would happen if enough paper built up in the baffle's alnog with the fowling?
    Well, if you let it build up, eventually there will not be sufficient clearance for the bullet to pass through. The bullet will hit some part of the suppressor and will probably destroy it and will also possibly cause you harm in the process.