Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bottled my first homebrew beer today!

Boolit Buddy
    I just brewed and kegged an alt from northern brewer. Came out pretty good I think. Lol!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    I am fascinated by the idea of home brew however I have a dilemma. I don't drink beer so.....
    Do you drink "medicinal grape juice" like Bruce mentioned? I used to make 5-10 gallons a year, gave a lot of it away, but I enjoy a glass from time to time. It keeps for just about forever if racked and bottled properly. I hardly drink any beer at all, never cared for the stuff. Why someone would cook hops and drink it is beyond my comprehension, but so is sushi.

Gear

I make maybe 3 - 4 batches a year. I've always used concentrates, so no boiling of hops, and it's always come out pretty good. The brew is also better now that I no longer use cane sugar as fermentation sugar; the light malts make a nicer brew.

I am fascinated by the idea of home brew however I have a dilemma. I don't drink beer so.....
    What about ginger beer or cider?

Our local brewery Cooper's makes a range of home brew concentrates for all sorts of beers, as well as a ginger beer, which makes a nice brew.

I've also made cider from concentrate and it also came out quite good. Ciders do need a bit of sweetening, and I use lactose for that, as lactose is a non-fermentable suger. Some folks use artificial sweeteners, but I can't stand the taste of that stuff.

The last batch of cider I made from purchased fruit juice, but it is vey dry, even with the lactose added. Still drinkable, though.

Boolit Master

I don't drink beer either, I started brewing it as it is ready much faster than my Meads. Lots in the family enjoy my beers, I currently rotate between a light honey ale and a milk and honey stout (yes I like the honey thing). I make mine with little bittering hops as that is what I don't care for in beer, the bitter.

My milk and honey stout did end up at 14%, so it is VERY stout lol.

Boolit Master
    I have noted a great side benefit to homemade mead consumption -- gout in big to has been vanquished. It took me a while to make the connection. I then goggled "mead gout" and sure enough it is a known cure/preventative medicine. I had been using a honey, unfiltered vinegar and water beverage treatment with some success. However the mead works far better.

Off to start another batch.
    ph4570

what type of bottles

firefly any bottle will work if you can get a good seal with the cap. I will buy a couple of flats of bottled water and reuse the bottles and caps for camping trips. I think soda bottles would be better because they are heavier duty. The water bottles get pretty firm when the beer carbonates but I have never had one fail (explode) yet.
    'Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions.' - Albert Einstein

Roy

Boolit Master

I would suggest keeping to bottles that originally held carbonated drinks. They're designed for it.

I really need to start brewing some mead.
    "I have enough ammo and guns to shoot my way into Nevada." - California resident.

Boolit Master
    thx,

Fortunately one does not have to brew (as in bring a large pot of stuff to boil and simmer for a good long while) mead. It is much simpler than beer, even simpler than beer from syrup. AND I have discovered that if one uses certain yeasts it matures much quicker and is ready for tasty consumption in a couple of months. My preferred yeast is Wyeast dry mead. It is a liquid yeast.
    ph4570

Banned

I gave up bottles long ago. I use all grain but my problem is getting the hop profile and aroma. I even grow my own Cascade hops.
    I use pop kegs and a co2 bottle.
    We have a good store in Frederick MD, Flying Barrel.
    The very best thing to make is black raspberry wine.

there is always moonshine !!/
    i brew beer have done some shine , grow my own hops cascade, willamette my favorites , im more of a lager guy than an ale drinker porter beer being my favorite
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

Well I poped the top off the first one last night and it was good! This may be as fun as casting and i sleep good too! Clint

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by ph4570 View Post
    thx,

Fortunately one does not have to brew (as in bring a large pot of stuff to boil and simmer for a good long while) mead. It is much simpler than beer, even simpler than beer from syrup. AND I have discovered that if one uses certain yeasts it matures much quicker and is ready for tasty consumption in a couple of months. My preferred yeast is Wyeast dry mead. It is a liquid yeast.
    Do you know of a link for Mead making?

I love home brewed beer.
    Home brew tastes so much better than any store bought beer.
    I had Pancreatitis and my doctor said no alcohol but a sip of good Mead would be nice now and then.

Boolit Master
    I bottled my brew on Saturday, 72 22 oz bottles. It's real good. Sippin on one as I type. I will be making a mead soon.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Longwood View Post

I love home brewed beer.
    I had Pancreatitis and my doctor said no alcohol but a sip of good Mead would be nice now and then.
    Two good links for you.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f80/

One is recipes, the other is mead discussion.
    "I have enough ammo and guns to shoot my way into Nevada." - California resident.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dragonrider View Post
    I bottled my brew on Saturday, 72 22 oz bottles. It's real good. Sippin on one as I type. I will be making a mead soon.
    Yesterday, I brewed for the first time since Oct. 2011.
    A cream ale for a friendly club competition in July.
    using a California Lager yeast and fermenting just
    below ale yeast temps...around 64º
    the carboy is sitting on the cellar floor.
    So far so good !
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Longwood View Post

I love home brewed beer.
    gotmead.com no where better, even has a newbee guide.

I've got a gallon of blueberry mead and 3 gallons of straight mead aging atm (been aging for about 8 months). In bottles I have a Pyment (mead made with grape juice and honey) and a cinnfull cyser (mead made with apple juice and honey) that I made for Christmas that has lots of cinnamon, hence the name.

Moderator Emeritus

I posted the recipe for the Cream ale I made yesterday.
    http://www.jackofallbrews.org/forum/...php?f=8&t=2000
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    I got 15 gal unpasturized apple juice from an orchard in Southern NH
    They are in 5 gal pop kegs with an airlocks attached. (Split 2 pouches Nottingham Ale yeast between them)
    I usually rack them every 2 months.
    Added @ 6 cinnimon sticks to two of them ... other is plain.
    Last year added @ 2 lbs honey to each keg ... came out amber but good.
    Year before was excellent ... crystal clear like champagne.
    I dispense with CO2....and it's on the dry side.

Clint
    You holding out on me, all this time I thought all you had was some really good lead for trade occasionally!
    Kevin
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

Love Life
    For those who don't like beer, have you considered making wine? Below is some lip smacking good strawberry wine. It's a bit strong!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast