Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: spout freezing up on pot?

Boolit Master

spout freezing up on pot?

Ive been casting alot of babbit laced bullets this weekend. Ive had to ladle cast them,because the spout continues to freeze. Heat it up with a propane torch,and cast 12-15 bullets and then it freezes again. BIG pain! Ive decided I need to buy a pot for ladle pouring babbit alloys. Question, anybody know why the babbit frigs up the bottom spout? These babbit bullets are such beautiful things to behold, although I dont know just how long ill play with them. Air cooled,you can drive them hard,and get no leading,(from mag handguns),and they shoot exellent. Going to figure out how to post pics some day, so you guys can see these golden hued beauties!

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Too much copper in your final mix. Keep thinning the mix you are using with WW until you can keep the spout open for at least 100 cycles or more on the melt. If you want to use your eyeballs instead of counting cycles, unload the bottom pour pot into a pan and pour that pan full into another pan back and forth. If you do not see any sheeting effect, then the copper is low enough for your pot and should continue in use until the cows come home. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master

Felix;
    I'm having trouble with the term "sheeting effect". Can you give a discription of this? I too have a bunch of babbit with copper. Thanks
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Banner Sponsor

To post pictures on the forum, the pics need to be uploaded to someplace on the web. You start by putting an image tag on the front and backside of the URL address. [ img ]http://www.blahblah.com/image.jpg[ /img ] but take out the spaces and insert your pictures address. The / slash is the end tag and it is used in most HTML stuff. I think there is a way to upload them on this site, but I haven't use it.
    hope this helps.

Boolit Master
    I read somewhere if you heat the alloy and then slowly turn down the heat, the copper will migrate to the top. It will have a rough appearance. Skim it off.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hiram View Post
    I read somewhere if you heat the alloy and then slowly turn down the heat, the copper will migrate to the top. It will have a rough appearance. Skim it off.
    hiram
    Ive tried all the tricks with this stuff, hot to cold. But i think ill just ladle pour it for now on. Its amazing that it will make nice bullets, because it almost seems to be slushy in appearance.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Ray View Post
    Felix;
    I'm having trouble with the term "sheeting effect". Can you give a discription of this? I too have a bunch of babbit with copper. Thanks
    Pepe Ray
    Pepe Ray, I to am confused by this info, hopefully he will straighten us both out! Ive got babbit and then more babbit as of now. It aint all the same. Some of it cast just like ww,and then some of it is specialized. Dont know how to tell it all apart,and frankly dont have the disire to study it. I cast with it when i become bored,and need a different tangent to fly off on! One thing I do know though, is the lone ranger would be mighty proud of the looks of these things!

Boolit Master

Is your lot from the last 'start up', or reclaimed from before 'shut down'?
    In my case , the alloy was changed a few years before 'shut down'. My stuff has more lead in it, but still rich in tin and some copper. I got the formular from the ingot as they came in but it is confusing (incomplete).
    I agree , they are beautiful and shoot good but they're TOO D---n hard.
    I thot Felix's description sounded like something I could use IF I could understand it.
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Ray View Post
    Is your lot from the last 'start up', or reclaimed from before 'shut down'?
    In my case , the alloy was changed a few years before 'shut down'. My stuff has more lead in it, but still rich in tin and some copper. I got the formular from the ingot as they came in but it is confusing (incomplete).
    I agree , they are beautiful and shoot good but they're TOO D---n hard.
    I thot Felix's description sounded like something I could use IF I could understand it.
    Pepe Ray
    This latest stuff im using came from brand new bars. Cant remember the name,but it came from brooklin NY. Hit them with a hammer,and they ring like a church bell. The stuff i have been using, is from bearing liners that i melted the babbit out of. The reclaimed stuff cast exellent, its this new stuff thats giving me grief. I got about 80 lbs of it,and would like to use it. Some day we are bound to meet up, and ill give you some of this stuff, so you can cuss as well.

Boolit Master
    If they are from Brooklyn, it's http://www.jacksonwheeler.com/
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Boolit Master
    The stuff I get is new ingots, nickle babbitt. Supposed to be lead free, so OSHA doesn't come down on us. I put it in a Lee production pot and turn the heat wide open. It makes very pretty, and super hard boolits, but they are quite a bit lighter than what the mold says.
    If my poy starts to trickle, I take a heavy duty paper clip and probe the hole with that. Works for me.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?