Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who's got a good recipe for black powder lube

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerShooter View Post
    That sounds like an interesting recipe. I think I have all the ingredients here.

Wonder Lube and bore butter freeze up like a brick in my winter weather. Ok for the rest of the year.
    hold on...if your talking about Paul Mathews recipe, be careful and add the murphey soap slooowly...it bubbles up and can make a mess keep the temperatures as low as possible too. My wife still uses it against me today because i did this on the stovetop.
    Last edited by almar; 12-22-2022 at 02:51 PM.
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by almar View Post
    hold on...if your talking about Paul Mathews recipe, be careful and add the murphey soap slooowly...it bubbles up and can make a mess keep the temperatures as low as possible too. My wife still uses it against me today because i did this on the stovetop.
    What a guy. I would have suggested a video watching you make it so we could all learn a little.
    Last edited by GL49; 12-24-2022 at 06:13 PM.

Boolit Master

As mentioned in a prior post. Unsalted lard/beeswax about 50/50 but your can add more lard to make it softer.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Buddy
    We just canned up a pigs worth of lard. I may remelt my chicken fat/beeswax lube and add some lard to soften it up a bit.

GATOFEO #1 LUBE

For grease grooved bullets and muzzleloader ball patches, by weight ...

1 part mutton tallow (Dixie Gun Works)
    1 part canning wax (Gulf online)
    1/2 part beeswax (filtered)

Melt all ingredients via double boiler (lube pot inside a water pot).
    The .45-70 is the only government I trust.

Boolit Buddy
    Shot the underhammer today with straight crisco. Best accuracy so far. 30g Swiss 3F 127 gn Maxi Ball. 1.5" at 50 yards from the bags.

It depends if your talking lube for grooved bullets or patch lube.
    For over 60 years I have used just old Vaseline for patch lube. Nothing else added. It lets me load for a 25 - 30 shot ML match without having to wipe the bore to seat the ball down on the powder. It had been used since the late 1880's when it was invented. It also works very well mixed with B-Wax, Soy Wax or Ozokerite wax for the grooved or lube wads for PP.
    If I chose to use lube with a GG projectile I use a mix of Soy or Oz wax softened up with vaseline and a little peanut oil.

Boolit Buddy
    Just shot a Primitive Biathlon in 14F temps. Shooting a 36 cal underhammer with Maxi style bullets. After trying a bunch of stuff, at low temps, Crisco works great. Won the match too!
    During a side match, offhand at 25 and 50, I shot my 34 cal percussion gun with patched buckshot. I kept a chemical handwarmer in my pocket with my patch strip to keep the lube soft. It was a patch lube from MyFlintlocks.com. Worked well also.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123