MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: H&R buffalo classic - Good buy?

Boolit Master

H&R buffalo classic - Good buy?

Saw a used H&R with checked stock for $269 Very good shape Is this a good buy?

Yes - Outstanding.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

+1 good deal.
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

Boolit Master

Question h&r

i have been a little interrested in the h&r buffalo classic. the 45-70 is a round that i'm not familiar with, only a little of what iv'e read on this forum which is not much. what is the range of the 45-70 and what powder do you load it with ? anyone care to shed some light on this ?

skimmerhead
    Cheap things are not good and Good Thing's Are Not Cheap

the worst part of getting old; is remembering when you were young

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skimmerhead View Post
    i have been a little interrested in the h&r buffalo classic. the 45-70 is a round that i'm not familiar with, only a little of what iv'e read on this forum which is not much. what is the range of the 45-70 and what powder do you load it with ? anyone care to shed some light on this ?

skimmerhead
    Range: 1,000 yards or thereabouts.
    Powder: 1.5F Swiss, 2F Goex, or any number of different smokeless powders. I only use Black.

For normal hunting use, 1,000 yards is pretty optimistic. You won't get anywhere near that range with the factory rear sight on a Buffalo Classic, either - it hasn't got adequate elevation adjustment.
    Last edited by nicholst55; 04-12-2012 at 06:25 AM.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master
    With that rifle and a 420 cast boolit, I use 40 gr or 3031. Nice and mild and I go to 200 yards with it. Very repeatable performance at all ranges. I'm on the low end of power. Refer to a good manual for all your load data. If you care to hold on to it, I believe you can load to modern lever action levels and still be very safe. Don't know why anybody would as light as my load is, it's a DRT, bang-flop load.

Boolit Master
    I recently saw one in a shop used for $395.00 (I passed)
    "The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

Can buy them new for under $400
    269 was a steal
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Man
    That is a good deal. Picked mine up 2 weeks ago new for $325. Cast up some 405g Lee RF's to shoot over "the load" and see how it goes. It must be a newer model as it has the extractor and not the ejector.

AJ
    Beat profusely with hammer until functional.

Boolit Master
    That is highway robbery. My Buffalo classic is the most accurate rifle I've ever shot and I have shot some extremely pricey Italian custom jobs. It is a legitimate 1,000 yard rifle.

Rounds vary from 144 grn roundball to 600 grn cruise missiles and you can use it as a shotgun (48 gauge) by loading previously shot brass with shot and powder (no shot cup).

These rifles are the most fun you can have with a rifle. They are endlessly entertaining.

Boolit Master

h&r buffalo classic

i didn't think they'd reach out that far. now i'm interested, i like long range target shooting and this sounds like with a proper site it could be a lot of fun. i have a few 45-70 brass cases laying around that i don't know how they came in my possesion but i have one on the shelf of my reloading desk and every once in awhile i look at. never had much time to mess with it, to busy with all my handguns. i think its time to figure out how to explain to my wife why i would need a new rifle. maybe carpal tunnell syndrome ? honey i can't shoot my handguns because of my wrist. wifes responce, well i thought you said you had to give up rifle's because of your shoulder! but honey i'm gonna use my other sholder. well i thought you said both sholders hurt? i don't think that one's gonna work, i'll have to give this more thought.

skimmerhead

Boolit Buddy
    I p/u a Wesson & Harrington 1871 BC last week. $300 tax free for mine. You got a deal for sure. This one is 14yrs old and unfired. Not for long though. Need to get some brass and a mold.
    GO WVU MOUNTAINEERS!--Hey, our mascot carries a muzzleloader.
    ---------------------------------
    Professional Critter Chaser
    ---------------------------------
    I love wildlife, it tastes great!

Boolit Buddy
    Apparently I'm the dissenting vote here. I had a buffalo classic and thought it was a piece of ****. The lockup became loose very quickly and the barrel was always prone to warping with heat so if I shot more than one shot every 5 minutes, POI would be different. It also had one of the roughest bores I've ever seen from the factory and H&R refused to even take a look, claiming that it must somehow be my fault. I sold it with about 300 rounds downrange, none of them in groups any better than about 9" at 100yds. I won't ever buy anything of that make again, but clearly other people have had different experiences.

I have that rifle in 38/55 and its a lot of fun and will not beat you up. I like it.
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Grand Master
    Careful skimmerhead, you're going to have to start mowing the lawn again if all your "ailments" are explained away.

Boolit Master

ailments

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Careful skimmerhead, you're going to have to start mowing the lawn again if all your "ailments" are explained away.
    aledged ailments

I just had a great time at the range with mine today (45-70), shot it out to the turkey bank (385m) chippin at rocks offhand. I shot all 50 rnds. that I had loaded, before I knew it. Best load so far has been the RD 425gc/42/3031. I should be able to use my arm again by monday, LOL!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skimmerhead View Post
    i didn't think they'd reach out that far. now i'm interested, i like long range target shooting and this sounds like with a proper site it could be a lot of fun.

skimmerhead
    Good quality target sights will cost you roughly twice the price of the gun. Bear that in mind, because it turns a lot of people off. Note that none of the Italian target sights that I have seen fit into the category of 'good quality.'
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    The Marbles Improved sights work well. The Improved version will go out a long ways.

the 45-70 is a round that i'm not familiar with, only a little of what iv'e read on this forum which is not much. what is the range of the 45-70 and what powder do you load it with ? anyone care to shed some light on this ?

Not to make light of an inquiry, but I'm guessing maybe the 45-70 has had more written about it than any other caliber (the '06 the lone exception?)......