Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: dacron fillers???

Boolit Man
    Seems to be several kinds of dacron. I bought mine in Walmart in a big bag that looked like a pillow and it looked just like cotton. I just tear off a piece and roll it up to a ball and start it through the neck then tap it down against the powder. Trying to use as little as possible but not let the powder come around the sides. Never had any pressure problems but never used it on any pressure loads to my knowledge. I've never used any on straight walled cases, just bottle necks.

Bill

Boolit Buddy
    just outside Sulphur Springs in north east Texas
    I don't have near the experince most of you folks have.I use quilt batting scraps left over from my wife's quilting.I use a peice about 1in. by 1in. and push it down over the powder. I mostly load 7.62x54R .With 2400 or 3031 have tried BLC2 .use 311466 cast WW shoots good no fibers come out at the shot.Am I doing any thing wrong?You all got the experince.
    God is good all the time

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by felix
    Bob, 28 grains? What case size would that be such that no filler would be used, when seating the same boolit the same way? A half inch smaller in length case? ... felix
    Hi Felix, Welcome back. Good question. I'll measure it the next time I load some. I would guess that it's slightly more than a half inch as I have no trouble filling the space with 2 grains of Dacron. How are you feeling? Bob...

Boolit Mold

Dacron fillers

The Dacron fiber I mentioed was sold by Sears for pillow stuffing. It was in the eary 60s, the NRA did some eary testing using fillers, and alox. Dacron was mentioned I belive at that time. I started reloading in 1960, We did not have much good info. then. Loading tools were quite crude then, but You still managed to get decent groups. Bulk surplus powder was less than a dollar a pound. By the way during My early reloading efforts, I was actually employed by Dupont and I have the pension checks to prove it. On a more serious note, the Dupont people were really good at getting information for You. The company was no stranger to the shooting world.

Banned
    Old Gunner

That's plum amazing. If I hadn't ribbed and joked about it we'd never know that.

Joe

Boolit Master

Dacron

Joe;
    I have a very hard time reading your posts and believing that you are 'Just kidding", I find your posts very offensive, I would never think of calling some one a liar without very convincing evidence.
    In my opinion, you should apologize to OldTimer and pay more attention to how your posts actually read.
    Don.

Banned
    Drinks

Who's Oldtimer? Do you mean old gunner? No wonder why you have a hard time understanding posts, well at least one reason. Old gunner is a tough old old fellow and as I see it a gentleman. If you find my posts offensive, simple solution..don't read them. Old gunner don't need you standing up for him, he's pretty capable and from the amount of time he's been reloading pretty knowledgeable too...especially having discoverd using a Dacron filler so many years ago.

Old Gunner

Did you by any chance, when you worked for DuPont, get any kind of discount on their powder when they were the ones that actually made it?

Joe

Boolit Master

Thumbs down Dacron

Joe;
    I find you no gentleman or a person to cultivate, I shall never have anything further to do with you.
    Don

Boolit Master

Unhappy S.e.e. Does Exist

HI,
    Just had a chance to revisit this thread.
    Please believe me S.E.E. does exist. It happened to me 2 times w/ .25/06s.
    I'm lucky to still have my eyes ,fingers, & still be alive to regreat my mistakes. BE ESPECALLY CAREFULL W/ MIM. LOADS OF IMR 4350 & IMR 4320 IN 06 SIZE CASES.
    The sad/amasing thing about both cases is the magazine American Rifeman published a warning about 2-3 mo.later about some reports of handloaders having the same experance as me. I had not contacted them about my personal disasters.
    THESE LOADS WERE MIM. SUGGESTED LOADS IN THE LYMAN RELOADING MANULE.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Yes, indeed, SEEs do exist! It occurs whenever a powder charge causes multiple wave fronts, ie, multiple pressure spikes. Most, like 99.99 percent, of the time the multiple wave fronts don't combine into one tidal wave, making one helacious pressure excursion. Using something "solid" like shotgun plastic filler filled to the top of the case before boolit insertion provides more interference for negatve wave front action. Whenever fliers are found on the target the first possible is multiple wave fronts. Sometimes this kind a wave action can be see whenever high ES's occur, but there is no guarantee of anything. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Mold

Dacron fiber, ect.

No discounts of any kind, well We could buy steel toe shoes rewal cheap.
    When I was employed by DuPont, they had a big interest in Remington, no luck there either.
    Those comments about pressure was interesting, because after an explosion onthe plant where I worked, I was a"gofer" for one of the investigators.
    He talked a lot about pressure spikes, and what may cause them. The one I remember the most was about shock waves. This is what He said" when an explosion takers place, a shock wave traveledahead of the blast, if the shock wave hits an obstructio, it will bounce back. In theory, perhaps causing the pressure to double at the point where they meet" He was quick to point out that this was an unproven idea. Since this was so long ago, things may and have likely changed. But if an air space between powder and projectile can cause a problem, this makes sense. Sure wish I had paid more attention when I was young. Since I am over 70, My skin is pretty thick, never worry about offending this old guy. I do enjoy the back and forth chit chat, makes one pay attention, also all in all this is a very nice group, I am learning a lot, best group I have found yet. There are some real pros here.
    Thanks for allowing Me to ramble on. Bill

Banned
    Bill,

That DuPont plant that you worked at, what did they make? I might have missed it if you posted it. Most plants I worked at got you a discount on safety equipment, like those steel toes shoes. Now when I worked at one of the major Sunoco oil refineries, we got a discount and anything related to oil, like car parts for example.

What you said about that shock wave makes alot of sense. I like the part where it hits an obstruction then bounces back...maybe that explains the ripple effect on buckshot's 45-70 casings. If you think about it, it's the shock waves created by some explosives that do the damage.

Joe
    Last edited by StarMetal; 07-10-2005 at 10:02 PM.

Boolit Mold

Fillers, pressure ect.

The plant that I was employed at, produced Neoprene. We could buy some clothing, I still wear the wool pants for deer hunting. As far as I know powder was not available. Gun powder back then was fairly cheap, I was able to buy at wholesale since I had a small comercial reloading thing going .
    More on pressure spikes, when surplus 4831 was real cheap, we were warned about reduced loads in large cases. I have heard about guns comming apart, but have never seen it documented, I read somewhere that it is difficult if not almost impossible to duplicate. Most of the time We wanted all the speed We could get, and used a case full +, barrels eroded also.
    There is an article in the Aug. Gs&A, byBob Forker on the38-40, He describes using a small tuff of dacron to keep the powder down next to the primer. This is how I have been doing it fo years. Forker has been around for years, We likely learned this trick about the same time, but this group has got Me thinking about mending My way.
    Bill

Banned
    Bill

I read that article about Forker. What amazed me is he left an airspace between that dacron wad and the base of the bullet in that demostration model he had a picture of. We advise not to leave an airspace with any kind of filler.

Joe

I wondered about that too.

Boolit Man
    I thought the air space was a black powder thing or slow smokeless rifle powder thing.

Bill

Boolit Master on Heavens Range

More about SEE

Literally, the SEE idea is being explored in more detail.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...gue_waves.html
    felix

On Heaven's Range

Back in the late '80s, I think, there was an excellent article in "Handloader" from a gent (Roger Stowers, perhaps?) wherein he was able to repeatedly produce extremely excessive pressures as he progressively REDUCED loads in a 6.5mm wildcat. These were pressures sufficient to blow extractors out of the rifle, etc. If I have time, I'll try to find the article.

Not once, not twice, but MANY times he did this, and in each case the pressures eventually rose astronomically as the charge was reduced.

My own wife had a fine Browning Mauser come apart in her hands from a load which left the bullet lodged a few inches from the chamber, aparently as a result of a hangfire and re-ignition.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Grand Master
    As always--reading the thread over a couple times prompts some thought. A pretty dangerous scenario, in other words.

I have used the dacron filler to keep the powder confined, and used (Buckshot's description) No. 1 Mk III Eyeball to guesstimate the correct amount needed to fill the empty cases with the lofty stuff. Today while loading some 250 Savage chow with both NEI 100 grain "RG-4's Shrunk In The Wash" and Lyman #257420 (I'll make that G-- D--- boolit shoot in SOMETHING!!) I decided to throw caution to the winds and actually weigh the tufts of fluff that I eyeballed. 1.0 grains, with extreme spread of 0.1 grains. Such occurrences are called "epiphanies" by persons more poetic than my own self. There's probably a poetic gene or two floating around my half-century-old mainframe, but I think a RFLP DNA scan would be hard put to hunt it up without a HUGE tissue sample to draw from.

Anyway, I am a convert to the Dacron Solution--and to date the substance has only done things for me that range from Innocuous to GREAT. And on that note--I adjourn.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Bub
    Al,

My epiphanies generally come about after two cups of coffe and in the 2nd stall while reading the Chronicle's Op-ed page.......

....while not at all detracting from your gene theory IMHO 1 grain of dacron simply looks right- I've become accustomed to pulling (and weighing) 1 grain tufts from dog toys that have suffered dis-integration. I became a dacron fan inside of the first 100 #311041's that went downrange- magic for my '03A3 seems to be 12 grains of Unique, 1 grain of dacron, a 311041 and a Hornady check. At this modest velocity just about any lube will work- but what a difference that dacron filler makes!

......regards.........