Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Lyman mould 348480- What is it?

Boolit Mold

Lyman mould 348480- What is it?

I got ahold of almost 2 dozen Lyman moulds. All but one I could find information on, even the 2 odd caliber round ball moulds for pistols. But this one I couldn't find. Did Lyman ever screw up stamping moulds? When I couldn't find it I started really checking it. It measures .358 and the cavity looks close to a 358480, I got one of those in the lot and the length, grooves and style (SWC) is the same, but nose diam is slightly smaller. 348480 is single cav and 358480 is double.
    Screw-up or ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0828.JPG   IMG_0833.JPG  
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse

Boolit Grand Master
    Welcome aboard,

When I read 348480, my first thought was that it was for the .348 Winchester; but after reading your post and looking at the mold, I think the misstamping idea is correct.

Have you cast any boolits with it?

Robert

Boolit Master

That's a 358480. Drops about a 130 something grain SWC. I use mine in the .38 Special and also in the 9mm case in my Blackhawk convertible./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Mold
    That is all I can think of is a miss label. Anyone else hear of that? No I have not cast any. The 358480 does say 133 gr. and with the smaller nose diameter maybe a few grains less on this 348. May hang on to this one also instead of selling. I do have a .38, but hardly shoot it, just not as fun as the rest of the bunch.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes indeed--I just passed on a 245-496 that was double stamped--it originally said 344-496 before someone "corrected" it. I have another overstamp somewhere in my collection, but off hand I don't recall what it is. Back in the day, all the molds were stamped by hand, and Lyman did not just chuck the errors and start over. If it was a good mold, it got sold.

Boolit Buddy
    It's gotta be 358480. Just looking at your mould block, it looks like my 358477 minus a crimp groove. And lighter. From my understanding it would be a .358 bullet of the 480th design from Lyman. Shortly after the 358477, right. I would say it is mis stamped and is an early mould.

I would love to know when Lyman mould were introduced. Roughly, what year were moulds indroduced by number?