Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are Cast Iron Lead Pots so dang expensive?

Why are Cast Iron Lead Pots so dang expensive?

Been trying to find an old Dutch Oven or some other Cast Iron pot to smelt my wheel weighs in so I don't mess up my Lee Production Pot. No luck on Dutch Ovens, most are antiques and most folks think they're made out of gold.
    Cheapest actual CI Lead Pot I've found is a 20lb Pot for around $18 bucks. I've got a RCBS 10lb but really want more for making ingots since 10lb goes pretty fast. Where is a good source for getting some cheap CI Lead Pots, ladles and ingots molds? Thanks
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Keep trying thrift stores. Or yard/garage sales.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Try places like Tractor Supply, in the camping or barbeque section. We have an outfit up here called Peavey Mart, very much like Tractor Supply in the U.S. I got a Chinese cast iron pot that will hold about 50lbs. of smelted lead WW's for 15 bucks.
    Blue
    Skin that one Pilgrim, I'll fetch you another!

Boolit Grand Master

My set up uses a Harbor Freight 12" Dutch Oven. It holds over 120# of lead:

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...t?q=dutch+oven

So far, I have smelted over 1000 lbs of lead with the Dutch oven and a Turkey/Fish Fryer:

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...lineMar2012_HM

Do NOT use the supplied aluminum pot for melting lead. Aluminum's melting temperature is too close to the melting point of lead and is seriously weakened which can lead to catastrophic failure when used to melt lead. Give the aluminum pot to your wife for kitchen use.

Both pieces are currently on sale.

FWIW
    Dale53
    Last edited by Dale53; 04-18-2012 at 10:46 AM.

i have been looking for a used castiron pot to do my smelting, i finaly gave up and have a LEE 20# magnum melter on order. $46 from FSreloading.

I did find a nice 2 qt. Dutch Oven at Dunham's Sports for $23 bucks. Tractor Supply is right next door, need to check them out too. Next payday I guess I'll hit Tractor Supply and see if they can do better then Dunham's, if not then I'll get the one they've got.

Boolit Master

www.Craigslist.com I see them all of the time in my area,try your area!

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Finding the cast iron pot is tough because a lot of women want the high quality American made pots of yesteryear these days, not the crappy chinese ones, so they're driving the price up on "vintage" pots.

Boolit Buddy
    bought cast iron pot on ebay for $2, with shipping i had $13 in it. guessing it will hold about 30 pounds or more.

Boolit Master
    I found a dutch oven at a thrift store for $5.
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Boolit Buddy
    I us an 8 qt stainless pot , $3.00 +tax at thrift store.
    It holds about 90# & works great.
    Also got a couple yards of flannel there for cleaning patches FREE.

Boolit Buddy
    Do NOT use the supplied aluminum pot for melting lead. Aluminum's melting temperature is too close to the melting point of lead and is seriously weakened which can lead to catastrophic failure when used to melt lead. Give the lead pot to your wife for kitchen use.

I think he ment give the aluminum pot to your wife.

Quote Originally Posted by runnin lead View Post
    I think he ment give the aluminum pot to your wife.
    We don't cook in aluminum either. Stainless pots or cast iron frying pan only.

Boolit Master

Go to http://cajuncastiron.com/eshop/10Bro...ry=Cast%20Iron

I have a 3 quart cast iron pot I got for 15 bucks and it holds at least 40 pounds.
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

Boolit Master
    The quality of cast iron pots varies greatly, and I don't trust them not to crack while in use, after all they are not designed to work in the temp range needed for melting lead. You will be better off aquireing a stainless steel pot, preferrably one with a single piece bottom, not laminated.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFloweryBranchGA View Post
    Finding the cast iron pot is tough because a lot of women want the high quality American made pots of yesteryear these days, not the crappy chinese ones, so they're driving the price up on "vintage" pots.
    I think you're right. I was in an antique shop the other day and saw the tags on some of the old iron cookware. Pretty fancy prices on the old US brands indeed. Something else feeding the fire, so to speak, is that there seems to be a whole cult of folks taking up backyard cooking with iron cookware. Just do a search on line, and you'll find hit after hit about pots, pans, recipes, cookbooks, etc. It's apparently getting to be a pretty popular activity, even for the city dwellers.

Boolit Bub

The price of cast iron

Back to the original question was driving the price of cast iron is your US government becomes all things associated with making are considered hazardous today and have to be disposed of as a hazardous material average price of producing cast-iron in this country is about $30 a pound very little of it is made here anymore the Chinese do manufacture cast-iron in all quality levels and grades

my original smelting pot was a steel canning pot from Wal-Mart we welded the spout in the bottom of it with half-inch black pipe and put a ball valve works just fine when required a bigger pot we actually manufactured a 24" x 24" x 36" deep square pot use the same turkey burner for both pots this one is primarily for mixing alloy will mix them up 1200 pounds a time

AnnieOakley
    I found my cast iron pot at the local flea market. It's what I would call a sauce pot. I got it for $1!!

Longwood
    The cast pots made in China are not only made from very low quality iron, but they are incredibly thin and prone to cracking.
    I have had one that cracked, one break completely in two and saw another one that a neighbor lady had that broke while cooking beans in an oven.

I have a nice thick American made dutch-oven now, but much prefer the 12" x 6" stainless pot I got at the goodwill for smelting, alloying and or refining bullet metal..

As thick as it is, my American made dutch oven is no where near as thick as the 20 pound capacity, cast iron lead pot, I own.

The flimsy handles that come with Dutch-ovens, should be removed and tossed in the trash, if you plan on smelting with one

If I wanted a large, safe, and extremely efficient pot that I would expect to last 50 years, I would buy one of the stainless cooking pots from walmart with the thick aluminum pad imbedded into the bottom and made with good strong handles.
    The now, seemingly high price, will look miniscule in 50 years.

Boolit Grand Master

I bit the bullet and bought a new Lodge Dutch Oven. Yes it cost a lot more than if I had found one at a yard sale. But I had it immediately and the cost per pound of lead produced goes down with every batch. I take care of all my tools so I don't think I'll need to buy a new one for a very long time, if ever.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.