Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: most accurate/powefull loads in you .357 rossi 92

Quote Originally Posted by jblee10 View Post
    ... lyman358429. It feeds slick enough in mine. Work the lever like it is meant to be worked! Quickly, like someone is shooten back at ya...
    So I retried the 358429 in the new Rossi after reading this. It cycles GREAT now. Sometimes is the little things like this that make big difference.

Thanks
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT
    http://357shooter.blogspot.com/

Thanks for all the feed back guys. Any more suggestions are welcome.
    "If you have a nick-nack with a nick in it we'll knock the nick out of your nack with Brighto!" -Larry Fine

Casting on dry land...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by azrednek View Post
    I've put hundreds of the Lee 125 through my short barreled Rossi lever. It is ideal for plinking and I haven't had any problems with key holing out to 50 yards. I've gone from mild loads of Bullseye starting about 3.0 grs up to hot loads in 357 brass using 2400.
    Your loads were probably keyholing so bad that by the time they got to 50 yds., they had turned another 270 degrees and just looked like they were not keyholing?🤔

Boolit Master
    Have patience with me on this:
    I load 14.2-14.8/2400/158 gr. RNFP-PC (from Missouri Bullets) and obtain 1415 + 25 f/s (higher end) from a 6" S&W M28. This range gives very accurate loads. I filled a friend's Rossi .357 carbine with loads of this sort, and shot a group just smaller than the top of a 12 oz. cola can at 100 yards (from a bench).
    The 158 gr. projectile might not be as heavy as you wish, but I can forgive a lot of things about a hand-load when it prints like that. MBC probably makes a heavier PC'd projectile that would work well.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Bub
    You guys are very kind to respond to a 10 year old thread.

I found the SWC GC (RCBS 162 grain or Lyman 156 grain) with WW296 was very powerful and accurate in the Rossi.
    But it was way more than ten years ago.

By the way, the same boolits with light charges of AL-5 was amazingly accurate.

Boolit Buddy
    I copied this from the previously referenced article:

"One of my favorite powders is the medium burning Blue Dot. It seems to go well with light bullets. Lee shows 14.6 grains under a 110 grain JHP will go 1873 fps and 16 grains will hit 2040 fps at a cost of only 33,800 psi (rifle). You should see what happens to a southwestern jackrabbit when hit with one of these flying bombs, we could title it THE DECAPITATION FACTOR . It is a very accurate load from my Marlin, and a varmint load supreme. One caution, because the load is 16 grains and only 33,000 psi+ don’t think that we can load up to say 18 grains.. Lee stopped at 16 grains for a reason... Fast and medium handgun and shotgun powders also can reach a critical pressure stage sometimes with little warning....

Lee’s loads for 125 grain JHPs with Blue Dot are also very good... 13.1 grains gives 1647 fps and 14.5 grains pushes the 125 grainers at just under 1800 fps for a cost of 34,000 psi. a great load for heavier varmints like coyotes...."

It interests me because I want to work up a max, non-GC'ed loading for my Rossi 357 rifle. Been using the Lee 124 grain TLTC and 124 grain TC designs. Both powder coated.

So far, powder coating has kept my bores lead-free. Just wondering if anyone else is doing something similar. My Rossi seems to like the lighter boolits. However, I have had decent luck recently with PC'ed 148 grain wad cutters. I will also try pushing those faster to see what kind of accuracy I can get out to 100 yards.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wad.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	305852

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Blue Dot went extinct here years ago. Closest things that ever show up are H110 and W-W 244.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

10 year old recovered ZOMBIE

Boolit Master
    Just got done chronoing some .357 loads out of a .357 Maximum barreled rifle, 20 inches in length. Using 17.5 gr. MP 300 and a 160 gr PB round nose from an NOE mold. They were very accurate and were moving along at average 1821 fps. These were powder coated and sized at .358". I suppose out of the 24" barreled Rossi rifle I had planned to shoot them from, they would be a few fps faster. I couldn't get my new chrono to fit on the barrel as the thin spacer is somewhere stuck to another guy's gun barrel. I loaded a few 125 gr. loads with some Lil' gun and 296 and will have to try these out next trip to the range.

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Great information.
    keep on rolling along.no matter what happens just keep rolling

Boolit Buddy
    I keep coming back to the Lee 124 grain TCTL boolit, powder coated, over some Unique in a 38 case. On a good day I can ring the 200 yard gong pretty regularly. That boolit is designed for the 9mm but powder coating brings it up to size.

I don't hunt with mine.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by derek45 View Post

Can you share your recipies?
    “If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.” - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Stick View Post
    Can you share your recipies?

max loads of H110/win296

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12