Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Homemade lead dropper?

Boolit Master

Smile Homemade lead dropper?

Has anyone tried to drop their own lead shot for shotgun reloading? I mean without a 100' shot tower. Any luck? Tried it a couple of times, got some shot with tails. Disappointed, then thought " would tails stabilize shot if used like that?"

Boolit Man
    The Littleton Shotmaker may be what you are looking for.

Email us: bbullets@nwi.net
    Phone #: (520)370-4999
    Shotmaker Model 65 $375.00 US*
    Model 65 is our 110 Volt AC machine that plugs into any standard (U.S.) wall receptacle, it has a maximum production of 45 lbs. (21Kg) per hour and comes with a set of drippers in your choice of shot size #6, #7, #7½, #8, #8½ or #9. The Model 65 is also available in 220 Volt AC for those who prefer this feature.

You can google up the site.

Boolit Master

Talking

been there, seen that. I was searching the net looking when I ran across it. But nobody else has tried something different? can't hardly get lead shot and was wondering of doing own like I do the boolits.

In Remembrance
    The "old timers" poured lead through a plate with several drilled holes, dropping the lead into water. Yeah, it made tear-drop shaped pellets. They called it Swan Shot. Emery
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

In Remembrance

Shot with tails makes a spreader load, but in my experience it opens patterns quickly. Dale

Boolit Master

Thumbs up

DALE, WERE YOU SAYING THAT IT OPENS TOO QUICKLY? might not be bad for skeet or rabbit.

shot maker

I make my own shot. My machine is a James Stewart not a Littleton. here are some pictures and a short video of my setup making shot. here is the link.

http://loesshillsarmory.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=210
    Last edited by duke76; 04-02-2007 at 05:46 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by newsmokepole64 View Post
    Has anyone tried to drop their own lead shot for shotgun reloading? I mean without a 100' shot tower. Any luck? Tried it a couple of times, got some shot with tails. Disappointed, then thought " would tails stabilize shot if used like that?"
    Here is a bunch of post's about the trials and tribulations of making your own shot.

good luck

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...09c85a649568a9

Boolit Master
    getta hold of ovendoctor, he can tell ya about his adventures with shot makin. I found that the tails really didn't seem to affect things much. Then again, were I hunt, one of my friends swatted a grouse with his buttstock, kinda like a knife fight in a telephone booth.
    Some where between here and there.....

In Remembrance

Shot with tails

Newsmokepole64: I did not say it opens too quickly, as that can be a desirable trait in some circumstances, but does limit the effective range. Dale

Boolit Master
    My granddad tryed to make some back in the 50s. He poured lead wile standing on the roof and dropping it in to water. He got every shape known to man, EXCEPT ROUND..............Buck
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    One of the things that makes dropped shot round is arsenic. The arsenic increases the surface tension pulling in all directions at the same time. If you have ever tried to skim a pot of metal that has a high surface tension you will see it work. You just can not get the surface to stay in one place.
    The tall tower allowed the droplet to form a sphere due to surface tension but to be cool enough to be hard before it hit the watter.
    Thats why theres arsenic in shot, and thats why we add shot to the melt to aid in heat treating. Arsenic, what would we do without it?
    bic/bs

Boolit Master

Thumbs up

I think I got r figured out. thanks to all of your replies. I am able to get good round shot. took some trial and error.I tried dropping from different heights into water, glycol.....didn't work. From 3 ft up to 25 ft(almost round). finally after some more research, came up with a laddle with a tiny hole in the bottom, with a spash plate attached under it, dropping 1/2" into a hot water/soap bath. works. gives me about size 7 1/2.

Boolit Buddy
    Would it be possible to get a pic of that? so I know exactly what I'm trying to copy...

G.
    "Brass?" "Check." "Lead?" "Check." "Powder? ""Check." "Primers?" "Check." "Lube? ""Check." "Good.... Gun? ......... Gun?......." "ummm.... I'm soposed to have a gun?"

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    How much of a drop do you need? I have about 15' out my back window
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    I would post some pics, if I could figure out how?

Boolit Master
    Last edited by NSP64; 04-13-2007 at 09:42 PM. Reason: don't know what I'm doing, but I'm make good time!

Boolit Master

Thumbs up

finally!!!!! pictures show ladle with ramp attatched by a rivet, using an aluminum ( disposable) cake pan filled almost to the top with hot water and a dash of soap. I sit the edge of the ramp on the side and it gives me about a 1/2" of drop into the water. I use my bottom drop furnace to fill the ladle (600-650 degrees) and a propane torch to preheat the ramp and keep the ladle hot.

Boolit Master

use a little chalk or soapstone

If you use a little chalk or soapstone routinely on the ramp it will help to get round shot. Also antifreeze has given us the best shot. It is a pain in the butt to clean dry and the graphite. But if you do it in large batches it makes it more bearable.

Moderator Emeritus
    Smokepole,

That looks pretty simple, which is normally good!

A bunch of questions:
    o What is the diameter of the hole?
    o Is there only one?
    o Any reason not to make more?
    o How fast does the lead drip?
    o Does the shot hit the ramp and then go into the water or does it fall directly into the water?
    o Why hot water? I understand that it will get hot as the shot falls in, but did you start with hot water?

Thanks,
    John

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast