Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Leather Pocket Knife Case

Boolit Master

Leather Pocket Knife Case

Hi,
    I thought I would take a few pics of my latest little project. I have been using a fairly large pocket knife and it was actually getting in my way and putting wear and tear on my Levi's. I had some old Mex leather that I should use for something. Not very good but it's what I had!

As you can see it did not stamp very well but better than nothing and looks better to me than plain. I used an awl and saddle stitched it by hand. I wet formed it with the knife and it comes out of the case pretty smooth!
    Last edited by seagiant; 05-07-2012 at 08:52 PM.

Boolit Master
    Looks good to me. Fat lot better than some of the rubbish these hands have cobbled up.

Boolit Master
    Hi Dean,
    Thanks! I just noticed from the pics that I put the snap on a$$ backward! Back to the bench!!!

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Ok here you go! I don't want to confuse the pros!
    Last edited by seagiant; 05-07-2012 at 08:52 PM.

Boolit Master

The snaps don't HAVE to go like in the second pic, they will work either way. Why did you curve the belt loops? Seems to me it will put more strain on the outside stitching. Nice looking knife sheath, altogether. I keep waiting for my Leatherman case to wear out so I can build a nicer one, but it has been 10 years so far. I have re-sewn the belt loops twice.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    I curved the belt loop as it "looks" better and it still has plenty of strength. Admittedly I've daubled in leather work off and on for years just nothing really serious. I want to get into traditional leather carving but my swivel knifework needs more practice. I'm learning now to use the traditioal awl with my stitching. I guess you guys use a machine as sewing by hand takes a lot of time! Thanks for the nod!

Good looking job done on that.
    Life's hard, even harder if your stupid.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Thanks! Here is a still pic from Sergio Leone's "How the West was Won" considered by quite a few people as the best Western ever made! This Holster caught my eye and I've wanted to try to learn traditional carving ever since!
    Last edited by seagiant; 06-06-2012 at 07:25 PM.

Nice work.

Just a thought; it's sometimes more convenient to have a small knife case horizontally on a belt, in front next to the belt buckle.

This belt has the pouch sewn in as part of the belt, but you get the idea.

Boolit Master

seagiant

You call the snap backwards, but after looking at it, I think I may like it that way rather than the way they are normally mounted.

I will have to try it on something here ans see how it works out to see what I think.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    Hi Norbrat,
    That is VERY nice work! I actually thought about doing it in horizontal but was in a bit of a hurry and fell back on what I'm used to! What I like about your rig is it is almost camoflaged which in todays politically correct BS world is GOOD!!!

Hi Louis
    No for me I like the male piece on the body and the female on the flap? Just feels right I guess. Springfield was correct of course it works fine either way but looks and feels better the RIGHT way to me!

Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi Norbrat,
    That is VERY nice work! I actually thought about doing it in horizontal but was in a bit of a hurry and fell back on what I'm used to! What I like about your rig is it is almost camoflaged which in todays politically correct BS world is GOOD!!!
    Well, I didn't actually make this belt; the pic was shamelessly stolen from the website of the maker of these belts, as well as various other leather goodies, including knife pouches.

But the horizontal method of carrying is fairly common here in Oz, especially among the cockies (farmers). Much more comfortable than having the pouch dig into your back when you get into the truck.

Boolit Master
    Hi Norbrat,
    Never been to Oz,but visited Brisbane and Cains once! It's sort of funny when they have big signs that say stay out of the water when you launch your boat because of saltwater crocs! Oh yea I was told not to handle any snakes either!

I figured the best thing to do was stay in the bar!!! Ha!

Boolit Master

Actually I hand sew everything. It takes longer but it is much stronger and will hold up better if you do break a stitch on down the road.

Boolit Master
    Hi Springfield,
    I don't do that much leather work to justify one (sewing machine) but I might try to do more in the future! I used to hand forge knives alot and they had to have a sheath cause the boys buying them were deer hunters. I did it sort of cause I had to for a complete rig! I think I'm going to practice traditional western carving next. Try to get my swivel knife mojo going! I see that you do a nice job of that!!! Any tips for a novice? I bought a DVD on it and it shows me how to get started anyway!

Boolit Buddy
    Hello Norbrat. could you tell me who makes the belt in the picture you posted. Thanks.
    I keep trying to stay afloat but can't help from shooting holes in my own boat.

Quote Originally Posted by cdet69 View Post
    Hello Norbrat. could you tell me who makes the belt in the picture you posted. Thanks.
    Here you go:

http://skt.netc.net.au/hide_belts.htm

Plenty of belt makers here in Oz

http://www.australianmadebelts.com.au/

http://www.aussiebushleather.com.au/

http://kkcustombelts.com.au/item.php?item_id=291

etc, etc

Boolit Master

seagiant: sharpen the swivel knife, then strop it. I did a few leather items with the swivel as it came form the maker. Then I sharpened it well a few years later and I couldn't believe how much easier everything went. I felt so stupid.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Yea I know you have to have it sharp and the leather "cased" but my problem is getting those nice artful swirls and the manipulations with it! Just takes practice I guess!