Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Swaged my first .224 today with rimfire jackets.

Boolit Master

Swaged my first .224 today with rimfire jackets.

They are tumbling now. picked up a set of Corbins. Will post pictures tomorrow. working for the postal shoot woo hoo. Thanks for all the good reading here. Again another mission accomplished due to Cast Boolits. Gotta get a squirt die still but the pocket book has to recover a bit. Will order one from Bryan soon. gotta be easier than weighing casted cores.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Master

Good to hear, a squirt die should help uniformity, but don't let the lack of one keep you from a little experimentation.
    you findings with out, and with core uniformer will be intersting to read.
    Im still waiting for a shipment from RCECO.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master
    Just got back from the range. Ran groups from 2900 to 3300 and had no issues. All groups were MOA or better. Best group would have been in the 1/4 inch range had I caught the switch. Here is the average group. Game on!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	59066 I know three does not prove much but this is a good start. Here they are prior to loading. I went bench rest prep on them. Click image for larger version. 

Views:	146 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	59069. Weighed and sorted so they worked out to 50.8 grains. Core was air cooled stickys dropped at 40.8 grains.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Master
    Sure could have tumbled em some more. But I was ready to shoot em. This has been an awesome learning experience. The best two groups had less than 20fps spread. Now I need to figure out BC and run em out there. Should get to 500 if they are asleep at 100. The way they are printing I think they are. Worst group was right at MOA.

Boolit Master
    Got them out to 500 today. Was able to hold .75 MOA despite the wind. Here is my last 3 shot 500 yd group. Input all my info into Ballistic AE. MV 3164 zero temp and current temp. I started at 200 and needed 1.75 MOA to 10 ring. Adjusted BC to 1.55 and started walking out. 300 drop was 5 MOA. 400 needed 10.25 MOA and 500 needed 17.75 to hit. Still need some fine tuning but It is there to 500 yds. Interesting note that at 500 the speed according to ballistic was way under super sonic yet the bullet had no stability issues through transonic and down. 500yds should have been 1006 fps. Swaged bullets from above post were used.Click image for larger version. 

Views:	56 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	59635

Boolit Master
    how much did the corbin dies set you back and what does it include? looking into getting to swaging for 224 for 223 and the 5.7x28

Boolit Master
    They are a little over 800. BT sniper has some ready to go I believe and his are around the same. Although I have never used BT snipers he comes highly recommended here. At the time he didn't have any available when I was looking for mine or I probably would have bought his. Seems steep but consider never having to buy .224 again this is only around 27 boxes of 100 at today's prices. The ability to customize your own weight is incredible. Another plus is not having to be dependent on what is available at the time. Right now that is huge! Never would have got into it had it not been for this incredible forum. Corbins set comes with adjustable core mould, de rim die, core seater, point forming die at 6s ogive, all punches, step by step DVD, and case lube. Wish it had a squirt die but I am getting by right now matching cores to jackets. It is next on my grocery list. I believe BT's set includes squirt die. If so it would make his a little less expensive.

Boolit Master
    that sounds sweet. if i wasn't sitting on so much 224 projectiles this or BTs dies would definitely be on my shopping list. if i could derim the case and seat the core. technically all is needed would be a mould, point forming die and punches?

Vendor Sponsor

kwiedner,

Check into my "secret to better bullet" thread. I discribe a process that will clean your bullets up and make them look better then new. It iwll get rid of that scale left over from the anneal process and quite possibly give you better accuracy on the target. Worth a try!

Good shooting and Swage On!

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Master
    Thanks BT. I did give it a read and have already started the process per those suggestions. I have 1000 de rimmed, cleaned and weight sorted to .1 grains. Made a couple extra steps but they already look much better. Didn't have ceramic or stainless but used corn cob and a little wax. They look new again and I haven't even seated anything in the batch. I am about to go cast some cores. My pot is heating as I type. That adjustable core mould is a pain. When I order my squirt die from you I am getting your mould too. I spend more time working on the current mould than casting with it. I think I got it working correctly now. Had to make some smaller adjustable bolts to fit under my spout. I don't ladle cast. Got it put back together this AM and am going to give it a go in about 15 minutes.

Boolit Master

Swaged my first .224 today with rimfire jackets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359831399.158589.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	60130

Thanks BT. Check em out!

Boolit Master
    Got out with my 22.250 today. Loading h380 was dealing with 11-12 mph winds but still had success. Here is 8 of the ten groups. 39.5 grains had the lowest ES and vertical. Crosswind caught me and blew probably the best group. Bottom right. ES was only 18. Might loa some up this PM and try another target for postal shoot. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359912726.824655.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	60232

Frosted Boolits

Very nice!! Can't wait for my die set to come in!! Thanks for sharing!
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

same here got my order in to BT also, Need to feed my new Black Rain and a Mini-14 I just picked up.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by kweidner View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359831399.158589.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	60130

Thanks BT. Check em out!
    THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! Looks great!

Good shooting and Swage On!

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/