Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wanted: Gun case opinions

Boolit Master

I've bought a couple of nice looking, sturdy old timey type sleeves from muzzleloaderbuilderssupply.com. Just put a new to me trapdoor in one of them.
    Down the bottom of this page (http://www.muzzleloaderbuilderssuppl...er&Cloth-Goods) are the pictures. A good deal, and nice people to deal with imho.
    Sam

Boolit Master
    Well, I haven't got a case just yet, but did manage to build a scope mount for it that does NOT modify the gun in any way at all. I just removed the rear sight and made a block to fit the rear sight base. I'm working out how to build a micro tool set that[screw driver, punch and a piece of solid brass for a hammer], along with the rear sight, will fit in the buttstock trap door. I loathe the chop, cut, rebuild cråp of old war horses. At least years ago, gunsmith's took pride in fit and finish. Now we live in a world of plastic crapola. SO, despite the goofy look of scout scope set up, I can shoot it easier, but put it back the right way in less than 15 minutes.

The 2x Nikon pistol scope will help my deteriorating eyes.

Boolit Master
    I had a similar issue with the Lehigh 50 cal muzzle loader I just finished. I wanted a "traditional" looking case and ones for sale commercially are $$$$$$. While nice I can't afford the cost. I saw several pictures of buffalo hunters and plains indians that had canvas or burlap covers on the single shots, especially when they were riding over long distances.

So I checked a local fabric store and bought 2 yards or natural colored soft burlap and same amount of a padding material. I laid out the fabric on the garage floor, doubled it over and then wrapped it over the gun. I pinned the edges and trimmed them to be sort of the shape of the gun. I then sewed the padding inside the two layers and then sewed the outside edge. I left the end open and it wraps around the butt of the stock. Cost about $30 for all. The hardest part was turning the case inside out so the sewing would not show, whew!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Most likely not what you have in mind.....

Here is a 1880's period Metis scabbard I made for my muzzle loaders some years ago.
    A couple of my Plains style scabbards, and a holster thrown in for good measure that I also made.
    Last edited by waksupi; 04-25-2012 at 07:48 PM.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12