Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: H&r bc 45-70

H&r bc 45-70

Went out last night with my new BC and some PP Lee 500 gr. Picture is of a target I shot at 50 yards after I put a Williams Fire Sight on the front. I'll shoot it this way until I can get a better rear sight. The combo that came on the rifle shot 6 inches low at 50. I just wanted to get on paper and run some loads over the chronograph. Both loads were note book paper sized .460. The upper left was 32 gr. of 2400 at 1690 fps. it had slightly stiff extraction. I dropped back to 30 for 1600 fps and shot two 3 inch groups. I liked the way the 32 gr of 2400 shot but it seemed a little warm. The lower group is 19.5 Unique 1355 fps. I'm looking forward to stretching it out a little now. But I got 5 buckets of WW to get smelted down into ingots today.

"Some times it's just better to smile an walk away."

"Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?"
    -Butch Cassidy & the Sun-dance Kid

wish I could get groups like that.....I got a long ways to go.....
    keep on rolling along.no matter what happens just keep rolling

For full power loads try a slower powder. Way slower. I get my best performance and accuracy from a powder that will give me 100% + load density. Works for me anyway.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Yep, for 500gr. boolits in the 45-70 within SAAMI pressure limits I like any of the 4350s. Just fill 'er up and seat a boolit on top. Very accurate and no pressure problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Yep, for 500gr. boolits in the 45-70 within SAAMI pressure limits I like any of the 4350s. Just fill 'er up and seat a boolit on top. Very accurate and no pressure problems.
    Is that a nice way to say I'm loading to hot for the powder I'm using?? It's old data from a book Dad handed down.

Banned

I think what he's telling you is that you might get better performance and less stomp with a nice, slow rifle powder that launches your PP boolit gently rather than smacks it in the pants like 2400 and Unique do.

I was going to recommend Reloder 7 or 3031. Somebody else will probably come along and swear by XMP 5744, but with the 500-grainers it always seemed too hot for the velocity. Reloder 7, wet-wrapped notebook paper, and either cereal filler, BPI, or Dacron have done me very well with that boolit, but now that Nobade mentioned it I might just try something even slower. You need to balance burn rate with the expansion ratio, case volume, and boolit weight in question.

Gear

I have RX 7 I shoot it in my Guide Gun. Been looking at my Lyman 49 and it says 35 to 40 gr. for the Trapdoor. Also have SR4759. The 32 gr. of 2400 did backup pretty hard.

Boolit Master

i use alot of wc872in my buffalo classic. for busting water jugs and targets out to 150yards. cant beat it does,nt kick that much , powder is cheap little dirty but o well.