Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Using a hand press in public.

Using a hand press in public.

Of course laws differ from place to place. But have any of you guys ever used a hand press in public? I would imagine you could get into some trouble priming and charging in a lot of public areas. But what about decapping/resizing, belling, trimming, primer pocket cleaning, etc? I was told it was illegal to do so where I live. I'm not really qualified to say for the state of Virginia. But if it is illegal to prep cases in public I would be curious to know what law I was breaking. I am not looking for permission on here. If I felt I really needed to know I would contact a local authority. But I would like to hear from anyone else who happens to have thought about it. Or maybe would have a story about it.

Banned

They might frown on it if you were prepping brass in an airport terminal

That's a strange question, never thought about it before. I prefer the privacy of my locked reloading room so as to avoid distractions. The most "public" reloading I've done is on the shooting bench at a public range.

Gear

Yeah an airport terminal is probably the worst place I can think of to do it. I did it at a bowling alley. It's something to do between turns during league play. But the manager said even bringing empty casings inside was illegal. I respect him enough to refrain from doing it whether it is legal or not. If he doesn't want me to do it I won't. But I'm not sure if I think he is correct about that. I bought my hand press because I read that you couldn't load .223s with a hand press. Since reading that post I have found that YES you can! And I plan on continuing to use it in other public places as well. I am on the road a lot. So if I have some time to re-size some casings while sitting in my truck at lunch time I'm going to do it.

Boolit Master

I have never heard of such a law in Virginia.
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

I think he believes it is considered brandishing.

Boolit Master

mrjog,

I think he, like many anti-gunners are at heart cowards and are just plain afraid of most things in life.

I could be wrong, I'm not an attoney and didn't even sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.

I would never do something like that in Seattle, the yuppies would freak out. Probably get arrested for causing a riot. However in saner parts of the country I wouldn't hesitate.

Welcome to the forum by the way you're in deep trouble now!

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Thanks cat. I've been reading Cast Boolits for a while. I was just slow to sign up. And yes you are right about the people. Someone had complained about it. And others now want me to reload for them. I prefer to just get along. Although it was really good while it lasted. Which was about two hours.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I would want to see that in writing.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I might dig further into it. But I'm going to leave it alone at the alley. It isn't worth making any enemys over. Ill post something concrete later.

Only thing maybe to consider when researching the books, would be maybe an association of alcoholic beverages with firearms/ammunition. Does the bowling alley have a liquor license or sell alcohol?

In SD, one cannot bring a firearm, even with a CCW, into any establishment that sells alcohol for consuming on the premises.

But In SD, we have no such laws on reloading components in public.

I will keep that in mind. The alley does have a full bar.

Boolit Man

Being that you were in a bowling alley (read private property) you are subject to the whims of the owner/management. However, a law against reloading in public is unlikely. Your best bet is to do the decapping/resizing, belling, trimming, primer pocket cleaning in public and do the priming, powder charges and seating at home.

Banned

Booze sales came to my mind also, I don't think many people would bowl anymore if they couldn't keep a full pitcher on their table. I seriously doubt the law has any writ about inert components or even loaded ammunition itself, provided no means of firing it is present. You don't want to be #1 on a case-law search though! In Texas, even carrying the wrong knife into an establishment that has the 51% sign posted is up to ten years in the pokey.

Gear

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    That's a strange question, never thought about it before. I prefer the privacy of my locked reloading room so as to avoid distractions. The most "public" reloading I've done is on the shooting bench at a public range.
    Gear
    Me too...I'm easily distracted.

But with that said, I could see doing case prep in public.
    once I have my stuff setup, it's foolproof for the most part.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Bub
    "Excuse me, Sir, do you have a place I can plug in my tumbler?"
    My alloy is so proprietary even I don't know what's in it...

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Booze sales came to my mind also, I don't think many people would bowl anymore if they couldn't keep a full pitcher on their table. I seriously doubt the law has any writ about inert components or even loaded ammunition itself, provided no means of firing it is present. You don't want to be #1 on a case-law search though! In Texas, even carrying the wrong knife into an establishment that has the 51% sign posted is up to ten years in the pokey.Gear

Gear, sorry to say that I am from California, (shakes head slowly), we have lots of crazy laws as I am sure everyone knows. I have never heard of the 51% sign you mention. Care to elaborate?

Gabe

Banned

I was a lineman for 30 years. My office was my truck for most of the day. I carried a lee handpress along and would size brass at lunch time. My boss wasnt a hunter or shooter and tended to take offense to me anyway and told me it had to stop because it wasnt proper out in public. I was at a meeting a while later that had the big shots for our company there and i stood up a made my case in front of about a 100 guys. thing is our president is a hunter and loves guns. He told my boss in no uncertain terms that as long as i wasnt doing it on the companys time he saw absoultely nothing wrong with it and that he should spend more time worrying about production then he spend worrying about silly things like this.

Talking

Thats awesome Lloyd. It's nice to win every once and a while.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    I was a lineman for 30 years. My office was my truck for most of the day. I carried a lee handpress along and would size brass at lunch time. My boss wasnt a hunter or shooter and tended to take offense to me anyway and told me it had to stop because it wasnt proper out in public. I was at a meeting a while later that had the big shots for our company there and i stood up a made my case in front of about a 100 guys. thing is our president is a hunter and loves guns. He told my boss in no uncertain terms that as long as i wasnt doing it on the companys time he saw absoultely nothing wrong with it and that he should spend more time worrying about production then he spend worrying about silly things like this.
    I just love a happy ending!

Froggie

I have sent an email to the Virginia state police to try and get the scoop. I doubt I will hear back from them soon. But at least the wheels are in motion.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast