Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 29 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: reloadable .32 rimfire brass

reloadable .32 rimfire brass

I got some of those machined cases for .32 rimfire from Dixie Gun Works. They take an offset .22 rimfire blank as the primer. The blank slips in place snuggly but with no resistance, unlike when seating a primer in a centerfire case where some force is needed. DGW says to use a lead round ball and some black powder. I'll be shooting it in an antique Marlin revolver. I'm wondering if anyone here has tried them out. I am a bit concerned about leakage of gas around the perimeter of the .22 blank's base.

Boolit Master
    wow this is amazing, show us a close up of the head on the case

Boolit Master
    I've used them, and I didn't have any problems with gas leakage. I found that the blanks were harder to remove than to put in place. I assume that they expanded some, helping prevent gas blow-back.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

I have never seen this before. Very COOL!
    Life's hard, even harder if your stupid.

Thanks NoZombies, it's nice to get some reassurance.

Odfairfaxsub, my camera is no good for macros, but the blank's base is about 4-5 thou proud. Apparently I'm getting zero headspace in my revolver, it's a tight gun. The projectile is 30 cal Hornady buckshot. I expect if I press it in a bit it will effectively flatten to .31, what DGW recommends, and be something of a heeled boolit as well. Might even try Crisco over the mouth of the charge holes. I'll have to anneal the cases first.

Boolit Master
    Hello, Dixie gun works has been selling the .44 Henry & .56 Spencer .22 adapter cases for years. In the Single Shot Exchange magazine, one fellow is even making .25 rimfire adapter ctgs. to get those old rifles talking again!

Boolit Mold
    or you could try this.

http://32rimfire.blogspot.ca/

Hope it's ok to resurect this thread...
    I am thinking of ordering these as well, for a Stevens Favorite 1894 .32 long. Rather than black powder, since I don't plan on loading and shooting many of these and have no other use for black powder, I was wondering if anyone could tell me why IMR TrailBoss would not be an option. That, at least, I can use in some low power centerfire rounds. Planning on using Flobert style 22/6mm crimp blanks for ignition.
    As well as Dixie gunworks, the necessary components can be found here: http://www.hc-collection.com/PBSCCat...TName=.32%20RF
    The 11.00 trial pack converts to about 14.00 US dollars. I contacted them and was quoted about 10.00 shipping for several of the trial packs. The primers must be purchased stateside, however.
    But again, has anyone handloaded these, and what are your thoughts on using TrailBoss?
    Thanks
    "One cannot legislate the maniacs off the street ... these maniacs can only be shut down by an armed citizenry. Indeed bad things can happen in nations where the citizenry is armed, but not as bad as those which seem to be threatening our disarmed citizenry in this country at this time."

Boolit Master
    I have used trail boss with the conversion cartridges. I won't share my exact load, because every batch of brass has a different capacity, and the load that is fine in my brass might be a compressed load in yours.

So I would recommend starting by loading the case to about 70% capacity with the trailboss, and going from there. don't compress the load.

Good luck, and feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

tomsp8,
    Welcome to the forum. I have used Trail Boss in the .32 Long Colt center fire in my 1892 Marlin. 2.5 grs filled most of the case capacity and produced velocity spreads of over 150 f.p.s.(!) Avg velocity was a little over 800 f.p.s. and accuracy was so so. By comparison, 2.5 /231worked much better, producing good accuracy and produced velocities equivalent to the standard cartridge (1060 f.p.s.).

That was my experience with Trail Boss in my rifle. Perhaps the minimal bullet pull produced by the heel bullet did not work in its favor.

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

I have never seen anything like this before either. This is very informative and has me poking around for more information.
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ZmanWakeForest

A good parent prepares the child for the path, not the path for the child.

Boolit Buddy

Can you provide the Dixie part number?

Boolit Master

Boolit Buddy

Many thanks!

Boolit Master
    Re: Trail Boss Powder use. Hodgdon says that the starting charge should be about 70 percent of the case volume minus the amount taken up by the bullet base intrusion into the case (Net Case volume). Maximum charge should not Exceed the the amount that occupies the Net Case volume, and in no case is it to be compressed in the load.

They also say that the best accuracy is found usually at less than maximum charge.

As the conversion cases and the blanks inserted can have variable remaining Net Case Volume, it would be a good idea to either measure all your cases with a blank inserted or stay down near the starting load charge.

As to using other Powders, be careful of the Maximum average pressure limit and your Firearm's actual strength.

Enjoy these older guns Safely.
    Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Here is a link to a Blog on using .32 Long colt cases to make adapters to fire .27 Caliber Powder Tool Loads in antique revolvers and multiple barrel pistols. The Blogger include photos and at the end, a video of him firing one of his pistols at a firing range.

http://32rimfire.blogspot.ca/

Best Regrads,
    Chev. William

After reading this post I turned some cases from brass rod and drilled them to accept the .27 cal. Power loads. The rim recess for my .32 Long Stevens favorite measures 0.050" and the rim on the Power loads is the same. I turned the rim on my cases to 0.015 at first and then to 0.010 but I still was not able to close the action on the cases. I am thinking of trying an offset recess for .22 cal. load, but that will require indexing the cases, which I was hoping to not have to deal with. If I can get a working case, I am going to make a healed bullet mold to finish the rounds.

Chuck

Boolit Master
    Chuck Is,
    Measure the rim recess in your Stevens Favorite Barrel after Thorough Cleaning.
    Sometimes the rim recess gathers 'crud' that reduces its depth and diameter slightly.
    Once you know the actual depth and diameter of your recess you should be able to calculate what the total acceptable rim thickness and diameter it will accept.
    Also does your action close on an 'empty' machined case that has not yet had the rim reduced in thickness?
    I know Some .32 Long Colt Cases I have fit flush with the breech end of my Stevens Favorite .32 Long RF Barrel's chamber. I would think that your machined brass substitutes should fit a cleaned chamber properly before you reduce the rim thickness to take a Rim Fire blank. Also, are you using .22", 25", or 27" body diameter blanks (which body size)?

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 11-09-2014 at 09:26 PM.

Boolit Master

RE: Trail Boss.

I shoot .32 Long Colt in my #4 Remington rolling block converted from rimfire. I use the Lyman 299153 bullet and .32 S&W Long cases that I convert to .32 LC, but are shortened to .775". The cases capacity of Trail Boss minus the depth of the heel is 2.5gr. I just loaded a few rounds last night with 2.0gr, about 80% of the full capacity. Previously I tried 2.0gr of TB in the .32 short colt case and it was quite mild. But the best accuaracy I've obtained so far was with 4.5gr of 2400 and the Lyman 299153 bullet. This is a very comfortable load and deadly accurate at 50 yards.

I measured the recess after thoroughly cleaning it out and then measuring with a Mititoyo digital caliper. The turned shells fit the chamber well as I turned them to the diameters shown in "Cartridges of the World". The .27 cal. blank in my case measured about 0.010 proud of the barrel face, which is the thickness of my rim. I don't think I can go less than 0.010 and get reliable extraction. My Favorite is tight as I just fit the action with oversized pins to take up all the slop. I am in the process of making a .22 rimfire barrel and breach block, but I thought it would be nice to be able to shoot the .32 Longs with a fast switch. Like I said, I am going to try offsetting the hole and using a .22 blank, but will have to get another project out of the lathe before I start that.

Chuck

Chuck

Page 1 of 29 1234567891011 ... LastLast