Help me with K31 cast loads please

Well, I'm looking for some help y'all.

I would like to shoot cast bullets out of my K31 for a few reasons
    1. less wear and tear on the rifle and brass
    2. would like to shoot more! (cheaper) <---- biggest reason
    3. less recoil

My only requirement:
    1. Hold the 10 ring at 100 yards

I tried the CE Harris load with a no GC bullet and got leading right away. So I shelved the idea for awhile. Retry with GC bullet?

If you have a load that works great for you or a recommendation please reply below with the information and all the details!

Thanks a bunch,
    Bill

edit: what I really need some knowledge on is fillers. Are they necessary? What material is best? How much?

I ask because I came across this load:
    http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/u...1/P1010662.jpg
    I copied it exactly (even purchased the same bullets from this gentlemen) EXCEPT I used no filler (he used 1 grain of dacron). All I could do was hit the paper.....no groups to speak of.
    Last edited by new2cast; 03-13-2012 at 07:25 PM.

Have you completely cleaned the copper fouling from that barrel? Lead loves to bond to copper. It took me a couple of weeks and umpteen daily (sometimes twice daily) applications of Hoppes' Benchrest, with up to 24 hour soak times, but my K31 finally stopped giving me green patches.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Have you completely cleaned the copper fouling from that barrel? Lead loves to bond to copper. It took me a couple of weeks and umpteen daily (sometimes twice daily) applications of Hoppes' Benchrest, with up to 24 hour soak times, but my K31 finally stopped giving me green patches.
    Actually I scrubbed the bore with Sweets 7.62 today.

I don't have the K31 any more, but when I did it shot awesome with the Lee C-312-155-2R made for the 7.62x39. I water dropped them to harden, and immediately sized and gaschecked them to .309". Loaded over enough IMR 4895 to get to 2000 fps, it shot as good as I could see back then, around an inch at 100 yards. Clean bore, no leading, no problems. The little Lee boolit has a pointy nose and works perfectly with the K31's short tight throat. I used to make cases from 284 Win brass, but I understand you can get properly made brass now.

Boolit Master
    Each gun, and the load and boolit it likes best is unique, so what works for me may not (almost never) work for you.

Use .308 Winchester cast loads found in Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook or their Reloading Handbook. As you might expect, there's many to choose from. Start low.

K31

I`ve had good results with both of the RCBS Silhouette boolits. Their undersize noses fit my 50`s vintage K31 like they were made for it.

Regards,

Scott

Boolit Bub
    Im not necessarily asking for exact loads to copy guys. If you know of someone who sells a particular bullet that you've had luck with let me know!

Boolit Bub
    As mentioned above, the K31 throat limits for the length of the bullet you can load. I used a throat reamer to slightly open up the throat for larger/longer bullets with good results. Keeping the bullet from going past the neck/shoulder area is needed. I don't use gas checks and load under 1600. I had good luck with 16 grains of 2400 and 200 grain bullet. I shoot the 96/11 and K11's, which allow for any type of bullet. A standard .308 bullet is already oversize for the bore in a normal swiss rifle.

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    How fast do you want to go?

Low recoil, moderate velocity 21-22gr AA5744 F210 primers and Saeco #315 sized .311" lube in bottome 2-3 bands only

faster, more recoil Lyman 311644 sized .311" 29-30gr H322 F210 primers

both loads boolits seated out to engage so closing last 1/16" is tight

You may need to adjust the diameter down a bit, but the .311" works in my rifles (3)

I've shot both loads to at least 500m, so I KNOW accuracy is maintained.

Boolit Master

I've had good success with both the Lee 155-grainer (sized .310)/AA2015 and the Lee 309-200-1R (also sized .310)/H4895 in both my pre-war K-31 and my SR 96/11. Either will produce sub-2" groups @ 100M (if I do my part) using original military sights.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master

I had good results with 311413 over 16.0 2400 in my K31.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by new2cast View Post
    Actually I scrubbed the bore with Sweets 7.62 today.
    Leave it wet with Hoppes #9 for 24 hours, then push a dry patch thru. Bet you'll see green. It takes a long time to get all that copper residue out by chemical methods. Except the 20% ammonia method, which is hard on the steel.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Bub
    So I have my eye on a few boolits from a few different companies
    311334:
    http://gardnerscache.com/30_195_spt_g_c.html
    311413:
    http://www.moultonlead.com/products.html
    http://www.montanabulletworks.com/308_Rifle.html

Can I use regular jacketed rifle powders like 3031, 4895, VARGET, 4350? Or pistol powders? Fill or no fill? SO MANY CHOICES UGH haha

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    I use 16.8 grains of 2400 pushed by Large Magnum primers with the NOE 200 grain spitzer bullet. It gives me outstanding 200 yard groups.

I have yet to chronograph this load. Funny thing is, I have a brand new chronograph new in the box that I've never used. Guess I'll have to blow the dust off of it and see what velocity I'm getting from this particular load.

HollowPoint

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Hollow, I think I'm going to take your advice (and CE Harris') and use Herc 2400 with any of the above bullets I listed.

What rifle did you use those loads in?

Boolit Master
    I have a K31 wearing an 8x32x40 BSA variable scope. I had to make some scope mounts for it
    in order to use a scope at all.

The aftermarket mounts available online (the ones that fit off-center to the right of the receiver) just didn't work out well for me.

My eye sight is such that there's no way I could have gotten accuracy with the factory iron sights.

HollowPoint

Quote Originally Posted by new2cast View Post
    So I have my eye on a few boolits from a few different companies
    311334:
    http://gardnerscache.com/30_195_spt_g_c.html
    311413:
    http://www.moultonlead.com/products.html
    http://www.montanabulletworks.com/308_Rifle.html

Can I use regular jacketed rifle powders like 3031, 4895, VARGET, 4350? Or pistol powders? Fill or no fill? SO MANY CHOICES UGH haha
    New2cast, if you chose to go with the 311413, keep the speed down to around 1400fps for best results. All of the jacketed powders you have listed can be used for boolits. Data can be found on castpics, if there's not much on the 7.5x55, its capacity is nigh the same as the 30-06, so those loads, worked up, should work for you. If you've thought of casting your own, NOE has a mold for the K31 in stock. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...86#post1121686
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by HollowPoint View Post
    I have a K31 wearing an 8x32x40 BSA variable scope. I had to make some scope mounts for it
    in order to use a scope at all.

The aftermarket mounts available online (the ones that fit off-center to the right of the receiver) just didn't work out well for me.

My eye sight is such that there's no way I could have gotten accuracy with the factory iron sights.

HollowPoint
    I would very much like to see how you went about your mount. I too cannot abide the clamp-on, and I have an externally inelegant K31 which I am not at all averse to drilling. Photos?
    Cognitive Dissident

I have had great results with the NOE 247 grain .311 whisper bullet (plain base) and 12.5 grain of Trailboss. I just tumble lube the bullets in a JPW/Alox mix and load them up with Large Pistol primers.

It will shoot just around an inch at 100 yards on a scoped K31. It is a light load and won't beat up your shoulder either. No leading whatsoever.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    I would very much like to see how you went about your mount. I too cannot abide the clamp-on, and I have an externally inelegant K31 which I am not at all averse to drilling. Photos?
    At the risk of seeming to hijack this thread, I thought I'd just post the location of the particular post where I included pics of my K31.

That will leave the OP's original inquiry intact.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...25#post1453025

Most of the information you asked about can be found there. You can PM me if you have any other questions.

HollowPoint