RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision

View Poll Results: How many rounds to you shoot each year?

Voters
542. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-999

64 11.81%
  • 1000-4999

279 51.48%
  • 5000-9999

125 23.06%
  • 10000-19999

59 10.89%
  • 20K+

15 2.77%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: How Much Do You Shoot?

Boolit Buddy
    Over 5k since I retired. If it runs on gunpowder or gasoline I'm probably right in the middle of things. I'm going to increase my time at the bench. I loaded 850rnds of 45acp last week. Just bought 1k IMI 223 empties so I can stay busy for a while prepping those pesky military cases. By the way I researched IMI and all their brass made before '90 was manufactured by Lapua. In 1990 Lapua sent a team to Israel and designed/set up Israeli Military Industries ammunition plant. Lucky me, the ones I bought are pre '90.
    GO WVU MOUNTAINEERS!--Hey, our mascot carries a muzzleloader.
    ---------------------------------
    Professional Critter Chaser
    ---------------------------------
    I love wildlife, it tastes great!

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot alot of pistol matches with my 9mm and 22's I also enjoy my SP alot also not to mention my 44,38,and 357

Thanks to a hideous work/travel schedule. I can manage less than 1.000 rounds per year . I settle for in house "Tinkering" projects reloading and Home Gunsmithing. Waiting (not so patiently for the schedule to slow down.

I answered in the <4999 category to be conservative. I've loaded more rounds than that in the last year but haven't kept pace with the shooting. I've found loading and casting to be *almost* as fulfilling. When I was shooting USPSA/IPSC years ago I'd shoot 30,000 rounds in a year and never flinch, except when it came time to buy all the components to keep going. I'm content to be off that pace, but I could really stand to shoot more than I currently do.

mike
    I saw this in a cartoon once. I'm pretty sure I can pull it off...

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    Hi my name is Mal

I have a 12K per year habit.............well maybe a bit more. 99.9% Revolver / My own cast.

Don't know why I came to this meeting, I can stop anytime.

Nevermind.
    Thats hilarious
    "If you have a nick-nack with a nick in it we'll knock the nick out of your nack with Brighto!" -Larry Fine

Casting on dry land...

Boolit Buddy
    just guessing about 3500 to 4500 rounds last year not counting 22lr.
    I can say that I have sent less than 50 j-words down range, the rest have been home cast and reloaded.

kinda proud of that

Last year I went through 3000+ .40 cal(40S&W,400 CorBon,40Super),another 3000 .45 cal and 2500 of 9mm with both .357Sig and 9mm Luger & 1000ish .38Special.

This year I have to cast my own to afford it again.
    sent via hammer and chisel

need oversized powder funnels , PTX's or expanders ? just ask, I make 'em for most brands plus my own styles.

Is this just cast boolits, does it include hunting because a P-dog hunt for a week I might go thru 3-4K of jacketed boolits.

Wow, many of you guys shoot more in a year than I did in my life!

I find that with returning to active shooting that it is a pain to get set up. Many local clubs are not accepting new members, Component supply, choice, and price suck. To start I bought a modest rifle collection that I thought would be fun. My old 444. a 32-20 lever, a Lee Enfield 303, and a 32 Winchester Special. There are many days I wish it was 223, 308, and 30-30.

I am stubborn enough to see this through but now understand why our activity is slowly reducing in numbers here in Canada.

I voted under a 1000 but my goal is to be up around a 1000 per rifle not counting the 22s soon.

It should pick up again now that the screwy registration/limitation/overcontrolling/ and down right wrong firearm law is gone now up there in Canada.
    If I heard that right.
    sent via hammer and chisel

need oversized powder funnels , PTX's or expanders ? just ask, I make 'em for most brands plus my own styles.

40S.. the long gun registry is just about officially gone. We will no longer be required to register rifles and shotguns. Our PAL, the permit to own and acquire, is still required. Its kinda like a federal drivers licence for buying guns and ammo.

Handguns and many black rifle and shotgun styles remain restricted and require registration and strict control on their use. We are better than most Euro countries but firmly controlled compared to most American jurisdictions.

It is refreshing to have a major gun control reg rolled back. It hasn't happened ever here. Now my hunting guns are easier to legally transport and use. Farmers and trapers still vote here and this was much appreciated. I dread the day that they try and disarm us.

It angers me that I cannot own an FN FAL as a memory of my Artillery days. I consciosly volunteered to carry one to certain death for my country if asked. Now I'm a criminal if I own one!

Quote Originally Posted by Chamfered View Post
    saz says "But the best year I had was 13,200 rounds of 105mm- in afghanistan.... "
    Too cool.... and the best part is the price.
    I too miss the old 105. I was qualified on the 155 but my battery was a close support howitzer battery. One of my fondest Artillery memories was a joint shot with the US Army and Armoured folks in Yakima Washington. Our equipment was ancient in comparison but we sure had a fun time. Except for that soda pop they kept calling beer!

13,200 rounds. Gives me a nose bleed thinking about it. One thing about the 105, your never far from the action. These remote piloted drones and GPS guided missiles are changing things. Still, it was terrifying watching a battery rain steel on a position when the crews are dialed and working hard.

Thanks for your service, much appreciated.

Boolit Buddy
    Not sure exactly how many rounds maybe 3000 through my muzzleloaders and just over a 1500 in black powder cartridge rifle. Comes to about 25 or 30 pounds of black powder per year. Then 4 or 5k 45 acp and maybe 1000 various other things

I shoot a lot 10,000 to 15,000 a year all cast I shoot falling steel plates and bowling pins and hunt. I try To go to the range every day

Boolit Mold
    Probably less than a thou. last year, but since I've started casting, that number is going up quick. I currently only cast for 222, LOTS of load developement & a huge learning curve. Should have started with something bigger I guess, oh well, I'll get it worked out.

Boolit Master

well my son was just born a few days ago. i thought i was going to get more range time this year, looks like that will put a damper on it a bit. well worth it though ; )

he was about a day old when i started to explain the basics of reloading, die set up etc. i think he'll be hooked in no time!

once things settle down i'll just try to double down on my range time thats all

Boolit Master

Congrats on the son and also on getting him started early.
    God Bless, Whisler

Boolit Master

thanks! i have a 3 year old daughter that is well on her way to being a shooter. can't wait!

Boolit Bub
    I picked <4999 but didn't consider the times I take my kids and grand kids shooting. We have burned thru 1500 22lr and 2 or 3 hundred .223 and at least a few hundred 45acp and 9mm in a single outing. I burned 100 9mm just today to check to see if my new load would lead a barrel. I am just getting started casting but I think my shooting volume is about to go way way higher.
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.
    Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    NOT NEARLY ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigboreShooter

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast