Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

View Poll Results: How many rounds to you shoot each year?

Voters
542. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-999

64 11.81%
  • 1000-4999

279 51.48%
  • 5000-9999

125 23.06%
  • 10000-19999

59 10.89%
  • 20K+

15 2.77%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: How Much Do You Shoot?

I picked up a Gen 4 Glock 21 last week and I decided to do something that I was always curious about. I'm keeping a log of how many rounds I shoot out of the pistol. I shoot exclusively reloads and mostly cast bullets. I was kind of surprised to see I already have 500 rounds out of the gun in a week.

Now that I'm retired I've been shooting about 3 to 4 times a week in my back yard range. Which is a little more than I shot when I was still working as a street cop in one of America's most dangerous cities. I shoot a lot of 45, 223 and 12 gauge. I'm guessing I shoot close to 20,000 a year. I would have never thought that. I do know I buy a lot of primers!

Boolit Grand Master

Never enough to suit me. Having the range 35 mi away is a major hinderance to being able to shoot more often.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Mold
    I just about hit the 1000 to 4999, then I realized that I purchase 3000 rounds of .22 a year. I stockpile some but shoot at least 2000 a year. And that pushed me over the top. I shoot most of those in 9mm and 45acp, and .223. I would say 2000 combined. After that the .44special and .38special are the most common. I would say 1000 of those combined. Bolt guns are probably less that 500 a year. and the same in 12ga.

Boolit Master

what a big mix. i assume a lot of you guys are shooting cast because you're on this forum, or you plan to do so soon.

its nice to see that casting is fast and efficient enough for the high volume USPSA types yet can be accurate enough for the lower volume rifle match guys and just about any other firearms discipline

i love the fact that this runs from one end of the spectrum to the other with great benefits from end to end.

I shoot a lot of 25-20 in my Marlin. Add a bunch of .22lr and throw in the battle rifles and I think I should have clicked on the 5k-9999 instead.

Wayne
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant

I would definitely shoot more if I didn't have to drive an hour to do so.

I pity/envy you folks that get to shoot in your backyard.

Been shooting alot more .22 air rifle lately into a pellet trap. Was I supposed to count that?

Boolit Bub
    saz says "But the best year I had was 13,200 rounds of 105mm- in afghanistan.... "
    Too cool.... and the best part is the price.

Boolit Master
    Roughly 10k per year.

Most of my shooting for the last few years has been steel competitions with my xd pistol(I have probably 30k through this gun since 2005). I run through an average of 400 rounds of 9mm per match (competition and practice rounds afterward) and we have matches on the 1st, 3rd, and 5th Sundays. I have skipped a few matches lately though. I use my other guns for range fun after the match and once in a rare while I take the other guns out for a half day of plinking. I try to spend a day shooting skeet at least every other month. My newest toy is a Smith 460 and now I am starting to cast again.

No I don't have a problem either.....Really....Well, maybe...I am just going to blame it on the Castboolits forum. I have an old RCBS mold, with lots of splinters scattered around it, sitting next to my lead pot right not. The bullets looked nice and although shaped more oval than round, will probably shoot OK for light loads.

I am just getting back into casting (only did it a little bit as a teen) and I am ordering an MP mold for my 460. I could buy a lee, but you guys had to run your mouths about the high end molds. And those guys that made youtube videos of how slick the MP molds work-what were they thinking. I planned to cast to save money on ammo for the hand cannon, and now I am spending big bucks on a top of the line mold for a plinking gun. Oh well.......I love good tools anyway.

The last few years I have averaged a bit over 10k/year, with most of that coming in early spring and summer. A majority of my shooting is pistol and .22. I don't have an easily accessible area to shoot rifle as much as I'd like.

To ask that question another way - How much do you shoot?
    My answer would be, "not enough".

If you count rimfire, probably around 1000 rounds a year, maybe more. 2011 was an all time high for me because I joined a private club, but 2012 has been somewhat slow.

Boolit Master
    15k+ per year. 99.9% cast. I load during the week and shoot suring the weekend. I am casting for 45, 10/40, 9, 38/357, 380.

Yep, burning lots of primers.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    scrap, smelt, cast, lube, load, shoot. repeat.

We're missing an option on the poll...

"Only a small fraction of what I would if I had it MY way..."
    That's my official vote.
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

Boolit Master

yeah i think next time i do a poll i'll add in some quirky but true choices.

i was just loading some .45 acp grinning from ear to ear knowing that i smelted the lead cast the boolits and loaded my own ammo. thats a pretty cool thing.

its nice that we're able to do that and provide ourselves with tons of ammo. being self sufficient is something to be proud of.
    nice job team

Boolit Master
    did I have to count 22 rimfire?
    Bump me up to the 10K+ crowd.

Rich

Boolit Master
    Not enought lately..........a recent move and a new job has taken its toll on my lead flinging fulfillment.

Boolit Master
    i have to drive 120 miles one way to shoot, i shoot around 7 k a year or so. that includes 22's and whatever anybody else will let me shoot. seems that i shoot more 12 ga shells since my blind father in law got into 870s' haha

Boolit Master

Mostly 22 for me, as reloading components are more expensive now,being unemployed after working for the same place for 20 years didn't help too! Priorities changed drastically!!

I shoot about two boxes a week in my 1911 in an indoor range and once a month we take the muzzleloaders and AR-15's to the ranch and hunt hogs. Those weekends we probably shoot between 25 and fifty .50 cal blackpowder boolits and two hundred .223's in the AR's.
    :“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
    ― Albert Einstein

I'm good for 12K+ for rifle, 6K+ for hand gun, and 6K+ of .22rf if you want to count those too.

Nora
    If you don't have the time to do it right, when are you going to find the time to fix it?

Banned

it changes year to year.
    for a while i was registering 15k a year plus practice.
    and then shooting other stuff for fun.
    primers were under 50.00 for 5k then, i was buying shot by the ton and you could buy powder in 12 up through 50 lb kegs.
    three years ago i went through 24 lbs of 4895 in a two month period shooting cast,i also went through 1200 lbs of lead that year.
    last year it aa-2230 that got used the most 24 lbs of that, 8 lbs of 4895, 4 lbs of herco, 4 lbs of unique, 2 lbs of aa-1680, and over 3 lbs of 800-x.
    some h-322 and almost 8 lbs of 2400 went out the bbl's. plus some other stuff like 4227,4756,h-110,4350,rl-19,and 4831 went down range too.
    i was on the filling end of it all, not so much the emptying as in the past...
    this year, so far, i have been doing pretty good about 150-200 rounds a week. so i'm on pace for about 5k this year.
    the rest of the family will get in about 2-5k each also. so it looks like about 17k rounds this year at this rate.
    no wonder i spend so much time in the garage and gun room.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast