RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: 9mm mold

Boolit Master

9mm mold

I've been using the Lee 124g [drops 130g] tumble lube boolit with with pretty nice results. I want to move to a heavier boolit. I want a 147g plain base boolit.

Anyone cast heavy weight boolits for 9mm? I was going to try my 158g RN that I use for .38's but the tech guy at Accurate Arms advises that there will insufficient room in the case, plus I put a dummy round together and it won't work. The base of the boolit gets sized down from the taper of the inside of the case. Lyman makes a bevel base but I don't want a bevel based boolit. They don't pan lube very well.
    Lee makes a 150g .358 that could be sized back with ease.

Just fishing before I spend money, I'd appreciate some suggestions if anyone has the time.

Boolit Master
    Does anyone have this design from Accurate Molds? There's three different designs there for a 147g boolit, but this one looks like it would suit me best. It'd be nice to know if anyone has one and could share their results.

I use commercial 147 BB boolits with 3.6 grains unique in my wifes M&P.2 inch groups at 25 yards.They look like the boolit above but with BB.Like BB in 9mm so I can use as little bell as possible with the tapered case.Would cast my own but 9mm commercial boolits are cheap so use my time casting more expensive boolits.

Boolit Master
    I like Unique too. I kinda need a plain base though as pan lubing with a bevel base doesn't work.

What kind of commercial boolit is it?

They are called naked bullets.They are the same as laser cast 147 I think.Most commercial loaders use molds from Magma Engineering.BB boolits work easier in their lubers.The mold you have pictured looks like it would work well.I wouldn't use a BB design in my lubrisizer,lube would squirt around the base.

Boolit Master
    I just got a 147gr BB mold from Miha, one of the overrun molds, it's superb.

Not plain base but he said he could cut the bevel away and it'd be a 140gr plain base mold, close enough perhaps?

Also a bit OT but I heard star sizers can be made to work just fine with BB molds?

Boolit Mold
    before i got frustrated and bought a .38 spl and a mold and dies for it, i was experimenting with 124g RN from hunters supply and the lee TL 356-124 cast with range scrap in my P95DC. i always thought the 124 was too light. i plan to try out the lee TL .358 158g SWC i just got with some AA7 or blue dot, once i feel like talking to my 9mm again.

Boolit Buddy
    Does any of the custom mould makers make a round nose 9mm mould. 125-147gr?

NOE / Miha etc etc?

Boolit Master
    NOE makes a 125gr design and Miha has a 140PB and 147BB mold. Not sure if any of them has any overruns in stock, have to ask.

Boolit Master

I got ahold of an old SAECO #383. That's a 140 gr SWC, but feeds like a long nose TC. Shoots real fine in my SR9c.

Banned

stars shoot the lube in the groove so no problems with a bevel base.
    a custom mold maker will make any nose shape you want,

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Mike Golf View Post
    I got ahold of an old SAECO #383. That's a 140 gr SWC, but feeds like a long nose TC. Shoots real fine in my SR9c.
    I have a 383 too. That's one of those moulds I always saw in the catalog every year and thought it looked interesting. It also looked like it had too much nose and oal for the bearing surface, and might not shoot very well because of it. Since I thought someone must have tried it but I had seen no mention of it anywhere, I thought something must keep it from performing well.
    Saeco moulds cost too much to try without knowing, and not having others' experiences to go on one way or another, I didn't stick my neck out.

Then when I had the chance to buy a used two-cav cheap, I did.
    It shoots great!
    It might even be the most accurate bullet I've tried in the 9mm overall. I used it for IDPA last year in a Browning HiPower loaded with Herco. I like it there, since it shoots well, makes a nice clean hole in the targets, and whacks the steel about as well as a 9mm can.

I sure wish I had a four (or more) cavity.

It functions just fine in everything I've tried also, but when the BHP gets really dirty I can feel it cycling pretty sluggish.

I need to give it a go in .38 Super.