Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ballistic Coeffecient of a ramrod?

Ballistic Coeffecient of a ramrod?

Anyone know how to figure the ballistic coeffecient of a wooden ramrod? I reckon if I knew the BC, I might be able to determine where the ramrod went after I forgot to remove it from my TC Hawken. Looked all over and never found it, but I DID manage to find half of another ramrod (made of fiberglass), so at least I know I am not the only moron to make this mistake. I don't mind having to make a new ramrod, but I sure wish I could find the fittings. At least the gun shot well.

Don't know but it must be high considering the range you can get from one.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Moderator Emeritus

heres a thought, paint one bright pink and fire it. You should be able to find it pretty easily
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Master
    It is probably like an arrow. Lying flat just under the grass but not really in the dirt. Take a shovel or an edging spade and walk a straight line between your firing point and the target SOFTLY probing the area. If you hit something hard, bend down and check it by hand. That is how I found a lot of my arrows when I started shooting recurve.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master

hope it didnt hit a tree. if it did look for piecies

If you figure it out let me know. I can use your information to find my laser bore sighter.

I also found bits and pieces of another bore sighter. Couldnt be mine because it was in perfect shape before i launched it!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Yeah, but how did it group?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I witnessed a steel rammer discharged from a musket once. It made a peculiar 'twanging' noise as it flew through the air!

Boolit Master
    i seen a gentleman shoot his ramrod out of a optima one time, it was something that he, nor i will ever forget. but before i had seen that, i'd heard of stories about stuff like that, but did'nt think that i was true. but he was using pellet's, and never moved the rifle from it's rested position. so things do happen.

I know of a guy who shot a Polar Bear with a muzzle loader a few years back. His second finishing shot included the ramrod. He was so nervous he forgot to remove the ramrod from the barrel after a quick reload. The bear was real close by the time he reloaded. I think his boots were full of brown stuff as well!

Boolit Master

Saw one go down range once, it hit the 50 yard target and had the score keepers busy. It hit the 5,6,7,8,9,10,10X,10,9,8,7,6,5, from 12 o-clock to 6 o-clock. I think distance would be determined by the twist rate of the barrel and velocity, if the twist is not enough to stabilize it then it won't go to far.

Boolit Master
    I think I'll ask my game warden bro-in-law if I screw a 100 grain thunderhead on the end of a ramrod and shoot it out of a muzzleloader, is it legal for archery season?
    Handier than a crossbow and doesn't take much longer to re-load. Assuming you pack spare ramrods (shafts?)
    Never shot a ramrod, but me and my Dad have both figured out not to hit a set trigger until the gun is in the general direction it needs to go boom in.
    I also learned the hard way not to grab a wood ramrod way up high. They will break. At the worst possible times.

Boolit Master

First off I want to thank all of you for thoroughly drowning my key board in my favorite beverage. I have never had the misfortune of being absent minded enough to leave my ramrod in the bore, but I did see a fella shoot one out of a 45 cal with a PRB. It ended up about 100 yards down range. I am sure that some day, sooner or later I will end up having a brain fart and doing it. I hope it is not with my 32cal because it has a metal rod.

Best wishes, and thanks for the laugh,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Welcome to the flying ramrod club.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Mold
    I too must admit to being a member of the club. I was schooling my younger brother and his friend, which was a distraction. I've fired a lot of heavy recoiling guns, but nothing has matched the kick of a 100 grs powder, 385 gr. conical, and a solid aluminum ramrod.

Boolit Master

There are two kinds of pilots on retratcable gear planes, those who have landed with the landing gear up and those who will. Guess what follows about ram rods. Be advised the spline on most ram rods is not up to the required strength to keep them from bending and they may fly in strange directions.
    A pair of officers I formerly worked with decided that shooting arrows out of .410 shotguns was a better way to archery hunt, telling me how easy it was to hit with than using a bow. After one pratice session there was no more talk about it. I saw one of their wives in the store one day and she told me the story of how they were standing by the garage shooting at a target. One arrow some how turned and hit the wall between them burying the broad head in the side of her car inside.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

My grandfather's grandfather marched with Sherman during the Cival War. His name was Fred Yerian and he was a gun smith. One of his jobs after a battle was to search the battlefield for Ramrods that had been fired in the heat of battle. Also it was common for misfires to be reloaded on top of the unfired one he would have to pull the unfired loades from the guns to get them in working order. Sometimes the barrels would have several loads in them. The noise of the cannons and muskets made it hard to hear your own gun going off.

Boolit Master

I guess all these stories just go to prove what my father told me when I was a small boy first starting out with a gun. "Never put anything in front of the muzzle or in the muzzle of a firearm that you are not willing to loose." Until reading all of these posts I always thought he was talking about ones appendages, but now I am not so sure.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Buddy
    A few years ago I loaded my ML then bs wiith a guy .
    When I went back to shooting the rifle kicked extra hard & twisted kinda strange.
    I looked at the target with my spoting scope,was about 6" low at 100 yds.
    That was strange. I went to reload & couldn't find my ramrod.
    I took a walk & found it ,or what was left of it on the 100 yd berm.
    The next week I found my RR tip imbedded in a connical.
    Sorry no pictures , camera broke, send me a camera & I will post pictures

Boolit Buddy
    I think to figure BC you need to shoot over 2 crono's at once. one with the stop screen at about 10 yds & the other with the stop screen exactly 100 yds & sharing the same start screen.
    I will pass on this test .it would be a good way of destroing screens.