WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
MCD ProductsMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooting 45 Colt in 454 Casull?

Boolit Master
    I've got a 20" blued Rossi .454 Casull, and I shoot .45 Colt through it all the time. I don't get any leading in mine whatsoever. I do clean it very well after every range session though. I think the issue isn't leading, but carbon buildup. Also, I think if it's an issue at all, it's with very tight (min SAAMI spec) chambers in high end revolvers such as the Freedom Arms model 83. Regardless, I've never had a problem with my Rossi. Maybe if I run through 200 rounds of .45 Colt and then try some full power .454 rounds without cleaning it could be a problem, I don't know.

With regard to accuracy, I notice no difference at all between .45 Colt and .454 Casull loads in mine.

Sam Sackett is 100% correct about the mag tube being threaded into the receiver on the .454 carbines (and the .480 Ruger carbines too). I wish they'd have done that for the .44 mag carbines. I've had the mag tube on my .44 carbine walk out on me during one range session. Once it happens, it will be easier for it to happen again, because the screw at the front of the mag tube which presses up against the underside of the barrel near the muzzle creates a big gouge as the tube walks out a little bit on each shot. I've tried various things which have helped to a small degree, but if it happens again on mine I may be forced to have a gunsmith weld up the underside of the barrel to build the material up again that the mag tube screw gouged out. Regardless, I can't emphasize enough what a great improvement it is to have the mag tube thread into the receiver.

If the two carbines are priced similarly, I wouldn't hesitate to grab the .454.

And several folks have pointed out that if you need more power than .45 Colt, just get a .45-70 Marlin. For me, the .454 was a much better choice than a .45-70. For one thing, I wanted something light and handy. The 1895 Marlin or an 1886 Winchester are booth a good bit beefier and heavier than the Rossi 92. Secondly, I've already got a pretty sizable investment in .45 Colt components and bullet casting gear--molds, sizing die, etc. The .45-70 is a completely new caliber I'd have to gear up for.

Anyway, just my $0.02.

Really do not have much to add, but my 454 Casull Rossi 92 does not have the inner magazine tube to remove. Mine is the standard magazine tube design, Rossi makes them both way's. The magazine tube is definitely screwed into the receiver. I just took the forearm off and stripped the factory finish off of mine and redid it. I had to take the sight off because the magazine tube was screwed into the receiver (so I could remove all the barrel bands)just to get the forend off. They also have a flat top butt stock which I did not care for so I rounded mine off. They are definitely a thumper and happy that I bought mine. They will definitely punish you. I have never loaded for454 Casull and when loading for other calibers I have never had leading problems. Being my first time with 454 I loaded cast bullets non gas checked like I do on everything else. I can shoot 10 rounds and get just a little bit of leading and have to scrub the rifling good. Next time I load for it I will use gas checked bullets. Live and learn. Those things are definitely zinging.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

Boolit Master
    My Rossi 92 in 454 is different than any others I have seen or heard of. I don't know if the mag tube screws into the receiver or not but it doesn't matter as the end cap of my inner mag tube has a tab sticking out that fits snuggly in a slot in the bottom of the barrel. After loading the mag tube you push in the inner tube and then turn the end cap tab into the barrel slot. Short of breaking off the very strong tab, there is no way for the inner or outer tube to move forward during recoil. It surprises me they aren't all built this way.

I have a friend that bought one after I got mine and his had the screw in outer mag tube. He shot it some and the screw in outer tube pulled out stripping the threads on the tube. Rossi sent him a new tube which is still working as far as I know.

Boolit Bub
    On the big loop twirl: Note that Duke never fired a shot immediately after a twirl simply because the next round on the carrier fell out during the twirl, even the 5n1. Either he delivered a speech or threat or the film cut to another pose so that he could load it during the cut.
    As for Chuck Connors, he could twirl and fire. Rod Reddwing, the shows armorer and Connor's gun coach, installed a sping loaded plunger above the chamber to hold the next round on the lifter during the twirl. Reddwing wrote a complete article about Connor's training and the modifications in GUNS magazine at the time. Other interesting notes. Connors was completely ambidextrous, no trick camera work. The intro was shot with no trigger mods. The producers insurance company went nuts with nightmares of Connors driving the trigger through his finger and production being held up weeks while he healed. Thus the set screw to trip the trigger rapidfire was added. Finally, on a firing range with live ammo, Reddwing said that, from the shoulder, Connors could empty the magazine into a 4" post at 50 yards very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawk44 View Post
    On the big loop twirl: Note that Duke never fired a shot immediately after a twirl simply because the next round on the carrier fell out during the twirl, even the 5n1. Either he delivered a speech or threat or the film cut to another pose so that he could load it during the cut.
    As for Chuck Connors, he could twirl and fire. Rod Reddwing, the shows armorer and Connor's gun coach, installed a sping loaded plunger above the chamber to hold the next round on the lifter during the twirl. Reddwing wrote a complete article about Connor's training and the modifications in GUNS magazine at the time. Other interesting notes. Connors was completely ambidextrous, no trick camera work. The intro was shot with no trigger mods. The producers insurance company went nuts with nightmares of Connors driving the trigger through his finger and production being held up weeks while he healed. Thus the set screw to trip the trigger rapidfire was added. Finally, on a firing range with live ammo, Reddwing said that, from the shoulder, Connors could empty the magazine into a 4" post at 50 yards very quickly.
    Thanks for all you wrote . Most of what you wrote I did not know about. I known that Conners was into guns but did not know the details that you wrote . Thanks .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    I got one of the 454 Rossi 92 about 3 months ago and the new ones do not have the load/unload thru the tube. Not sure why they did away with that option, but have a feeling is cheaper to build without that option. I do not as of yet have any 454 brass and shoot both factory 45 colt, and my reloads. No problem. I guess if you want one with the tube option, will have to buy and older one, but I have
    not had any luck finding a used one that anyone wants to let loose of