Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to clean rust inside barrel

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    I've had that idea and never acted on it. Use a piece of piano wire as the electrode, and a solution of washing soda for the electrolyte. O-rings that are a under bore diameter and a snug fit on the wire to keep the wire centered. You don't even need the Outer's system, a small 12 volt battery charger will do. Positive to the electrode, negative to the barrel. That's crucial, get it backwards and the current will eat your barrel.

I do this on all kinds of parts, but dunked in a tank with a chunk of heavy un-plated hardware cloth for the sacrificial anode.

I have done this and it worked very well. I used a 1/4" steel rod in rusty .58 cal musket bore. To insulate the rod from touching the bore, I used a rubber cap (like used on vacuum hose) that slipped over the end of the rod that went down to the breech. I used a couple of rubber grommets along the length of the rod to keep it from touching the sides. I needed to pull the rod ever hour or so and clean off the accumulated rust, but that is to be expected. I did it with a small 1 amp charger and a battery in the circuit. Without a battery, it would trip the breaker on the charger. If you have not tried electrolysis for rust removal, you are missing out. Just google "electrolysis rust removal" , There is a lot of info out there. It is very simple and you probably already have everything need to do it, except maybe the washing soda. But you can get that at Walmart.

Boolit Master
    Shoot the tar out of it. If it's still kinda funky after a thorough enema, try paper patching. A properly prepared paper patched boolit is not only accurate but a heck of a bore lapper too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12