Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: New guy question about sizing for a revolver

Boolit Mold

New guy question about sizing for a revolver

Just a quick question about sizing boolits for a revolver. I have two guns where all the cylinders measure .356 -.358 with calipers ( I don't have an inside mic). If I size to .359 will I be squeezing the slugs too tight in some cylinders for good accuracy. I am shooting a Colt Officers in .38 and a Ruger security six in .357. The Colt i'm shooting for bullseye and need really good accuracy at the 50 yard line.

Boolit Master

Measuring revolver throats with those calipers will be off by at least .001 to .002 ( under ) disregarding the inherent accuracy of the caliper itself. This is because they are square and do not expand to contact the cylinder wall.

For the time being, forget the throats. If you have a .358 die, try it, if not try the .359.

There is at least a 95% chance that one or the other of these diameters will work just fine.

If you have no sizing die, Try them lubed as-cast. ( Expect some of them to be too large to chamber if you load them unsized.) DO NOT FORCE them. If they will not chamber pull the bullets and set those cases aside for use when you do have a sizing die.

The old Scott says

"Don't spend money to solve a problem until you have one."

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Man
    If you have an outside mic you could do impact slugs or cast's of your revolver's chambers and throats. Are you currently having accuaracy issues with you current loads? Also of alot of importance what do your barrels bores slug out at?

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry, with calipers the instrument itself is limited to +/-.001, and measuring throats
    is unlikely to be consistent, so you are double unlikely to have any useful numbers.

Either just shoot a few that are .358 and see how they do (this has a HIGH probablity of
    working well) or get a way to do more accurate measuring. You really need to know for
    sure to tighter than .001 before you make any judgements.

Just try .358 if that doesn't do well go bigger, like William said.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

.359 will be fine for both revolvers.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master
    Size for chamber specs. My sizer die sizes at .3584

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Banned

if the inside of a fired case from the gun measures bigger than 359 you will have no problems firing a 358 sized boolit in that gun.
    don't get carried away with the ginormous boolit thing.
    358 has worked in every 38-357 i have ever tried it in.
    your colt might even like 356 or 357 some of thier target guns had bbls in the 355 size.