RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: .243 Reduced loads ?

Boolit Master

.243 Reduced loads ?

Like the title says I would like some reduced loading data for a Sako .243 bolt gun. I looked at the 13 grs of red dot, but .243 does not meet the criteria listed (smaller than .30cal being one). Any suggestions would be welcome. I have not loaded for this rifle before and do not have Boolits so I will be using bullets.

Thanks,
    James

Boolit Grand Master

Suggest you get a copy of some of the older Lyman Cast blt manuals. You can often find them on e-bay. Seems like Lyman has given up on the 243 and cast blts at present. Not a lot of data available on cast and the 243. Also succest that you do a search on this forum for "cast loads for the 243". Believe you will find some info there. Good luck
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master

Thanks 1Shirt. I have a Lyman 46th edition and found data for lead in it. Can I use that data for jacketed as well ? I do not have a mould yet, but would like to try some lighter rounds at the range for some younger shooters and well, just for fun. I don't mean to sound like a dummy, but I have loaded zero rifle and not too much pistol. I haven't been at it very long. Some equipment just fell into my lap and you guessed it, now I'm hooked. I'm working on a mould, but for now I have to use what I've got.

James

Moderator Emeritus

the most current Lyman cast bullet handbook (that'd be #4)
    lists six powder loads for 243 win.

Loading for this is on my list of things to do also.
    I recently got a NOE 75 gr. mold.
    Now Lyman only lists 85 gr. and 95gr.
    But I plan on starting with AA 5744 for 85 gr. and work up.
    other powders they list loads for:
    SR-4759
    IMR-4227
    IMR-4198
    Rx7
    H335

While Lyman's listed loads are reduced from J-word velocities
    they aren't really reduced loads, they are the load for optimum
    accuracy using cast boolits. The loading data published by
    Lyman for all the above powders start around 1600FPS
    and go up to about 2400 FPS.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Bub
    Hodgden powder shows reduced load data for a few calibers go to there site and look up reduced loads with h4895

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dave22250 View Post
    Hodgden powder shows reduced load data for a few calibers go to there site and look up reduced loads with h4895
    May also be listed as youth loads there. Basically you can reduce a max charge of 4895 to 60% while keeping all else the same.

Boolit Master
    The Speer manuals are noted for having reduced J-word loads.

Three 44s

Boolit Master

My grandson started deer hunting with a .243. He was recoil sensitive at the time, so I loaded him up some j-word bullets using the starting loads listed in my Sierra handbook. The load was 39.6 gr IMR 4350, with an 85 gr Sierra HPBT (#1530), a 9 1/2 Rem LR primer. According to my notes the loads chrono at 2800'/s. They were very accurate and I can say that I know of 7 deer that have been taken with that load so far. In fact I got the empty box back after this season with request of more of the same. They work!

4064 is the old standard powder for reduced laods in a 243 Win. I'ts long stick powder that needs weighed with a scale though.

Boolit Master
    you can load 243 with red, green, unique, blue dot, 2400, etc. for reduced velocities. standard jacketed bullets loaded flat base forward in front of about 8 grains unique will get about 850 fps and knock the snot out of bunnies and squirrels at 20 yards. cast bullets should be kept slow, depending upon BHN (abt 75-85 fps for each BHN number). a chronograph would be nice to have on hand. start with 6 grains red dot (7 green, 8 unique, 9 blue, 10 of 2400, and work up to velocities you like. first 5 shots in each series check bore to be sure bullet didn't stick) and pillow stuffing to keep powder near primer.

Just where are you getting these load
    I find nothing like that in my older manual s
    keep on rolling along.no matter what happens just keep rolling

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Like the title says I would like some reduced loading data for a Sako .243 bolt gun. I looked at the 13 grs of red dot, but .243 does not meet the criteria listed (smaller than .30cal being one). Any suggestions would be welcome. I have not loaded for this rifle before and do not have Boolits so I will be using bullets.

Thanks,
    James
    Don't understand the comment on bullet size for use with the 13 grains of Red Dot. .243/6mm is smaller than .30/.308/7.62mm all day long. My boys started on 34.5 grains of IMR 4320 with a 100 grain jacketed bullet and are still killing all of their deer with it with very little recoil.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

I used to shoot cast bullet silhouette with a 243 using the RCBS 95 and 9 grains of red dot. Works great and feels like shooting a 22 magnum.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    Don't understand the comment on bullet size for use with the 13 grains of Red Dot. .243/6mm is smaller than .30/.308/7.62mm all day long. My boys started on 34.5 grains of IMR 4320 with a 100 grain jacketed bullet and are still killing all of their deer with it with very little recoil.
    The criteria for the 13 grains of Red Dot if for .30 cal cartridges, since 6mm as you stated is smaller it does not meet the criteria. Talk about resurrecting an old thread.

Boolit Master
    why not just use trailboss???? far too easy to make up loads using it...lee spoons make it easier still,just pick spoon smaller than the one for your regular charge of regular powder and have at it.
    if you want reduced for reduced recoil,go lighter projectile..plenty of 6mm options
    if you want reduced for small game.look at really light for calibre..there are some really light options out there that can be driven stupidly fast...or dawdle along depending on what you want to do.
    if you want to shoot deer etc but a wee bit recoil shy,try something in 80-87grn range,softy like a speer sp and reduce load to middle of range...it will still kill then deader than dead,you will just have to pick your shot placement a bit better. too easy.

Boolit Master
    I've happily shot hundreds of hard cast .243/85 grain Lyman (gas checked, Alox lubed, .243" sized, Loverin type) bullets over 2400 with great performance in the woods. It makes an excellent squirrel headshot load and I wouldn't hesitate to use it on southern deer inside 75 yards.

I love my 55 year old .243 W'by Vangard. It's been a lot of fun for a long time. I've learned a LOT about reloading for speed and accuracy with it but I have never loaded a single round of .243 reduced powder jacked ammo. There is such modest recoil to even the heaviest full power 100 gr. bullet loads what would be the point?

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Ruger M77 6mm Rem that is close to the 243 in capacity I loaded reduced practice loads for. From my records most accurate was Rem 80gr SP, 16.0gr 4227, CCI 200 and Rem case , three shots one hole 50yds. Same load with WinLR primer had three shots touching at 50yds. Another was same bullet and primer with 8.5gr 700X 5 shots in 1/2" at 50yds.

A really low power plinking load was a #3 buckshot (.25 cal) run through a Lee . 243 sizing die, Lee liquid lube, 2.0gr 700X,
    no filler, WinLR primer. Shot about an inch for 10 shots at 25yds, chronograohed 1027fps.

The original post is from 2012.

He was here yesterday, and apparently he still hasn't shot his eye out.
    So I trust he's gotten it figured out by now.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.