Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 535 grain bullet in 45/70

Boolit Master
    I QUIT USEING ANYTHING EXCEPT BLACKHORN209 IN MY 45/70 ROLER< 500+ gr BULLET< PURE LEAD< 38 TO 42 gr BLACKHORN209< ALL GRESE GROVES FILLED< MAG PRIMER< 1 MILK CARTON CARD WAD OVER POWDER< 1 PLASTIC CARD WAD OVER PAPER WAD AND UNDER BULLET< CORK WAD IF NEEDED TO FILL AIR VOID, PLASTIC WAD ON TOP UNDER BULLET ? THIS ACTS LIKE A CLEANER ROUND< SLIGHT COMPRESSION< OL JUST TO CLOSE ACTION< 1200fps OR A TAD LESS< ACCURATE FROM 100yds TO 1000meters< 8/10 IN X RING AT 1000 IF I DO MY PART< THICK SOFT RECOIL PAD< CHEEK RISER AND WHEN NEEDED FOR LONG RANGE A FOLD TOWEL OVER CHEEK PAD< TILT LONG RANGE SIGHT FORWARD SO YOU CAN SEE THROUGH IT< BRASS NOT RESIZED, JUST BELLED TO CENTER AND INDEXTED< BULLET JUST SITS THERE< PRESSED IN WITH FINGER PRESSURE ONLY> SHOOTS VERY CLEAN> THUMPS A LITTLE BIT BUT I SHOOT SITTING WITH STICKS< NO PROBLEM SHOOTING A 100 ROUND MATCH< I HAVE A BAD BACK JUST, TO LET YOU KNOW>>>> HAVE FUN WITH ALL OF THIS< IF IT WERE EASY, EVERYONE WOULD DO IT ???
    Last edited by BLAHUT; 08-29-2022 at 07:50 PM.

Boolit Master
    I FOLLOW BOOK DATA FOR MY LEVER GUIDE GUN, 45/70, LEE 515 gr BULLET, C57500F, .457, OL 2.55, 27 grs 5744, PURE LEAD. THIS IS FOR MY BEAR GUN FOR FISHING> WILL PUT 5 IN ONE RAGED HOLE AT 100yds, NASTY ON BOTH ENDS>>>>

Boolit Master

THIS TYPE (YELLING) ALL THE TIME is hurting my eyes.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    36 grains of Reloder 7 is going to wake you up with that little rifle and that heavy boolit! Lots of people like XMP5744 for your component choices, but I've always had good luck with Reloder 7 with less pressure and recoil for similar velocities. My favorite load for 45/90 is 40 grains of Reloder 7 with a 505-grain boolit, and it hammers me pretty hard in a 13.5 lb Shiloh Sharps. With 45/70, I like 450-grain boolits and considerably less Reloder 7 than you're contemplating based on the book loads.

Gear
    you are gonna get the dog crap knocked out of you with that load pal. find a 405 grain bullet.

Boolit Master
    the gun that you have is a very strong one. in mine I load 27 grs of 4198. with a cotton ball filler or Rice Crispes. works for me. not telling you to use that load.

Boolit Grand Master

1) Don't try to shoot that load from the bench - it will hurt you.

2) Even with black the Govt. boolit hurt in a trapdoor - with a PAST pad.

3) Stand up and let your whole body move with the recoil and you can do it - but get a pad before you do that.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TCoggins View Post
    Gents - I have an H&R Buffalo Classic in 45/70, and am working on loading some 535 grain bullets. I purchased the bullets from one of the members here on Cast Boolits, and asked him for a bit more info on the bullet design.

However, if I use the Lyman data for 535 bullets, they specify an OAL of 2.930". If I seat the bullet to this OAL, the case mouth is in a lube groove. I would need to seat the bullet about .075" deeper to get the case mouth to crimp on the driving band (is that the correct term?).

My concern is, what would seating this deeper do to the pressures involved? I am starting with trap door loads, (starting load would be 36 grains of Reloder 7).

I would appreciate any input you folks could offer.

Thank you.

Tim
    Dude if you will watch this video, this guy shows the easiest way to find out COL for a specific bullet in a single shot:

https://youtu.be/wEvUTVl6OCc

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tazman1602 View Post
    Dude if you will watch this video, this guy shows the easiest way to find out COL for a specific bullet in a single shot:

https://youtu.be/wEvUTVl6OCc

Art
    Thanks for sharing this, excellent video and easy to do!

Boolit Mold
    My men. This thread is over 10 years old. I hope he's figured his load out by now. lol

I tried them in a Marlin 45-70 carbine an I could not push them fast enough to stabilize.

Boolit Master
    I shoot a roler, so OL has to be dead on, no caming action, I found that by chambering a round and pushing in as far as I could, to see if action would close? set so bullet was just touching lands. I do not crimp, only bell. mine is accurate out to 1000 meters with a 500 - 525 grain bullet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12