Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Anyone sell a 170 gr plain base mould?

Boolit Mold

Anyone sell a 170 gr plain base mould?

I'm looking for a 170 gr plain base mould for my .308 preferably round nose but flat would work. Anyone still sell them without gas checks??? All I can find are gas checks.

You could get a 6x and have the GC removed from some or all. RD will do this on his molds. He is coming out with a 308 sometime this year.

Boolit Mold
    I was hoping there was one I could order this week.

He has 30-30 style that you could load in 308 and crimp in lube groove, I'm thinking of doing that to start. If you got a Lee mould, he might ream out the GC, he has the tooling.

Boolit Mold
    RD is ranch dog right? I'm currently using 170 gr rn hornady bullets that are for 30/30. Just looking for a cheap alternative. These will be subsonic through a suppressor so can't have gas checks.

Boolit Mold
    Ok RD does not have one for the .308 win. How bad would it be to shoot a gas check bullet with no gas check? 1000fps on average 100 yard about max range.

Banned

Take a look at Accuratemolds dot com.

If you don't see a design that you like, email him and he can design exactly what you want in no time, you'll have your mould in under three weeks, likely MUCH under three weeks. Yes, they're expensive, but you DO get what you pay for, in fact MORE than you pay for. His equipment limits him to a minimum .180" meplat, so no true round noses or spire points, but the round-flat nose boolits have been shown to fly better anyway. Don't forget to pick up a flat top punch as well, they're dirt cheap if you buy a mould ($2 I think).

You'll need a set of Lee commercial six-cavity mould handles or equivalent design.

Gear

It's failry easy to drill out the gas check shank in a mould.

Get the Lee C309-170F (30368) and use a 19/64" drill bit to drill out the base of mould, then finish with a piece of dowel wrapped with emery cloth to finished size.

For $25, it's cheap enough to give it a go.

I haven't had much luck with leaving the GC off. Works but accuracy stinks, for me. That big flat front should work fine subsonic. You shooting a bolt gun or SA? Why no GC in a suppressor? I can hardly pull them off with pliers. Shank does need to be sized right.

Quote Originally Posted by Texaslawman View Post
    I was hoping there was one I could order this week.
    A couple of years ago we had a group buy here for a 311041 plain-base 6-cavity mold. I bought one, cast up a batch of boolits, but never really tried very many of them after I got distracted by my new Rossi 357 levergun. I've still got a bunch of those boolits, un-sized, down in my loading room. If you want to try some, PM me and I can send you some.

JLChucker

I have some of the RD plain base. PM me.

Boolit Master

I would second the idea of getting a mould from Tom at Accurate Molds. His moulds are second to none, and will cast great boolits, and you'll have exactly what you want, and have it fast too! If you get one of his moulds, I would recommend you spend a little extra and get a brass mould rather than aluminum, while heavier, brass holds the heat much better, so there's less chance of having an unevenly heated mould, and once up to the proper casting temp it will stay there much easier †han an aluminum mould which tends to loose heat very quickly!

Either way, aluminum, or brass, or even iron if you get a 3 or less cavity mould, you won't be sorry.
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    I haven't had much luck with leaving the GC off. Works but accuracy stinks, for me. That big flat front should work fine subsonic. You shooting a bolt gun or SA? Why no GC in a suppressor? I can hardly pull them off with pliers. Shank does need to be sized right.
    It's a bolt gun. Only would take one to come off and don't need them subsonic.

Would this work?
    Last edited by popper; 08-18-2012 at 01:05 PM.

I've got a RD 165gr that was plainbased by Mike before he made the move to Lee doing it....

I've not cast from it, but I've not heard anyone say bad things about them

pm me if interested

Boolit Master

Now, I've always wondered why none of the mould manufacturers made a 170 grain FN mould for the old .30/30. Lachmiller did back in the days before RCBS scooped them up.

The RCBS 30-180-FN is a good mould and shoots well but mine tends to run 190 grains plus.

I've been tempted to get one and have my machinist buddy scale the GC shank off and use some of Pat Marlins .30PB check on it. I'll bet it would run right at 170 grains and be a go getter in a .30/30 lever./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Buddy
    CBE offers a plain base option for every mold they make, no charge. Just insert the reamer not so deep and leave off the gas check shank.

Boolit Grand Master

I have both the GC as well as the PB 6 cav. molds from RD. Both excellent, and both have a purpose.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Mold
    I went with a mould from accurate moulds. Thanks guys!