RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DEADBEAT - Wrechhog

I did a transaction with a member after only four or five posts from me. It went well, I was REALLY pleased and I'm happy I was allowed after just a few posts. Otherwise, not only would I not have my "new to me" lubrisizer, I would not ahve had the pleasure of communicating with a fine gentleman from Arizona who is a member in long standing on this forum!

I suppose it's like proposed gun legislation: some of the bad seeds/criminal element want to just louse it up for the rest of us. Bummer.

Makes me pleased to have been part of this forum, though. That's a fact.

I'm not sure how it's done, but on one board I visit, there is what they call a "trader rating" that shows like a post count. People leave feedback like they do on Ebay. Might be something to consider. Caveat Emptor to no, low or negative feedback.

Boolit Master

trader rating

problem with it is it's very relative. If you do business with 10-20 people and only 1 leaves you a rating, then it really does no good.
    We don't need to add any work load to the mods here.

Banned

[QUOTE=Sabaharr;1814905]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post

I feel the same way Dusty. I have an over 600 rating with transactions on Ebay and 100% satisfaction rating with the ones that bothered to leave feedback. You can bet anyone unhappy would let you know on there. This is for both buying and selling. Anyone wanting to check I go by the same name there as here. It looks like the way some want it you have to be a chataholic to be trustable.
    Sabaharr
    hmmm............It took time to develop that rating you speak of on the other forums. It's impossible to "adopt" that or any other rating from forum to forum. In the digital/technology world we now live in it is impossible to get a handshake and judge a man by his character in person. So, we need to be conservative in our approach. As time goes on trust and awareness is built naturally. Also if a man truly understands this principle and is not trying to "get one over" then he won't mind being patient for that trust to come, knowing that it will. So when someone expresses an unwillingness to abide by the protocol that is already in place to me that in itself raises a flag. And it is up to each individual to handle this issue in the way they choose. Some will be more willing than others to go out on that limb. But either way a person chooses to handle it is acceptable.

Oh and btw..........trust has nothing to do with religion. Either you are or you aren't trustworthy.

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    If either buying or selling I always look at join date and post count. Also anyone who has been part of this community for long and read any number of posts forms opinions about the people. Depending on my opinion, and their stats I will conduct my business accordingly. Their are people I would send cash or goods to with no worry others I'll use postal money orders or paypal only and money in hand before shipment. Some deals I won't even pursue because of lack of confidence. There is always something else to spend my money on.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DukeInMaine View Post
    Mr Le, used a shipping location (UPS Store) to receive his shipment. Perhaps a call to UPS and a fraud claim will get you the lead on his real address and a phone number.

After almost getting burned by another member here, I have taken the posture that NOTHING ships now until I am paid.

I'm fearful that even the PIF stuff (especially the large box of brass, etc) will die because of these kinds of guys.
    I can say from my personal experience as a retired USPS employee. The numerous complaints of fraud, not just mail fraud but numerous other types of criminal activity where or when a street address was needed. The trail often led to a private mailbox. Not just private UPS mailboxes, others such as Mailboxes Etc type and numerous others.

Anybody can buy a private mailbox and gain access and use what appears to be a legitimate street or PO Box address. All they need to do is have the money to pay for it. If the business requires ID. The perp can and have just get a bum off the street to buy a private box.

From what I understand there have been some changes in the regulations since I left the Post Office. I've been told UPS company owned mail drops now require ID. I'm unaware of how the changes in USPS regs effect delivery of US mail to mom and pop, independent and privately owned businesses.

When in doubt. Do a Google search of the address. Look up a satellite picture of the address. Is it a home or a shopping center. Google pictures of home addresses are not always accurate but if somebody's supposedly home address turns out to be a shopping center. It should raise the caution flag.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I have been a member of this forum for close to five years and it has changed quite a lot in that time. Some for the better and some for the worse.
    If you do some research on the buying and selling section , you will find that it is loaded with members with very low posting counts. It seems that most of them are here for that reason only and they make a quick buy and you never hear from them.
    At one time it was easy to see a well known member beat you to a item, no more.
    I sold and sent presses and other items worth more than $200 each as soon as I received the I'll take it sign, not now, no way.
    It would be a almost overbearing job to unload this type of member although I don't feel they help with making the forum what it was. I was only burned on one deal and after a long period was able to recoup some of my funds.
    If you look at the online stores that sell products, you will see where almost none of them will ship to a PO BOX, or rented mail type of facility. They have good reasons for that.
    Being a former police officer, my hairs on my neck always stand up when I see people selling items or wanting you to send money to such a address. Stay away from them just as you would from a very large pit viper!!
    You will also find that other forums will not sell you a item if you are not an established member with both time and postings, not just from the classifieds which don't add to your total count.
    You may want to look on Craigslist for the area you sent the items to, maybe you may find your crook. Also E-Bay. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    I have been a member of this forum for close to five years and it has changed quite a lot in that time. Some for the better and some for the worse.
    If you do some research on the buying and selling section , you will find that it is loaded with members with very low posting counts. It seems that most of them are here for that reason only and they make a quick buy and you never hear from them.
    At one time it was easy to see a well known member beat you to a item, no more.
    I sold and sent presses and other items worth more than $200 each as soon as I received the I'll take it sign, not now, no way.
    It would be a almost overbearing job to unload this type of member although I don't feel they help with making the forum what it was. I was only burned on one deal and after a long period was able to recoup some of my funds.
    If you look at the online stores that sell products, you will see where almost none of them will ship to a PO BOX, or rented mail type of facility. They have good reasons for that.
    Being a former police officer, my hairs on my neck always stand up when I see people selling items or wanting you to send money to such a address. Stay away from them just as you would from a very large pit viper!!
    You will also find that other forums will not sell you a item if you are not an established member with both time and postings, not just from the classifieds which don't add to your total count.
    You may want to look on Craigslist for the area you sent the items to, maybe you may find your crook. Also E-Bay. Later David
    Because the only place we could have a mailbox is almost a half mile from the house and out of sight, we have a post office box. The only things we can't get shipped to our PO box are items the postal service will not allow. Between Janet and I we order from internet vendors several times a month and have no problem getting our orders shipped to our PO box. UPS is now delivering to PO boxes because some buyers cannot receive at the residence.

Banned

+1 on get the $$$ then ship.

With all due respect to sellers....

You know, it seems that shipping before the receipt of funds is kind of dangerous. I always ask the seller if they will take a personal check, hold the item for a week after depositing the check, THEN ship. So far, no one has refused.
    I would not ship to anyone until it is paid for.....and the check has cleared. If everyone did that, we would have no issues.
    I understand the desire to trust our fellow man. I learned long ago that unless you kow them, have done business with them, and have been piad by them in the past, no shipping until the check has cleared.

I use PayPal and have used checks to purchase items here. Most of the people I have delt with have shipped before the check has cleared.. The few items I have sold I look at join date and activity.. If the person has posts only in the swapping selling section I'm a little leery . But if the person has posts in other sections then I might send the item immediately and not wait. It truly is sad that there are people out there that will scam other people for money. I don't have a whole lot but what i do have i have worked my butt off since i was 15 to get it (47 now) I would rather someone ask me for something and I'd give it to them than steal it from me !! Just my 2 cents. Sorry for your bad luck bud. Bill
    PMI pistol range USMC 85-89

im looking for these contender pistol barrels--> 6tcu,.30herrett

barrels i have-->.221 fireball,7-30 waters,7tcu,.357 herrett,.44 mag,6.5tcu

There's only 2 people in this world i trust, one of them is me the other one's not you...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    +1 on get the $$$ then ship.
    I agree with what you're saying but I've been burned as I believe most others that have been ripped-off. Were scammed as buyers, by sellers listing goods and not delivering. I haven't followed all the deadbeat posts but I'm unaware of a seller getting ripped off by a buyer but I'm sure I'd find one if I looked hard enough.

I was only ripped off once as were several others and that was by Fish N Russ. My first buy he promptly shipped after I risked sending him cash in the mail. If I remember right it was like a 6 or 7 day turn-around. The second time, using a money order all I got were a lot of excuses and merchandise he claimed he shipped that never arrived.

Boolit Buddy
    l do Ebay/GB for my gun stuff and it goes to a po box. 0nly they wont accept ammo or guns. l frequently work out of town and cant be there when stuff arrives, so the po box makes it safe for me. l have never asked or expected anything shipped before l pay. l will not under ANY circumstances use paypal. Wife got spammed for $264 in the middle of a transaction. 0nly our local bank helped us recover the funds. Ebay did nothing.

Boolit Mold
    I've bought and sold on ebay for about a decade (as cmbiii, with 600+ all positive feedbacks), bought and sold guns on Gunbroker and GunsAmerica, and I make and sell (online) the BK Grip Adapters for S&W revolvers (shameless plug.)

I have NEVER shipped an item before being paid for it (and waited the 10 business days that my bank says it takes for a personal check to clear.) And I have NEVER expected a seller to ship to me before he received MY payment. I cannot understand doing otherwise when engaging in remote transactions with people you don't know. State the terms up front and everybody knows what to expect. If somebody wants me to ship something to them before their payment arrives, well maybe I don't want to do ANY business with that character.

It has been well known for a long time that the private mailbox companies were prime vehicles for online fraud. (When I used to buy and sell photo gear regularly, the big online retailers usually would not ship to ANY box address, whether USPS or private - only to a street address.) But as a small scale seller now, if I have the money in hand I don't much care if that's where a buyer wants things sent. (And frankly, if I'm given "Box XXX" as part of the address, I can't really tell if it's a USPS or a private box.) The only time I might have been stiffed by a buyer is one of my grip adapter customers who claimed he never got the Priority Mail box even though the USPS said it had been delivered to his home. Rather than get in a hissing fight I just mailed out another one, but I've always wondered . . .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    ....If you look at the online stores that sell products, you will see where almost none of them will ship to a PO BOX, or rented mail type of facility. They have good reasons for that.... Later David
    Do not automatically assume you're dealing with a dis-honest person because he/she has a PO box.

Speaking again as a retired USPS employee, not officially. Many on-line or mail order type businesses have exclusive contracts for discounted rates with UPS, FedEx or other non government delivery companies to deliver all their goods. UPS, FedEx etc do not have access to or can they deliver to USPS PO boxes. The business shipping the goods must have a street address UPS, FedEx etc to deliver to. UPS and possibly FedEx and the others will deliver to a rural location without an official address. Such as the following fictitious example. ABC Ranch, HWY 101, First East Bound Dirt Road 1/4 mile north of mile post marker 99, Nowhere Arizona 85001. Put that in the US Mail and see how fast it is returned.

There are many small towns and rural residents across the USA that do not receive mail delivery to their home. Many rural residents may have mailbox set up along a highway several miles from their home. There is so much mail theft from rural mailboxes. Many postal patrons will rent a PO box from the Post Office or a private non-government mail box to keep their mail secure.

I would be highly suspect if I was given a private mail box address in a large city but there are some exceptions for good reasons. Depending on local policy, the USPS will allow mail to accumulate mail for a short period of time before the mailman picks it up and returns it to the Post Office. A notice will be left giving the postal patron so many days to pick the mail up at the Post Office. If the mail is not collected, it is returned rubber stamped "unclaimed".

Many people often leave town for extended periods of time and are simply unable to collect their mail daily. Truck drivers, fed LEO's, airline pilots and attendants are good examples. Unable to collect their mail they might retain a private mailbox business willing to keep and store their mail for extended periods of time.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Roundnoser View Post
    Looks like he joined last year, and only had 6 posts.

Mods,

Would it be worth increasing at least the number of posts for both selling AND/OR buying? Some of the buyers are jumping on sale offers with only a handful of posts under their belt, which is not much time to establish a reputation. -- That said, it should also be stressed that it is best to have money in hand before mailing items out! Its just good business.
    Some people have no shame!! It may get so someone might fear sending funds and not getting package in return. What a dilemma.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    You know, it seems that shipping before the receipt of funds is kind of dangerous. I always ask the seller if they will take a personal check, hold the item for a week after depositing the check, THEN ship. So far, no one has refused.
    I would not ship to anyone until it is paid for.....and the check has cleared. If everyone did that, we would have no issues.
    I understand the desire to trust our fellow man. I learned long ago that unless you kow them, have done business with them, and have been piad by them in the past, no shipping until the check has cleared.
    Another thing to think about, a bad check sent in the mail is fraud and a federal offence. I don't think MOs carry the same penalty.

This all is why I choose to do most of my business with PayPal. If you do not receive your item, you are covered with buyer protection and can get your money back. I also make it a strict practice to never transfer any acct balance from
    PayPal untill AFTER I see confirmed delivery of my product. I still have the $$ sitting there on these 11 boxes I have left to ship. I also think its important for buyers to be able to check my feedback rating on eBay so I provided my eBay user id. I have also provided those who asked my address and phone number. If your buying from me there should be no reason why you should not have this info.
    And, I'm one of the chatty ones.... Too chatty most of the time. But I do spend my days with little adult interaction, talking to youns is helping me not grow kid brain.
    ~Andrea

Oh that it is. My cousin just got arrested because her husband spent $1,100 at Home Depot and didn't tell her so a check that was $109 bounced because she only had $61 left in her acct. needless to say, they no longer share accts

Quote Originally Posted by Vinne View Post
    Another thing to think about, a bad check sent in the mail is fraud and a federal offence. I don't think MOs carry the same penalty.
    ~Andrea

20. 01-04-2016, 08:27 PM

21. 01-04-2016, 09:13 PM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12