Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Number's on moulds

Boolit Mold

Number's on moulds

Howdy!

I'm just getting into this whole casting thing and had a question. The numbers on a mould, the first 3 i found out is the diameter of it but what is the last numbers for? I know its a really, really noob question but its been bothering me that I don't know.

Thanks.

Boolit Master

The second three numbers on Lyman moulds are the cherry number. That's a number assigned by Lyman to a specific style bullet and has nothing to do with weight. It's just an arbitrary number originally assigned in sequence to a specific bullet design. It's like a drawing or blueprint number for the dimensions of that particular cherry. It stays with that bullet forever. A cherry is a kind of reamer designed to cut the mould cavity in a set of mould blocks.

None of this is to be confused with another set of numbers on Lyman blocks. This set of numbers may be one, two or three digits and will be the same on both blocks. These are block numbers and are stamped on blocks prior to the manufacturing process to keep the blocks together during manufacturing.

Check the castpics site for a complete listing of mulds and cherry numbers./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

To add RCBS molds ex. 44-250 first number is caliber second number is weight of boolits.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the information.