MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

View Poll Results: If you could buy a Ruger #1 or 10/22 action would you?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I would buy a 10/22 action

6 6.67%
  • Yes I would buy a #1 action

49 54.44%
  • I would buy both

23 25.56%
  • No

12 13.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you buy just a Ruger #1 or 10/22 action?

Boolit Master

Would you buy just a Ruger #1 or 10/22 action?

If Ruger offered the actions plus internal parts, trigger, etc. Basically an action that was ready to be stocked and barreled would you buy one? Provided it was at a reasonable price of course.

Boolit Master
    I would buy both if funds allowed. The #1 would be a definite. The 10/22 would be very likely, but if it was sold as a "virgin" receiver like many AR receivers, in order to allow building a pistol or rifle, that would make it a definite. I have a 10/22 and have done a lot of work to it, so am very familiar with the action, but would like to build a pistol on the action, and buying a "Charger" just to throw away most of the parts doesn't make much sense to me as I dont like the design as it is, but have a few ideas floating around in my head.

Boolit Master

Don't know if you still can, but Brownell's offered Ruger #1 actions for a long long time...can't find them online with Brownells right now though...........
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Master
    There is nothing reasonable about prices when one buys a car one part at a time.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Fire View Post
    There is nothing reasonable about prices when one buys a car one part at a time.
    I totally agree with you. I was just thinking I have seen 10/22 actions for about $50 in the past but didnt think to get them. And if I could get a virgin receiver, even for double that, it would be cheaper for my pistol project than buying a Charger for over $300 (around here) and then stripping most of the parts off to replace with others. I probably wont do this due to the costs involved, but kinda had a wild hair to attempt to build a pistol based on the 10/22 design action that would be somewhat similar cosmetically (stock wise) to the XP-100 pistols that I still see on occasion (but ALWAYS way out of my price range).

Boolit Master

I would buy a no 1 action if priced right, just don't know what it would become, .
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

Boolit Grand Master

I would buy a #1 action again.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Yes to the #1. No to the 10/22.

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I would buy a #1 action but it would have to be really cheap. A stock set and barrel blank by themselves is getting close to the cost of a used #1 whole rifle.

Boolit Mold
    i have been looking for a ruger 10 22 action for awhile as i have the original parts off my first ruger (stock, and barrell) and want a second "stock" ruger 10 22 for plinking and would do custom work to factor stock...perhaps finger grooves in pistol grip, adjustable cheek piece and rotatable and length adjustment butt pad

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Fire View Post
    Building ones dream #1 a single part at a time would most certainly result in a rifle that costs more than the factory available ones, yet would still be way cheaper then buying a full#1 rifle stripping it down to the action putting your desired barrel and stock on it and then trying to sell off the left over parts to recoup some of the loss.

People do this all the time when building ARs, you might spend about the same building one as buying one off the rack, but the end result is "your" AR and not just one off the rack.
    Last edited by 2ndAmendmentNut; 02-26-2012 at 10:21 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Not only that, but if you build your own, you can be ticked off if your rifle wont shoot less than an inch because you have a good quality barrel on it that has some sort of guarantee. Unlike the factory toiletry they put on these $1000 rifles, which ruger promises will shoot less than 4" at 100 yards. Rugers accuracy standards are laughable. If I ever buy another Ruger, the first thing I will do is open up the action, clean out all the metal shavings, deburr all the razor sharp edges, and re-barrel it, Then and only then will I try to shoot it. All this for a single shot rifle, Hmmmm. I could get a CZ that will shoot dime sized groups right out of the box for that kind of money, or I could have two Savage's that will perform in similar fashion.
    Ruger makes some of the most beautiful rifles I have ever seen, but all I care about is accuracy, if it doesn't have that, then its just a polished turd.
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 02-24-2012 at 11:08 PM.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

I have a handful of 10/22 actions. I have no #1 actions. I would get the #1.

Boolit Buddy
    I voted NO, I have found that the price of actions or barreled actions for that matter are very cost prohibitive. I would really like to know the reason why?? I have bought entire rifles on the used market, used the action or barreld action, and at a very cost efficient substitute. A different means to the same end.
    Crash87
    "An art, to supply a truthful response to someones nagging, busy bodied question(s) such that the person feels as though their question has been answered, but yet, do not understand the answer and are unable to provide a follow up question to gain clarification for fear of appearing to be a dumb ***, when basically having to repeat the question

"LIBERALS ARE ALOT LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS."

Hangfire said "There is nothing reasonable about prices when one buys a car one part at a time."

Worse than that what I have a hard time figuring out is guys that'll buy a 10/22 then throw everything away, (take off and not use) the stock, trigger group and barrel and replace all that stuff with aftermarket. Next stop $1200 10/22 with all the stock pieces left laying around.

Oh and just as a side note, "MOA" sells a CNC'd stainless 10/22 receiver with an extra mounting lug on the rear for (last time I checked) $179. If someone were going to do a 10/22 build that would definitely be the place to start. As a matter of fact I believe it would make a better weapon, and cost much less, to get a factory 10/22, work over the trigger group then replace the factory receiver with that MOA receiver. I'd bet you dollars to donuts I could produce as much of a tack driver or better in that manner.

Boolit Grand Master

Volquartsen makes all the parts you need to build a custom 10/22. I'd rather spend more money and have a tack driver than use a factory action.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

Boolit Master
    There are so mant things that can be done to either rifle, i said yes but only if it actually was cheaper than buying a new rifle. There is something to be said for either starting with a new action, and also buying a used gun to work over.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Mold
    Bealzybub- I did the same thing to my ruger 10 22, cant really explain why but ended up dropping around 1100 but its my favorite rifle so the price doesn't matter

Boolit Master

I have never seen the actions only at prices that make it practical. From what I have seen as an individual ( and not a dealer or FFL holder) you can buy the complete rifle cheaper than you can buy just the action. The same applies to the Remington 700 action.
    Plus you can sell the replaced items: barrel ,stock trigger or what ever else you do not use in your build.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast