RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee Pro 1000 should I do it??

Quote Originally Posted by Storydude View Post
    The chain operated measure reduces the double charge syndrome.
    I didn't get on with the chain, just seemed to break too often. I went back to the heavy spring to re-set the powder thrower and as long as you ensure you do a full stroke of the handle each time, is not a problem.

Among the best advice for this press is to make sure the primer feeder channel is always full and to feel for the primer being inserted at the top of the handle stroke.

Just wanted to say CowboyT is awesome and makes great videos. Definitely worth watching the LCT and Pro 1000 vids.

I think the 1000 is a pretty neat piece, though I don't have one. People make comparisons with a $1000 set up verses the $150 Lee all the time and call it bad. *shrug*

There isn't much to compare it to, maybe Lee's own classic turret.

You might want to take a
    Look at lee's service. I have used lee dies for some time. Just picked up a set of 223 dies. The depriming pin gets stuck in some of the flash holes and pulls out of the die. I just went to their site and cannot fined a way to call and ask about it. They have this crappy website support thing now. The main site is not up either.

Boolit Buddy

Just put the order in
    Thanks everyone

Boolit Master
    If all you need are three stations, then the Pro 1000 may be all you need. Lots of folks love 'em. I wouldn't own a progressive with less than 5 stations and think my Dillon 1050s could use one more station on each side of station 5 (the powder measure station).
    Go to LoadMasterZone.com (I think) for information on fine-tuning the Lee progressives.

Boolit Master
    Load Master Zone = http://loadmastervideos.com/

Great site for LEE loaders
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Master

I liked the 1000, good machine, I am very mechanically inclined and don't have a problem tinkering. It was frustrating at times but once you get to know the machine it works well. I stepped up to the loadmaster, more stations, the priming system isn't as good as the pro1000 but again, once you know the machine it runs fine.

Boolit Master
    Make sure your bench is very rigid. Shaky bench's and Lee's primer setup do not mix.

Boolit Buddy

I actually had to build a whole new bench just for my Pro 1000 and my posness warren so I still have room to work on my guns and still use my single stage for swaging, I actually plan on using the same press for different cal. as money is a lil tight as Lowes cut our pay ALOT I just needed this press to really sped thing up, i do think of myself as mechanically inclined as I do everything myself so I think I will be happy, plus with CowboyT's videos how can I go wrong, It comes in the mail tomorrow so I am geeked, New bench is ready to go

Boolit Master

I've used a 1000 for a number of years in 9mm, 40, 38/357 and the only hassle I've routinely encountered it the primer mechanism is prone to jamming. It got to the point I decided to resize in a single stage and prime by hand. Yes, labor intensive but after you get your press up and running you will probably see why I took the cowards way out. Other than that, you will be pleased with it. You can put out a ton of rounds in a short period of time. Get the case collator when you get a chance. also check out Lee precision"s web sight, go to "closeouts" and they usually offer reconditioned to new 1000's for 130.00 and other stuff of interest. Good luck

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    I've used a 1000 for a number of years in 9mm, 40, 38/357 and the only hassle I've routinely encountered it the primer mechanism is prone to jamming. It got to the point I decided to resize in a single stage and prime by hand.
    Doesn't this defeat the purpose of a progressive press? It should do everything it's advertise to do. If it doesn't, there is a manufacturer issue to be addressed.

take care,

r1kk1

Boolit Bub
    Oh no, he did it... good luck reloading progressively.

Boolit Master
    I have a Lee 1000 and for me it works well. The way I use it is first to resize and deprime the cases which are then tumbled and inspected. Next I use the press to seat the primers. This way I can make certain all primers are correctly seated and I don't have to worry about watching powder and feeding bullets and it allows me to inspect each case and make certain I don't have a high primer or other defect. I would do this even if I had a Dillon. Finally I use the three stations to expand and charge the case, seat the bullet, and, finally, crimp. It is slower than just feeding cases, powder and bullets to the press but a lot faster than a single stage or even a turret and I don't have rejects because of a bad case, or improperly seated primers, or the jams and *****s that occur when you do have a bad case or crimped primer pocket or get some small primer 45 cases while trying to seat large primers. Besides I think it makes for better reloads.

Jerry Liles

Boolit Master

I had a pro 1000 for awhile and it worked fairly well with 45ACP using large pistol primers. When I switched it to 9mm with small pistol primers it was pitiful. I finally got angry enough to give it the float test and it failed miserably! I chucked it off the bridge at Fort Patric Henry lake and it now resides somewhere on the bottom. I bought a 550 Dillon and never looked back. Long story short, the press is ok, but the priming system is pure junk in my opinion. I hope yours gives better service than mine did!

FWIW: I'm an ASE and SAE master mechanic, a machinist and a pretty good gunsmith. Small complicated machinery USUALLY is no problem.

Boolit Master
    I just load on my press. I check powder charges about every tenth or more drop, but pretty much just put brass in, place bullet and keep going. The last round of 44 mags I did with 255 grain SWC chronograph at 1570, 1562, 1572, 1564, 1570. These were five rounds I just picked out of thousand. Pretty consistent load I would say and took me approximately 3.5 hrs to load. I didn't have any rejects. Standard load I've used for IHMSA for years. Works well in Dan Wesson, TC and FA.

I have a similar 357 load that I use with a 180 SWC GC bullet that very well too. I use to load 445 and 414 Supermags on the press and getting older, the recoil is a little much on the 200 meter course of fire.

I just load on my press. Same on since the 80s.

take care,

r1kk1

Boolit Master
    I have a Lee 1000 and for me it works well. The way I use it is first to resize and deprime the cases which are then tumbled and inspected. Next I use the press to seat the primers. This way I can make certain all primers are correctly seated and I don't have to worry about watching powder and feeding bullets and it allows me to inspect each case and make certain I don't have a high primer or other defect. I would do this even if I had a Dillon. Finally I use the three stations to expand and charge the case, seat the bullet, and, finally, crimp. It is slower than just feeding cases, powder and bullets to the press but a lot faster than a single stage or even a turret and I don't have rejects because of a bad case, or improperly seated primers, or the jams and *****s that occur when you do have a bad case or crimped primer pocket or get some small primer 45 cases while trying to seat large primers. Besides I think it makes for better reloads.
    YIKES!....I have to believe a single stage or maybe a turret press would be faster.......No?
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Buddy

Ok its all set up and I did have a hell of a time with the primer feed setup but got it figured out, however I could not for the life of me get the case feed to work. I did change it over from .38 spl to 9mm so I dont know if that had anything to do with it. I was able to crank out 250 rnds in an hour so I was happy.

That looks good. I like the bench top too.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by GT1 View Post
    That looks good. I like the bench top too.
    $5.11 on clearance at Lowes I just cut it down and reatachted the backsplash.
    There is a 8' right across from it...

LOL that is almost identical to my first reloading setup right down to the unique and counter color! After a few years fighting a pro 1000 I have given up priming on it paticularly for LP rounds. Although the case feeder works like a champ for me? I fill the case feeder and run the brass through to deprime and size with no other dies in and prime by hand with a hand primer. Then reload the feeder switch out the head charge cases and seat boolits. Everyone will have different results butforme the priming wasnot reliable enough or worth the PITA. YMMV
    If you are new to this hobby and begin to have failures where the round does not fire on first primer strike but doeson the second or third time then you may not be getting the primers in properly. Doing it by hand you can feel the squish or crunch when the primer is set properly. I can prolly load 150 an hour my way BUT they all fire the first time I pull the trigger and after a while I learned that speed wasn't as important as good ammo. As I said good luck and YMMV.

Take care Nate
    Remember the average response time of a 911 call is over 4 minutes. The average response time of a .357 is around 1300 F.P.S.