Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxPBcastco
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Converting Berdan primer pockets to Boxer

Self Deleted

Boolit Buddy
    The ring crimps are very hard to decap . The India and Pac made 303 is nearly impossible to water decap. You really have to hit with a solid blow and big hammer.Even then it may not work. Some 303 cases are easy though. SA. & FN cases use .217 primers and not much for a crimp. The 7.5 Swiss cases decap easy and if you have berdan primers you are good. Top of the heap for case quality too.
    n.h.schmidt

Boolit Man
    I just went through this with 80 or so WWII vintage 8x56r cases, as well as a couple 7.5x55 that I had lying around.

Some notes:
    1) Hydraulic decapping did not work on these for me. Once I cut the primers out with a flat-faced drill, the pockets were still completely filled with priming compound; perhaps if I had let them soak overnight, this method would have worked better.

2) I cut the primers out with a 7/32" drill ground to cut flat, with a relief for the Berdan anvil. I was able to pry the remaining ring of the old primers out with a small screwdriver.

3) Flattened the anvils with an RCBS primer pocket swager in an RC press. RCBS tools are not designed for this; I had previously bent a rod (replaced with long grade 8 1/4"-28 bolt turned to .30) and there was enough variation in the case head thickness that I deformed the spuds for the swager as well. Not a huge issue for me; I will request replacements from RCBS and make up a couple from hardened 4140 when I have the correct dimensions. RCBS seems to make these from a case-hardened mild steel which is not up to this task.

4) Drilled the primer pockets to .221 (#2 drill), glued in a .22 case with green Loctite. Drilled the primer hole .078 (#47 drill). Drilled a start for the primer pocket reamer with a #4 drill (.209). Cleaned up flash hole with flash hole deburrer and primer pocket with LR primer pocket uniformed.

5) 1/2" collet chuck makes batch processing brass for this fairly straightforward, particularly with rimmed cases. Given the amount of effort, I would not consider doing this for brass that is readily available.

It remains to be seen whether this all was worth the effort but it was a decent way to spend a couple days on the weekend.

Anything is worth it if it is enjoyable. (and Legal)

To be honest, I have not read every post, yes I'm lazy, sometimes anyway.
    The company that sells the reloading stuff for .22LR is now selling stuff to convert Berdan to Boxer.
    I ordered a set, among most of every thing else they sell but have not received anything from them yet.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345