RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Squirrel hunting

I have an OLD model 80 Marlin that I used to hunt fox squirrels with cb caps until CCI came out with CB longs in the early 80's. I tested them on a 15 yd target tacked to the end of a piece of firewood. I fired a three shot group with a receiver sight and went to check. I was really dissappointed when I only found one hole. I couldn't imagine how I could have missed so I split the wood and found all three welded one behind the other. They make less noise than an air rifle which doesn't disturb other squirrels and the 29 gr bullet does nicely on either head or lung shots without any meat damage. I still have the first bullets and will post pictures as soon as the wife sets up her camera for me.

17HMR or 17M2 are amazing squirrel rounds. 200 yard and 100 yard respectively.

Bow when I've been in the tree stand all day long and seen nothing but tree rats doing the shuffle and barking at me.

I do have to agree, hands down, 22LR is really fun to shoot. A CZ 452 will serve you well here.

Boolit Grand Master
    I think that hunters that really want to/ need to bring home meat use a shotgun. Youre more likely to get a kill with a spread of pellets than one 40gn slug. I will try it this coming squirrel season, I think it will help improve my skills as a shooter and provide a better challenge.
    Very true about the shotgun being easier to score with, especially when the leaves are still on the trees.

When using a shotgun I like a full choke with number 5 shot, it seems to kill a little better than #6, but with better patterns than #4. Anything from 12 guage down to .410 will work, The absolute best squirrel gun I ever used was a German 16 ga. double barrel that was choked full and full.

When using a .22, just about any load will kill them, the question is how fast. All coments below are about ammo are when used in a rifle.

.22 Long Rifle:

I don't like standard velocity solids; they work for head shots but aren't so good when body shots are the only choice.

High velocity solids work okay.

High velocity hollow points work, but may cause meat loss.

Hyper velocity (Stinger, Spitfire, Yellow Jacket) will cause excessive meat loss.

I have never bought or used any of the new subsonic hollow points, if they expand they would probably be okay.

.22 Short:

Usually a less powerful, more expensive round than the Long Rifle. However there are some good ones.

I really like the CCI high velocity hollow point. It works good out to about 35-40 yards, which is about the farthest you can see a squirrel in the timber around here.

With all that said, anymore I go squirrel hunting to relax. I am more likely to carry my Remington No 2 Rolling Block in .32 Colt than anything else.

Robert

Boolit Master

Any bullet in 35 whelen.
    Head shots much perfered.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Quote Originally Posted by clodhopper View Post
    Any bullet in 35 whelen.
    Head shots much perfered.
    Better make sure that round is loaded plenty hot if you are going to get enough penetration.

Nora
    If you don't have the time to do it right, when are you going to find the time to fix it?

Boolit Mold
    i always grab my .22 when squirrel hunting.....makes it intersting

below is my modified ruger 10/22 with .920 barrell and fajen legacy stock which helps me to get 1 hole groups at 25 yds and 3/8 at 50 yards and slightly under an inch at 100 when i do my part............but when looking at the picture its clear to see why i grab my 22 its just fun to hold let alone to shoot squirrels 80 yards off in the head

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0575.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	41229

Boolit Buddy
    .22lr, nice rifle! I have a 10/22 set up with a Volquartsen barrel and a Boyd's Blaster stock. It shoots like crazy!!!! But, the muzzle heavy feel that makes it so great to shoot makes it a pain to carry around. For the woods I usually carry my CZ 452. It's crazy accurate too, and carrys well. I'd also look at a Savage 9317 with the light barrel for head shots. But if you hit them in the body it's messy.

I shot many with a 14" TC contender match barrel. 40 gr solids where fine. Its just a squirrel.

Boolit Master

Would it be a good idea to use a paco tool and make up some of my own .22 boolits?
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, and I've got one.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

That's why i asked, Wayne haha. Do you remember what shoots good in the daisy?
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Buddy
    States that allow semi-auto rimfires for squirrel huntin make me want to move. I have one of the newer marlin semi's 795 I believe that is just a dream and very accurate, but Pa. bans all semi rifles for hunting.

22 LR always. Use HP bullets and you can take body shots. Standard velocity round nose is a no-no...no energy delivered, just punches a hole straight through with little damage or bleading. I don't think a shotgun is very sporting at all, too easy, damages meat, and very noisy.

My squirrel gun is my Remington 581 that I've had since I was 12yo.
    Last edited by youngda9; 02-22-2012 at 01:49 PM.

Boolit Master

Yes shotguns are VERY loud. With two of us shooting squirrels at the same time, I go partially deaf.
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Master

Yes shotguns are VERY loud. With two of us shooting squirrels at the same time, I go partially deaf.

Chris, You should get you a set of electronic earmuffs. You can hear the squirrels and not get hearing damage from the gunshots....dale

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Arisaka99 View Post
    Take care of that hearing guys .I am in the process of trying a new set of hearing aids. This will be my third set if I buy, had my first set at about 48 or 49, now 70. The process isn't going well hearing is so bad. $1200 an ear and still can't hear.

Protect your hearing at all cost.

Boolit Master

I guess i should put out for electronic muffs....
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

I haven't eaten a squirrel ( YET). I started a post last year here asking what they tasted like and got many responses as to the best way to prepare them. So, I plan to get a few this year on the ranch with my 1022T. It burps out the Federal bulk packs into one hole at 75 yards and maybe even at 100. I just haven't shot it for groups that far out yet. With it's factory bull barrel and target trigger, it should prove to be a good "sit down and be quiet" rig. The Leupold 3x9 lets me dial in the action, near or far, and the 36 grain Fed hollow point will really put them down for the count.

Boolit Master

I have used all manner of gun to take squirrel. If I am still hunting I prefer a .22LR. CCI Blazers or SGBs work great. I prefer a 12ga with full choke and 6-7.5s. if I am doing a drive type hunt. I like walking and getting them moving, then I bust them in the tree tops. Works well. Got one yesterday with a pelletgun in the back yard. It was a Crossman Handgun 10 pump. If I get a few more it is Crockpot time!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

There are times I hunt with the shotgun that I wish I had a .22 so that I could take a longer shot than I'm comfortable with the shotgun. Sometimes there is only a little bit sticking out, so if I had a scoped rifle I could hit it.
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ