WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30-30, 2400 & a Dacron Filler

Boolit Grand Master

30-30, 2400 & a Dacron Filler

30-30, 2400 & a Dacron filler

There have been several discussions regarding whether a dacron filler is “needed” with powders such as 2400, 4227, 4759, 5744 or 4198 under cast bullets in .30/.31 cal rifles. Some say the filler is not needed, some say it is and some even say it is dangerous due to pressure spikes.

My contention, based on considerable testing of loads with and without fillers, is that with light to medium weight cast bullets in the .30/.31 cal a dacron filler is beneficial by giving better consistent ignition and excellent accuracy. Whether or not the dacron filler is beneficial to you is your choice. I’ve not seen any indication of pressure spikes or other potentially dangerous problems associated with the use of a dacron filler during this testing or during the pressure testing of many test loads in different cartridges. I hadn’t used 2400 in CF rifle loads for quite a while so with the acquisition of a jug of Alliant 2400 I thought I’d work with it to develop a load for use with the GB C312-150-WFN in the 30-30 for use in my 21” Contender Barrel and in my 2 M94s.

The test bullets are cast in a Lee GB 6 cavity mould of WW + 2% tin alloy. They were inspected/selected for visual defects only, .014 aluminum GCs seated and then sized and lubed with Javelina in a .314 H die (as cast diameter). I then sized them at .311 in a Lee push through sizer.

The 30-30 cases were mixed manufacture with the flash holes reamed and were sized in a RCBS X-die. My 21” Contender test rifle 30-30 barrel is very sensitive to sizing and FTF is frequent if cases are not FL sized.

CCI 200 primers were used.

Test rifle was a Contender Carbine with a 10" twist 21" barrel. Scope was a 4X Weaver K4.

A M43 Oehler PBL was used to measure velocity and psi(M43). Start screen was 15’ from the muzzle and the M43 corrects the FPS to muzzle. Test strings were 10 shots at 100 yards.

Initial test loads were from 14 to 18 gr of 2400 in 1 gr increments without the dacron filler. The load at 16 gr proven the most accurate and quite consistent with the rifle loaded level on the bench. The average velocity was 1815 fps with a SD of 25 fps and an ES of 79 fps. The psi(M43) was 28,000 with a SD of 2,900 and an ES of 9,300. Group was 1.8”.

The 16 gr load without the dacron filler was then tested for powder position sensitivity by shooting a test string with the muzzle pointed down after loading and gently brought back to level to fire thus keeping the powder in the front of the case against the bullet. The average velocity was 1781 fps with the SD at 12 fps and the ES at 28 fps. The psi(M43) was 26,000 with the SD at 7000 and the ES at 1,900. Group size was 1.7” with the center of the group 1.75” lower.

Continuing the powder sensitivity test the muzzle was raised and then gently lowered to level for testing thus putting the powder at the back of the case against the primer. The average velocity was 1861 fps with the SD at 16 fps and the ES at 38 fps. The psi(M43) was 33,800 with the SD at 1,100 and the ES at 3,000. The group size was 1.9 and was 1.8” higher.

We see an obvious indication of powder position sensitivity. Positioning the powder forward and backward in the case both produced much more consistent ignition giving more uniform velocity and psi than with the powder just "level" in the case. While the group sized were relatively the same there was considerable vertical string giving a total group of all 3 groups of 4.82”. Thus we see a vertical stringing problem with accuracy depending on how consistently the rifle is shouldered and fired. On a target range when bench shooting this can easily be controlled and the vertical stringing alleviated. However, for me a potential 4.75 moa vertical stringing group in a field shooting environment where “positioning” of the powder prior to shooting is not practical is….well…just not practical.

Thus I proceeded to test the 2400 loads with a dacron filler. Previous experience dictated that an accuracy load with the dacron filler would probably be at a slightly lower velocity and with a lesser powder charge. I loaded 10 shot test strings of 13.5 gr to 15.5 gr of the Alliant 2400 and used a ½ - ¾ gr dacron filler.

The accuracy load proved to be 14.5 gr of 2400 with the dacron filler. The same cases and primers were used in this test. The average velocity was 1722 fps with an SD at 12 fps and the ES at 42 fps. The psi(M43) was 28,700 with the SD at 1,200 and the ES at 3,400. The 10 shot group was 1.4”.

No need to test powder position sensitivity as the powder is held in position against the primer by the dacron filler regardless of the rifles held position prior to shouldering and firing. Subsequent further testing of this load to 200 yards shows excellent accuracy. This is just what I wanted for this bullet in the 30-30. This load should be quite deadly on small to medium/small varmints and game let alone deadly on rocks, sticks, dirt clods and cow pies.

Note in M43 data printout the time/pressure traces and the consistency of the “Area” and Rise” data; we can see there is absolutely no indication of “pressure spiking”. Those are pretty much “picture perfect” traces. Also note that I often trace through the bullet holes in the target onto the data sheet for a group record.

As stated previously the choice to use or not use the dacron filler is yours. For me, I use the dacron filler with this and many other loads. I do not always use the dacron filler and list my criteria in the “Filler” sticky listed above in this forum.

This test demonstrates the dacron filler works when used as directed/intended and is indeed very beneficial to increasing ignition consistency where ignition is inconsistent because of powder position sensitivity with certain powder/bullet combinations and thus increases accuracy.

I’m also convinced, based on more and more testing, that the dacron filler is also beneficial in decreasing the possibility of pressure spikes or other dangerous phenomenon when used correctly with appropriate powders. This test is indicative of the same results obtained when 4227, 4759, 5744 and 4198 are used with medium range loads , especially with the lighter to middle weight bullets for the cartridge in question. I highly recommend the dacron filler be used with those powders when lighter to middle weight cast bullets for the cartridge are used, especially in the medium velcocity range under 1900 fps.

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 02-17-2012 at 12:37 AM.

Boolit Master

thank you Larry,,,
    I will incorporate into my 30-30 loads
    atr

Boolit Grand Master

Excellent write up Larry.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Thank you Larry. Finally, some well researched material. I have only started shooting 2400 in the last 12 months as Alliant powders are now available in NZ again. I was not comfortable with such a small dose rattling around in my .303 Brits. Best load is 13.8gr under a 205gr boolit. I use one of my wool wads over the powder and this is the result at 100m/110y.

Sub MOA from a Lee Enfield with cast is nothing trivial.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Larry

another great answer to the question we have not asked yet or just wondering about.

Thanks Larry, I've been testing a 30/30 lately and I have experienced the "vertical stringing" you speak of and I have been wondering about a filler. You may have solved an issue for me.
    You boys gonna draw them pistols or whistle Dixie

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent fishing."
    ------Babylonian Proverb

Boolit Master
    Larry
    Excellent read but you need to be careful as I'm starting to expect no less from you.
    The only question I have is how well does the Dacron stay in place under recoil in the
    magazine tube? I realize these loads don't have a lot of recoil so it's probably not an issue.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Grand Master

Wolfer

Actually many years ago I moved from a dacron wad to a dacron filler because the wad would not stay in place under recoil in magazine tubes and box magazines with various cartridges. After numerous rounds going "click-bang" as in hang fire after being subjected to 3 - 5 rounds worth of recoil I pulled some bullets and the wad had moved and allowed powder migration around the wad. I found that with a proper dacron filler this did not happen. Hence I dropped the use of a wad and only use a dacron as a filler.

I've found the dacron does not have to be packed. A fluffy filler is all that is needed as long as it completely fills the airspace between powder and bullet base. I've pulled bullets and checked after 10 - 20 rounds not only in the 30-30 but in several other cartridges up through the '06, 375 H&H and 45-70of recoil and found no movement of the dacron and no migration of the powder. Just use enough to fill the space is the key.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Larry
    Very informational. I wonder if you could expand it further. Maybe to include any positive affect on a non-GC bullet base.

Boolit Buddy
    Excellent write up Larry. You wouldn't happen to have velocities for a 170gr. boolit over 16.0 of 2400 would you? This is the load that is most accurate for me in my .30-30. I haven't used Dacron yet so that may be in the next go-round. I don't have a chrono, so I have NO idea how fast this load may be.

Emrah

Boolit Grand Master

Well done, certainly food for thought.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

emrah

Sorry I don't because I've always pushed 170 - 188 gr cast with 4895 in the 20-20. No need for a filler with the loads I use there. Now I'm finding LeveRevolution powder to be an excellent one for top end loads with bullets in that weight range. Might load some 311041s up with 16 gr 2400 just to see one of these days though

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

Larry; very good read and really appreciate you taking the time to test and report, this should be enough to get the naysayers wisenhimered up to the benefits of a dacron filler with 2400, EVEN IF THEY NOW THINK IT ONLY APPLIES TO THE THUTTY_THUTTY Thanks
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Emrah
    I'd have to check but I believe 16 grs got me on either side of 1600 in my 336' 17grs gets me
    on either side of 1700, this is my best load so far. Bullet is 311-041 in my alloy weighs 177
    Grs checked and lubed.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Grand Master
    I find it interesting that the filler made the rifle prefer a different powder charge. 1.5 gr difference with 2400 in a 30-30 is a bunch!

I have always used 16 gr of 2400 with the RD311165 bullet with no filler. I never really tested it off the bench so I can't say how much vertical I got as I was a larger cause of group size then the load was.

I may need to do some testing this spring, if all this darn snow ever melts.

Boolit Master
    Good Shooting, Jeff! That 2400 is some nice powder, eh?

Ron

Boolit Master
    Larry, you say a dacron filler is suitablr for medium boolet weight, mid range loads.

What is your thoughts on a heavy for caliber, medium load?
    Such as a 311299 (200gr.) in a .308 win?

Do you weight the dacron, or just add it to suit the space requirements?

I have been having some super results as of late with this boolet and IMR SR4759.
    Averaging under .9", and as low as .6". This average group size is with powder charges between 19-22.0 grains. This of course is at a bench, carefully chambering the rounds. As I climbed higher in powder charge/pressure, the groups distinctly opened up. By the time I got to 24.0, my group was 2".
    Thinking back to it, I wonder if I wasnt being cautious enough with my powder position, or the load/alloy limitations were met.
    The thing that confuses the pressure limit situation, is that my 25gr. Charge/load shot into 1.75".

My alloy is 17-18lbs Wheel weight lead + 8 feet of 50/50 lead/tin solder. Air cooled.

All bullets were visually checked, weight segregated.
    The loaded rounds were tuned for concetricity. (less than .003")
    Seating depth put the bullets firmly centered in the rifling.

Whats your thoughts on this?

Boolit Grand Master

[QUOTE=Dthunter;1579905]Larry, you say a dacron filler is suitablr for medium boolet weight, mid range loads.

What is your thoughts on a heavy for caliber, medium load?
    Such as a 311299 (200gr.) in a .308 win?

There is a "sticky" titled "filler" at the top of this forum. My posts in that thread give a pretty detailed description of the what, when and why of my use of a dacron filler. I'll give a brief answer here but suggest you look at that thread as it is informative.

Basicall with cast bullet laods using 2400 up through R?22 in burning rate I will use the dacron filler when loading density is less than 80 - 85% depending on the cartridge.

Do you weight the dacron, or just add it to suit the space requirements?

I buy the dacron in sheets called "batting" at fabric shops. A while back my wife bought me 10 yards because it was on sale and that will last me for years and I use a lot of dacron fillers

I cut the sheet into strips (use sharp scissors) about 5/8 - 3/4" wide just eyeballing it as i cut it. I then have cut "reference" pieces of various weights from 1/3 to 1 1/2 gr. Then with the cartridge, powder, load and air space left I "eyeball" cut chunks of the right size. I have conducted numerous tests of dacron filler weight variation and find no measureable difference in fps variation or psi variation with fillers that are close to each other in weight. What I did find was that the filler must be a "filler" and fill the air space while retaining loft. To little filler leaving air space is not good and compacting the dacron in bottle necked cartridges detracts from accuracy. In the .308W with medium burning powders a dacron filler of 1/2 to 3/4 gr is sufficient. with faster powders giving less loading density it can take 3/4 - 1 gr. With slower burning powders giveing 60 - 80% loading density it can take 1/3 - 1/2 gr. How much depends strickly on loading desnity. The key is it is not the weight of the dacron but the loft capacity to just fill the air space.

I have been having some super results as of late with this boolet and IMR SR4759.
    Averaging under .9", and as low as .6". This average group size is with powder charges between 19-22.0 grains. This of course is at a bench, carefully chambering the rounds.

4759 is an excellent powder to use in the .308W - 30-06 sized cartridges with most medium to heavy cast bullets when bench shooting. This is because it ignites easily at lower psi for more uniform internal ballistics. The "powder position is easily controlled when bench firing as you indicate.

As I climbed higher in powder charge/pressure, the groups distinctly opened up. By the time I got to 24.0, my group was 2".
    Thinking back to it, I wonder if I wasnt being cautious enough with my powder position, or the load/alloy limitations were met.
    The thing that confuses the pressure limit situation, is that my 25gr. Charge/load shot into 1.75".

Nothing confusing there, the load was pushing the bullet to fast in acceleration and causing unwanted unbalancing of the bullet (as in deformation from setback, sloughing or obturation). The higher velocity of the increased load gave the bullet more RPM which is what caused the inaccuracy in flight. Basically your load exceeded the RPM threshold for the componants used. Had really nothing to do with powder position sensitivity, you just pushed the bullet to hard with 4759.

My alloy is 17-18lbs Wheel weight lead + 8 feet of 50/50 lead/tin solder. Air cooled.

That is a soft alloy and the bullet is susceptable to adverse deformation when accellerated too hard. You might try WQing the bullets to harden them (they will withstand a bit faster acceleration that way) or you can switch to a powder in the medium to slower range to get higher velocity if that's what you want. My favorite medium powder in the .308W with 311299 is 4895 with a dacron filler. AA4350 or H4831SC are good slow burners ans I use a dacron filler with loading densities less than 85%.

All bullets were visually checked, weight segregated.
    The loaded rounds were tuned for concetricity. (less than .003")
    Seating depth put the bullets firmly centered in the rifling.

That's the best way to get the best accuracy regardless of the powder used. If 4759 is the powder of choice then you might drop back a couple grains from your accuracy load and try a dacron filler of 3/4 gr +/-. It might improve on the internal ballistics. Your accuracy is pretty good (5 shot groups?) and may be hard to improve upon. However, if accuracy is the same then the dacron filler may prevent that odd flyer when you don't get the "powder positioning" correct for each shot at the bench. I also suggest 10 shot groups if you are not using that many now. It will give you a much better read of the accuracy of your load and rifle.

Whats your thoughts on this?

Final thought is if your rifle has a 10" twist barrel you will find the best accuracy is going to be in the 1700 - 1950 fps range depending on the powder burning rate used. It your rifle has a 12" twist then best accuracy can be up into the 2100 - 2200 fps range depending on the powder used and the bullet fit among other things.

I guess I wasn't so "brief" after all......

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Thanks for taking the time Larry!
    I will try some slower powders first as you suggest.
    I would really like to get my velocities closer to 2000-2100 ish.
    Purely for trajectory reasons.
    I would love to shoot longer distances with it!
    Hoping to stretch it to 500 yards+ and maintain as much accuracy as I can.

Boolit Master
    Any experience with Puff-Lon as a filler instead of the dacron?
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast